“fond memories” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Dolce Vita

You added La Dolce Vita to your Saves list
La Dolce Vita
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Esterillos Oeste, beach, 50 meters from Bus Stop, Esterillos Oeste 60901, Costa Rica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Shoreline, Washington
“fond memories”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Its been two years since I stayed at La Dolce Vita but my memories of this small resort are pleasant. On the beach, strong air conditioning. The small staff is high on security and very freindly. Easy acess to the beach and the local shops.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Barbara, thanks for reviewing and having, after one year, still good memories of La Dolce Vita. We are proud we helped you to have fond memories of Esterillos Oeste and of the hotel and hope we will have the pleasure to host you again soon! Best Regards and Pura Vida. info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were looking for peace, quiet, tranquility, and friendly, warm waves. La Dolce Vita and the Esterillos area delivered on all fronts :)

The room we stayed in was simple and immaculate. We were able to get food from the local super and cook our lunch and dinners in the kitchenette. The air conditioning in the bedroom was powerful, which was great for us because we were coming from much colder climes. The fridge was full sized and held everything we had. The wifi worked fine and we had multiple people streaming videos with no issues. There was a couch that converted to a full bed that made this a great place for us and our children (ages 10 and 12)

The hotel is like the room: simple and immaculate. There is a small kidney shaped pool that our kids loved to relax in after playing in the ocean. There is a small deck area with partial shade. The rooms are on one side of this area: they are lined up end to end. The surrounding garden is beautiful and well maintained. The hotel borders a camping area, and it can get loud on the weekends, but we were so tired by the end of the day that we didn't notice.

The hotel sits about 30 feet away from the beach, this is about as good as it gets for surfing. I'm an intermediate at best surfer, and was able to get 4-5 hours a day in the water, with lots of long rides, in the morning and early evening. Breakfast is served in the morning with coffee, toast, jam, and amazing fresh fruit.

The waves were chest to head high, but gentle and crumbly on the outside, perfect for longboarding. The waves on the inside were beach breaks, and there were a lot more shortboarders on the inside. I didnt surf on the inside very much, the outside waves gave much longer rides.

Everyone was very friendly on the waves, and during the week the break was completely uncrowded. There were gentle sections that the kids could boogieboard in, and the water was bathtub warm.

Esterillos Oeste is a sleepy town with one main road that has a bar, a place to rent surfboards, a small market, and a restaurant. In the evenings people would come to the beach to hang out and watch the surfers. We were usually too tired after the evening surf to make the short walk 'into' town to visit the bar, but it is a very short walk and everything feels very convenient.

In the afternoons (after the morning surf and breakfast) we would take the kids to Esterillos Centro, about 5 minutes away by car, where there is a beautiful, deserted beach. The tide would be out by this time and the water was 3-4 feet deep on a shallow shelf that went out about 100 yards. Mellow waves would hit that shelf and explode into walls of whitewater, which made for great boogie boarding that the kids absolutely loved.

The caretaker, his wife, and son were very friendly and patient with my terrible Spanish. The owner was very accommodating and did a last minute re-schedule when we found we had not booked the right dates.

I'm back from vacation now and still dreaming about those morning dawn patrols where I was one of four people out on the water. I hope to come back and stay at La Dolce Vita soon, it was an amazing, restorative experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friends, thank you very much for your nice and comprehensive report on "La Dolce Vita" !! We all are very happy to know that you had such a great time with us. We hope to see you soon. Pura Vida !! info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Tapa, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights. We loved every minute. As we came from Europe, time difference forced us to lay down at 8pm and to wake at 5am. We prepared coffee, took mugs and chairs and sat to the beach to watch sunrise. It was awesome! After I run by the beach, wife prepared breakfast and we swam for long time in warm ocean and took suntan. Rooms- kichenette and bedroom- were clean, AC worked quiet, As we had car, we did every day radial trips- to Tarcoles cocodriles watch, to Manuel Antonio and long roundtrip through Cordilleras. We wanted hotel with reasonable price right on the beach and we got it. Good value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friends, thank you very much for your review, We all are glad to know that you had such a great time with us and that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to your next visit to Costa Rica and La Dolce Vita. Best regards and Pura Vida! info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I was extremely happy with this hotel for the price, location, service, and the fact that it met my needs very well. I think I will be returning there for my surf trips in the foreseeable future.

I'm a middle aged SUP and longboard surfer who travels to Costa Rica solely for surf. I do not require much in the way of amenities. I usually surf first thing in the morning, and often a second time later if the wind stays down or backs off in the evening, and/or if there are more favorable tides later in the day.

With an extremely short walk outside of the gate of the hotel into a small grassy area adjacent to the beach parking area, you can check the surf in the shade of trees at the beachbreak immediately out front of the hotel, and the reef break just outside and a few dozen yard East. The reef break is a great point style longboard and SUP break that allows for long rides, with a lot of cutback sections, and the occasional running sections that allow for nose rides. The beach and reef area offers a lot of rolling peaks between the shore break and outside main peak of the reef that are also good for longboards, SUPs, and occasionally shortboards. The inside beachbreak/shorebreak is the real spot for shortboarding, offering more walled up sections. With a really solid swell the inside can get heavy and hollow, depending a little on the condition of the sand banks. When I was still shortboarding, that was my favorite area for shortboarding in that town. There are also other reefs (to the East) and beachbreak peaks (to the West) nearby, though that immediate reef and beachbreak area is the main surf attraction of the town. With the exception of the shorebreak on big swells though, I wouldn't really consider the waves particularly challenging or high performance, and it was not a favorite day trip spot for me until I got older. The spots are rather tide sensitive, not offering much quality within a couple hours of low, with mid to high tides being the best.

