“Sweet life” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Dolce Vita

You added La Dolce Vita to your Saves list
La Dolce Vita
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Esterillos Oeste, beach, 50 meters from Bus Stop, Esterillos Oeste 60901, Costa Rica   |
Tapa, Estonia
“Sweet life”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights. We loved every minute. As we came from Europe, time difference forced us to lay down at 8pm and to wake at 5am. We prepared coffee, took mugs and chairs and sat to the beach to watch sunrise. It was awesome! After I run by the beach, wife prepared breakfast and we swam for long time in warm ocean and took suntan. Rooms- kichenette and bedroom- were clean, AC worked quiet, As we had car, we did every day radial trips- to Tarcoles cocodriles watch, to Manuel Antonio and long roundtrip through Cordilleras. We wanted hotel with reasonable price right on the beach and we got it. Good value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friends, thank you very much for your review, We all are glad to know that you had such a great time with us and that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to your next visit to Costa Rica and La Dolce Vita. Best regards and Pura Vida! info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I was extremely happy with this hotel for the price, location, service, and the fact that it met my needs very well. I think I will be returning there for my surf trips in the foreseeable future.

I'm a middle aged SUP and longboard surfer who travels to Costa Rica solely for surf. I do not require much in the way of amenities. I usually surf first thing in the morning, and often a second time later if the wind stays down or backs off in the evening, and/or if there are more favorable tides later in the day.

With an extremely short walk outside of the gate of the hotel into a small grassy area adjacent to the beach parking area, you can check the surf in the shade of trees at the beachbreak immediately out front of the hotel, and the reef break just outside and a few dozen yard East. The reef break is a great point style longboard and SUP break that allows for long rides, with a lot of cutback sections, and the occasional running sections that allow for nose rides. The beach and reef area offers a lot of rolling peaks between the shore break and outside main peak of the reef that are also good for longboards, SUPs, and occasionally shortboards. The inside beachbreak/shorebreak is the real spot for shortboarding, offering more walled up sections. With a really solid swell the inside can get heavy and hollow, depending a little on the condition of the sand banks. When I was still shortboarding, that was my favorite area for shortboarding in that town. There are also other reefs (to the East) and beachbreak peaks (to the West) nearby, though that immediate reef and beachbreak area is the main surf attraction of the town. With the exception of the shorebreak on big swells though, I wouldn't really consider the waves particularly challenging or high performance, and it was not a favorite day trip spot for me until I got older. The spots are rather tide sensitive, not offering much quality within a couple hours of low, with mid to high tides being the best.

The location of the hotel for a surfer is really the best you can do in that town. My expectations in the way of a room are minimal, and this was actually a step up in quality over my usual accommodations. I was in one of the first floor rooms. I was happy with the bed and the multitude of pillows. Air conditioning in bedroom is enough to freeze you out if you want. I tended to turn it up during the middle of the day to get some of the cool air out to the living room where there was a ceiling fan and it got a bit warm. I probably could have slept with windows open during nights, but there was some animal noise, and occasionally noise from people in town in the evenings on weekends. The lifeguards at the parking area tend to keep the beach fairly clean, and they and others might have a trash fire or bonfire going in the evenings, the faint smoke from which would also leave me wanting to leave the windows closed instead.

The bathroom is small but navigable and nice. Water pressure a little suspect at times.

The living room can be a bit awkward. The convertible couch/bed blocks access to the fridge somewhat, as well as to extending the kitchen table out completely. Storage of my 9' board also made things a little more awkward in there. Not really enough to bother me much, but I think it would be hard to share the place with another surfer and his gear, and my girl might get a little frustrated dealing with my board in the middle of things as well. Without a big board though, I think it'd be fine for either. I was able to use the kitchen table as a desk for working on my laptop. One drawback was the internet capability. I'm not sure if the bandwidth was limited by the town's capability or the hotel's (or both). Seems there were days when I didn't have much bandwidth to play with, and this was definitely more noticeable when the hotel was full. I take long trips and need to get some business done while on them. It was not bad enough to discourage another stay there, but I will have to be prepared to have difficulties getting certain things done while there.

