“Amazing place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newbridge, Ireland
“Amazing place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We got married in Kinnitty Castle last year and had the most amazing experience. We had travelled down on several occasions in the course of planning the wedding and each time we were there we were greeted by lovely friendly and helpful staff and the food in the bar and restaurant was always amazing!! Love the feel of the bar it is so cosy and warm very relaxing space. Our wedding could not have been more perfect and all of our guests raved about the bedrooms and the food! Each room is completely different so I visited all my friends rooms the next day for a peek in and they are fab. The deco etc is all so unique in each room. I cannot wait for our next stay to Kinntty. I would highly recommend anyone to visit the castle especially if from travelling abroad as it is such a beautiful building in a gorgeous part of Ireland. Very rustic/Irish feel to the place and has a really magical atmosphere. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The De La Paor room or the room across the hall from this would be my two favourite rooms!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
kinnittymanagement, Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Jen O

Thank you for writing a review following your wedding here. Something we like to think we do well here at Kinnitty is Weddings and I am delighted that your comments reiterate that point. I hope you come back and share many more happy memories with us in the future

Regards

The Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The first appearance of Kinnitty Castle as you make your way up the drive is stunning. The building is large and imposing and beautiful. The entrance hall is just as impressive with lit candles lighting the red carpeted stairway. Our room on first appearance was breathtaking (De La Pore) massive four poster twin bed with equally chunky antique wardrobe, table and bedside units. Nice touch was finding the chaise lounge (which I would have liked to fit in my case to take home!!!) and lovely large picture on wall as well as other artwork. The bathroom was massive with a roll topped bath in the centre. Unlike other comments where people mentioned it was cold, our room was snuggly warm. Every single staff member I had contact with was friendly, helpful and informative. One of the staff, Maureen I think her name was saw me with video cam in hand and very kindly offered to show me some of the other guest rooms and give me a bit of an orientation of the castle layout. The food we ate was delicious and the protions large. What I do think lets this hotel down somewhat is the general state of the room. As I mentioned, on first appearance everything is stunning, however, there were lots of dead flies and cobwebs on the window sills. Most of the furniture was dusty and there was some mould and damp in the corner of the room. The bathroom floor had linolium instead of tiles or a lovely wooden floor and the taps and fittings, did not fit and although old were not properly maintained or cleaned. The canopy to the four poster was very dusty and its drapes had come loose. What I think I would be tempted to do to improve the situation would be to close one room at a time and concentrate on bringing it up to full 'antique' standard. A fresh lick of paint a replacement of the bathroom floors and sanitary ware fittings, as well as a thorough deep clean of all areas. I believe the transformation would be amazing and I question why this wasn;t done while the hotel was closed? I worry that the future of this establisment might be put at risk because of the lack of detail. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay but would I go back again? Yes but only if the general standard of the rooms improve.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Graham B B

Thank you for your comments, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that the level of customer service you encountered was to your standards. We pride ourselves on the standard of food and quality of service you provide to our guests. Bearing in mind that the Castle is of a certain age we do suffer with a number of maintenance issues and you ones that you have listed are duly noted and our team have making improvements on these momentarily. We do hope that you would return to Kinnitty Castle Hotel some day.

Regards

The Management Team
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We have visited Kinnitty Castle many times and have nothing but praise for the place, we recently got married there and I couldn't think of anywhere else we would rather have had our special day. Our guests, families and ourselves were treated in a very special way, nothing is ever too much trouble for the staff , they are the most attentive people we have ever met. The food has always been great while we have stayed, an excellent chef and it shows. The castle is an old Irish castle with all the charms that this brings, the rooms are all different and this is what makes each stay a new adventure. We are heading back for another visit in a couple of weeks and are really looking forward to it. Kinnitty is not a boring run of the mill chain hotel with lifeless decor,rooms and staff, it is a great value break away from the norm with excellent, staff,food and accommodation. It is a very special castle.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
kinnittymanagement, Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful report on your event here at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, it is always nice to hear that people appreciate the Castle for what it is and the charm that our staff and atmosphere bring. We are looking forward to meeting you on your return visit soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had our wedding in kinnitty castle last October, and I can honestly say I have zero complaints.

