“Big RV Park With Lots To Do” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sherkston Shores

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sherkston
Sherkston Shores
You added Sherkston Shores to your Saves list
490 Empire Road, Sherkston, Port Colborne, Ontario L0S 1R0, Canada   |
Toronto, Canada
“Big RV Park With Lots To Do”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

This is the biggest RV park that we've ever stayed in. We tow a 32' fifth wheel trailer and stayed in a premium EWS (electrical water sewer) with 30A service. Electricity in the park was reasonably stable (we run A/C and are sensitive to low voltage) and the voltage didn't drop below 100V. We stayed 2 full weeks and really enjoyed it. The pool is great, restaurant is decent (dined there twice), the grounds were well maintained, and there were lots of roads/pathways to bike ride. Other reviewers reported thefts, so we were careful to lock things up when we weren't around (nothing stolen). There are tons of golf carts at this park, many of them tricked out - they seem to be the most popular way to get around.

PROS:
- Massive RV site, lots to do, kid friendly most of the time**.
- Great pools, water slides, activities for kids (bungee/trampoline jumping).
- Premium EWS sites are generous in size (can easily park truck & fifth wheel with lots of room to spare).
- Beach at Quarry was clean with nice sand and refreshing water (wasn't too cold either!).
- Close to Niagara Falls and area attractions.
- Surprisingly well stocked general store (albeit expensive).
- Modern coin operated laundry machines and dryers; the general store sells single load detergent & softener too.

CONS:
- During long weekends (extremely busy), lots of cars/trucks/golf carts go by, and some of them drive fast. **It's safer for kids to play/bike ride outside of long weekends when there's less traffic and less booze.
- Although the children's playground was great (lots of climbing areas and slides), sadly there's only one children's playground in the park.
- Golf carts were pricy to rent ($65/day)

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were in a motorhome Monday to Friday. 6 of our grands (4-14 yrs) joined us at various times. Fabulous experiences in the pools, on the waterslides, trampolines and high ropes. The three times we bought food/pizza good value.

Bathrooms/showers usually needed attention. 10 minute cleanings don't do it.... empty soap/paper after cleaning!

The weather was warm and we ran our two a/c's, so we did not hear the night life.

On our walks to/from pools, we had to be alert to the crazy golf cart drivers... one of the hazards for which there was no obvious control. Extending the speedbumps across the walkway would be a start.

We did sign up for 2014 with a $100 deposit and 15% off a guaranteed 2013 rate...the water park compensated.

• Stayed July 2013
Walton Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

two adults in our late 30's, 3 kids - 12, 11, 9.
This was our first time at Sherkston shores, we pulled our own trailer and spent the week right in front of the quarry.

I read ALL the reviews and was somewhat concerned about the theft, teenagers and golf carts. The reviews on here paint a not so good picture. I would have to agree with most of what they say... BUT we still had a great week.

1. Theft - we didn't have anything go missing. we were camp site #2 which is right beside ball diamond, banquet hall and quarry. lots of people passing in front of our site, we left some items outside and nothing went missing. we stored our cooler of beer in the truck and locked it at night, we left our three bikes outside, no issue. I can see how the theft could happen, but I don't think it is specific to Sherkston. I wouldn't let this issue stop you from going to Sherkston, it could happen anywhere.

2. Teens - LOTS of them. we did hear two "fights" and someone was arrested on Canada day in the park for getting into a fight. I did feel there where the "regulars" hanging around that seemed to own the park. you could always tell which ones they were by the golf cart they drove. We didn't have any problems at all, but if the younger generation bother you, this is not the place to go. If you are the type of person that asks "where is that boys parents?" or "who let's their daughter dress like that?" you will be tormented all week. This is "young kids gone wild" and you will see things you may not want to... On the flip side, if you have 15 -18 yr old kids, this is exactly where they would want to go.

3. Golf carts - LOTS of them. they are everywhere. some would cruise by with ten people hanging off it. There are signs but most do not obey. you definitely need to pay attention when walking to the main buildings and activities, it is a zoo. I would agree with the comments about 10 yr olds driving carts, you see it everywhere. NOW... this park is HUGE. if you are not going to bring/rent a golf cart, you will be driving your vehicle to the beach (assuming you brought your own trailer) as the quarry is too far away to lug all your stuff down to the beach. The golf carts are a super idea and I can completely see why they allow them. AND if you didn't have golf carts, you would have vehicles everywhere which would be bigger and potentially more dangerous. We didn't rent one, but if we go back, I definitely would. I would caution anyone with kids younger than 6, this is not a place that I would let my child of that age "explore" without me as it gets busy very quickly. Our youngest is 9 and he loved all the "action".