It's a short walk to a mini-super that has a pretty decent selection of food, beverages, beer, liquor, and beach-going odds and ends. The kitchen in the room has a couple of burners for cooking, as well as pot and pan, which I used a bit. A little hard to get the burner temps right for cooking my rice, though I got the hang of it over the long trip. The fridge is a pretty good size.

The small staff was extremely pleasant, helpful, and diligent, and a big plus for the place. Really nice plants and walls surround you outside of the rooms and by the pool to make it a quite pleasant little environment.

That should cover it. Great spot!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friend, we thank you very much for your review. Your words and comments, so keen, will certainly help us to improve the logistic and some aspects of the hotel. We are happy you enjoied your stay and look forward to see you again in the near future. Pura Vida. info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

This little hotel is a lovely find, right on the beautiful Playa Esterillos. Rooms have a kitchen, sofa, bedroom and small bathroom and are clean, comfortable and well air conditioned. The hosts could not be more helpful and served a fresh continental breakfast to us on our patio. They also recommended a good restaurant within walking distance ( Los Almendros).
Playa Esterillos is a laid back resort, popular with Costa Rican families staying at the nearby campsite. A lovely relaxing stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friends, thank you so much for your warm review. All our staff is very proud of your comments. In our hotel we share all reviews on a daily basis and words like yours push all of us to give the very best service and experience we can. We look forward to your next visit to Costa Rica and La Dolce Vita in Esterillos Oeste. info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Ponca City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for our first few days in Costa Rica. It's a no-frills hotel, but it is very neat, very clean, safe, and the staff is super helpful and friendly. The hotel sits directly on the beach, perfect for an early morning swim or to watch the sunset in the evening. Emilio and Jasmine took great care of us and were fantastic hosts. If I'm ever back in the area (hopefully soon!) I'd stay here again without question.

A quick tip: to find the hotel you need to turn right on the 2nd street past the Super Sol grocery. We arrived at night and it looked like a wrong turn but, you just have to go for it, our GPS didn't find the turn properly and the signs are hard to see on unlit streets.

Room Tip: There is one second floor room, on the end, with a huge window that looks directly out over the beac...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friends, thank you very much for your warm review. We are glad to know that you enjoyed what La Dolce Vita has to offer.Your words will motivate us to make always the best for our guests! We are looking forward for your next trip to Costa Rica and to the hotel. Best Regards. info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel is located right on the beach. Beach is wide and sandy. The hotel has a gate by the beach which closes at night to keep the place secure. The room offers a kitchenette with a living room area and separate bedroom with air conditioning. The room is on the first floor with a private patio. Breakfast is served to your room. It was walking distance to local restaurant "Los Amigos" which had great and cheap local food. The appetizers were a little pricey though. Also there is also a small grocery right around the corner from this hotel which was very convenient.
This small village is about 20 minutes from Jaco, and very quaint and rural.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear friends, thank you very much for you very nice comments. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay in Esterillos Oeste and that La Dolce Vita was part of this success. We hope you will visit our beach again and stay with us on another occasion. Pura Vida! info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Iron River, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

The hotel was basic, kept very clean and well maintained. The hosts, Emilio and Jasmine were incredible. Always smiling, they kept the place safe and clean. Delivered breakfast with a smile and helped us with what we needed. Even the beach in front of the hotel they raked and watered every morning. We liked the more quiet, laid back rural setting. It was a true Costa Rican experience. Grocery store, and some really good restaurants were close by. Met several guests who are repeat regular customers - what does that say?! I am definitely making plans to come back.

Room Tip: There are 7 apartments and they are all pretty much the same. accommodations are basic, but the plac...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

This small hotel offers kitchenette units and has a pool. Cleanest in town. Is located right on the beach. Next door to hotel is a camp site where locals come to enjoy the beach on weekends. They bring their families and music. We found the place quite difficult to have a restful night on weekends. Monday to Thursday it is great.. The beach and surf are excellent. The staff speak very little English but are very helpful. Great budget hotel.

Room Tip: Hotel difficult to find. Use gps and google maps to help your driver locate the hotel. Pool is nice...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel Costa Verde
Hotel Costa Verde
#19 of 49 in Manuel Antonio National Park
4.0 of 5 stars 1,004 reviews

Been to La Dolce Vita? Share your experiences!