The location of the hotel for a surfer is really the best you can do in that town. My expectations in the way of a room are minimal, and this was actually a step up in quality over my usual accommodations. I was in one of the first floor rooms. I was happy with the bed and the multitude of pillows. Air conditioning in bedroom is enough to freeze you out if you want. I tended to turn it up during the middle of the day to get some of the cool air out to the living room where there was a ceiling fan and it got a bit warm. I probably could have slept with windows open during nights, but there was some animal noise, and occasionally noise from people in town in the evenings on weekends. The lifeguards at the parking area tend to keep the beach fairly clean, and they and others might have a trash fire or bonfire going in the evenings, the faint smoke from which would also leave me wanting to leave the windows closed instead.

The bathroom is small but navigable and nice. Water pressure a little suspect at times.

The living room can be a bit awkward. The convertible couch/bed blocks access to the fridge somewhat, as well as to extending the kitchen table out completely. Storage of my 9' board also made things a little more awkward in there. Not really enough to bother me much, but I think it would be hard to share the place with another surfer and his gear, and my girl might get a little frustrated dealing with my board in the middle of things as well. Without a big board though, I think it'd be fine for either. I was able to use the kitchen table as a desk for working on my laptop. One drawback was the internet capability. I'm not sure if the bandwidth was limited by the town's capability or the hotel's (or both). Seems there were days when I didn't have much bandwidth to play with, and this was definitely more noticeable when the hotel was full. I take long trips and need to get some business done while on them. It was not bad enough to discourage another stay there, but I will have to be prepared to have difficulties getting certain things done while there.

It's a short walk to a mini-super that has a pretty decent selection of food, beverages, beer, liquor, and beach-going odds and ends. The kitchen in the room has a couple of burners for cooking, as well as pot and pan, which I used a bit. A little hard to get the burner temps right for cooking my rice, though I got the hang of it over the long trip. The fridge is a pretty good size.

The small staff was extremely pleasant, helpful, and diligent, and a big plus for the place. Really nice plants and walls surround you outside of the rooms and by the pool to make it a quite pleasant little environment.

That should cover it. Great spot!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friend, we thank you very much for your review. Your words and comments, so keen, will certainly help us to improve the logistic and some aspects of the hotel. We are happy you enjoied your stay and look forward to see you again in the near future. Pura Vida. info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

This little hotel is a lovely find, right on the beautiful Playa Esterillos. Rooms have a kitchen, sofa, bedroom and small bathroom and are clean, comfortable and well air conditioned. The hosts could not be more helpful and served a fresh continental breakfast to us on our patio. They also recommended a good restaurant within walking distance ( Los Almendros).
Playa Esterillos is a laid back resort, popular with Costa Rican families staying at the nearby campsite. A lovely relaxing stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friends, thank you so much for your warm review. All our staff is very proud of your comments. In our hotel we share all reviews on a daily basis and words like yours push all of us to give the very best service and experience we can. We look forward to your next visit to Costa Rica and La Dolce Vita in Esterillos Oeste. info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Ponca City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for our first few days in Costa Rica. It's a no-frills hotel, but it is very neat, very clean, safe, and the staff is super helpful and friendly. The hotel sits directly on the beach, perfect for an early morning swim or to watch the sunset in the evening. Emilio and Jasmine took great care of us and were fantastic hosts. If I'm ever back in the area (hopefully soon!) I'd stay here again without question.

A quick tip: to find the hotel you need to turn right on the 2nd street past the Super Sol grocery. We arrived at night and it looked like a wrong turn but, you just have to go for it, our GPS didn't find the turn properly and the signs are hard to see on unlit streets.

Room Tip: There is one second floor room, on the end, with a huge window that looks directly out over the beac...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friends, thank you very much for your warm review. We are glad to know that you enjoyed what La Dolce Vita has to offer.Your words will motivate us to make always the best for our guests! We are looking forward for your next trip to Costa Rica and to the hotel. Best Regards. info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel is located right on the beach. Beach is wide and sandy. The hotel has a gate by the beach which closes at night to keep the place secure. The room offers a kitchenette with a living room area and separate bedroom with air conditioning. The room is on the first floor with a private patio. Breakfast is served to your room. It was walking distance to local restaurant "Los Amigos" which had great and cheap local food. The appetizers were a little pricey though. Also there is also a small grocery right around the corner from this hotel which was very convenient.
This small village is about 20 minutes from Jaco, and very quaint and rural.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear friends, thank you very much for you very nice comments. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay in Esterillos Oeste and that La Dolce Vita was part of this success. We hope you will visit our beach again and stay with us on another occasion. Pura Vida! info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz

Been to La Dolce Vita? Share your experiences!