4. Activities/park/beach - Fabulous. lots to do. Beach is groomed every night, drive your vehicle down to waters edge and drop the tailgate. lots of room, no one was on top of each other. lots of open space to do whatever you wanted. water slides - awesome. pools and splash pad, good shape. Live bands every night! There are not too many places you can go with your family and sit down in an outside bar/patio, buy a pizza and listen to some real, live music. Midnight in Vegas and the Madhatters were amazing. Best part of the week for me. Arcade (which was expense, but tough to avoid) was a hit for our 9 yr old...

overall - it was a great week. our children learned some things that I'm sure they probably need some exposure too... Security is always driving around and definitely have a presence, but not too stiff. the park is clean, but busy. You can't put that many people in one place and keep it in excellent shape. the washrooms were decent, a lot of sand in the showers but not gross by any means.

I would go back. My wife was happy with the week as well. I would recommend this to any of my friends and their families. BUT I would share the warning on going in with an open mind. it gets a little crazy and I think deep down inside, we all kind of want a little of that??? I see a lot of comments about management... not sure why you would be talking to them? check in was simple, easy to find your camp site. the map they provide is excellent and clearly shows you where things are. The last thing I want on my vacation is to talk to someone other than friends and family... why people throw management under the bus is beyond me. there was one review about damage to their truck? Really??? how is that on the park? were they driving your truck? I don't know details and perhaps shouldn't throw stones but in my opinion, the management team owe us customers a facility that provides a clean environment and the activities that they advertise. the theft, teens, golf cart driving, fights have zero to do with the park and 100% to do with the people in the park at that time. Security can minimize the problems but are not there to babysit your kids. The people in the park need to be more responsible for their own kids and some people were escorted out of the park due to bad behaviour so I think the security ( and management) held up their end of the bargain... just my opinion.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

There are many drunk teenagers driving golf carts all over the campground. Also a lady named Synthia one the managers was very lacking in management skills. She does NOT realize that customer service is important. Signs are poorly posted. We sustained damage to our coach because areas were not posted as inaccessible for big rigs.Also staff would not take responsibility for the damage dealt to our coach. They offered us absolutely no compensation. Activities are good but would be a better place if management cared. Lots very expensive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Park has great facilities, 2 beaches , the quarry , 2 pools, splash pad, water slides, mini putt and so much more. A great getaway , only complaint is pool hours pizza hrs etc...closed at 5 pools last week of june? thats bad

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We have been going to Sherkston as a family for our two week camping vacation for the past three years. First the pros: we love the location. The beaches on the Lake side (when not totally packed) are perfect for kids to wonder in as it is very gradual and sandy in most spots. The option of having three beaches is nice as well. The quarry is clean and usually not as busy. Activities for the family are abundant. For kids like mine that are always looking for something to do there is always something to do. The proximity to Fort Erie and Niagara Falls is always handy on a somewhat rainy day.
Now for the cons, and unfortunately they have been increasing every year. My two main concerns however, are theft and partying/fights. Since the travel trailer and tent sites are all around the quarry area and community hall, this is where the teens tend to congregate. My theory is that the park model cottages closer to the main beach are owned and the owners would not put up with the nonsense and so the little hooligans are shooed to the temporary campers.
The past two years we have had items stolen from our trailer or underneath our trailer as we were sleeping. The park security told us last year that it is the owner’s kids that do this and not the week or two campers. (Campers have an unspoken code of conduct and respect others personal property!)
We are going to give it one last try this year and if it does not improve, we will not be back. It makes me sad because at one point we were actually looking at purchasing a permanent trailer on the beach side as a cottage.
Please…MANAGEMENT! Get control of your park unless you want it to turn back to its’ “glory” days of the 1980’s!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We went to Sherkston for a long weekend before the season really starts as we are not golf cart people, but we are scuba people.

We chose to camp at Cliffview as it is where the scuba entry is. We picked site 13 as we did not want to be right next to the diver parking. It was a cold weekend when we were there in June but it did not stop a hoard of teenagers walking right through our site to cliff jump. Lovely.

We enjoyed our diving and kept to ourselves, not using the facilities so we cannot comment on them.

We did notice lots of dangerous golf cart driving and tonnes of drinking while cart driving.

We will be back in September to dive again, but the summer is best left to the yahoos.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sherkston Shores? Share your experiences!