The castle is exactly that an old castle, it's quirky and has its own charm. I love the feel of the place, immediately welcoming with open fires and friendly staff.

Coming up to our wedding we called over to the castle many times and sure that was to finalise details but we could have emAiled. We just loved going over and enjoying the place.

If I could I would rate the staff higher than a 5, they really couldn't have done enough for us. They are little gems. On both sides of our families we have some tricky people that are in most cases impossible to please. The morning after our wedding I was expecting to get some digs or complaints from these but they were singing the praises of how lovely their rooms were and how well they slept.
The food was also amazing. We offered steak as an option for our wedding meal. Every person who got it was asked how they would like it cooked. This is unheard of at weddings in the most part. For a wedding with over 120 guests I honestly don't know how the kitchen managed to cook steaks to individual tastes. Just Brilliant.

I love this place and honestly can't wait for our next visit ...., hope its soon :)

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

I am delighted you took the opportunity to talk about your recent stay and wedding. What a lovely review and I am glad all your friends and family enjoyed their stay.

Belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Kinnitty castle, has that old world charm, some may even say it's a bit quirky but what would you expect 19th century castle in the middle of Ireland!

We spent two great nights here, the food was great, the staff lovely, weather wasn't bad either - but why could it have been better.

Well the room and the castle was overall cold. Apparently the heating was off during the week in January because the castle was closed and when we arrived Friday evening it was just back on. Dissappointing, especially as an old castle like this would, and did take ages to heat up.

Secondly although the rooms etc were generally clean, attention to detail was missing - cobwebs which should have been removed, excessive dust in the radiators, all the mirrors needed a good clean, ultimately - especially after a close down the rooms should have been spotless but it wasn't the case.

This has great potential, with attention to detail, more heat and opssibly with some thoughts of leisure facilities, gym, sauna, steam room etc this place would be excellent. Would I go again? Would love too but if the details weren't right the next time - then no!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your positive review, we are aware of these issues and have rectified them, the heating is now on fully at the Castle and all our guest rooms have been fully deep cleaned for the busy season ahead. I do hope you would consider coming back to Kinnitty Castle Hotel and I apologise if these issues hindered your stay in any way

Cavan, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here for two nights from 1st Feb. Looking back it was two nights to many. On arrival the hotel was sooooo cold. Informed us they had ran out of heating oil. Checked in and headed for our room. As soon as we entered our room it was obvious that cleanliness was a huge issue. There was damp on the ceiling walls etc and some mould growing on the wall, which would have to have been present for quite a while and dead flies lying on window boards. For obvious reasons we looked for a different room. Next room was not much better. Would have left only we had a voucher for two night stay. Keep Away!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, we are aware of the room that you are referring to on your initial check-in and that room has now been held back for maintenance, I am deeply sorry you were subjected to this at first but the issues are now under control. As we had just re-opened for the weekend, we had just replenished our stock of heating oil which is why the castle felt cold initially, again, please accept my sincere apologies for this.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We got the last room available, as there was a wedding the next day,and we are so pleased we stayed there, the reception staff did a great job, we took the deal that included dinner as well as breakfast and that was great value for the price. The room was right at the top looking out onto the lawns and was very pleasant ,it was just what we were looking for to stay in Ireland, the hotel had a great feel to it ,We went for a walk around the grounds which are well looked after. This hotel is well priced and offers good value,it was an amazing place to stay in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
kinnittymanagement, Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Head Chef 57,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent visit to Kinnitty Castle hotel, we take pride in our hotel and we are measured by how guests evaluate our services and facilities and we appreciate the generous review of the service, staff and facilities that we provide.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you once more to Kinnitty Castle Hotel

Been to Kinnitty Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!