“the number one campsite!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Banjul, Gambia
“the number one campsite!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks, lovely owners, food, showers and location. Can recommend this campsite to everyone- its the best!!

Visited July 2013

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Unassuming but wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We called in for a light lunch, after we had driven through the Vale of Pewsey. We were greeted by the friendly barman, we were told that the menu's were on the table and we could sit where ever we wanted. The dining area was just like someones dining room, with various tables and chairs to sit at, although there was no system to it, it did look very good and gave it a cosy atmosphere. We choose a sandwich and settled down for the wait. What I should say was that the light lunch we'd expected, turned out to be a misnomer. I had read the introduction at the beginning of the menu, which said that they aimed to provide quality food at a inexpensive cost. I should have had a inkling then. When our Bacon, brie and cranberry sandwich came, I was amazed by the size of the portion. It was very good, couldn't fault it on taste, portion size or cost. The fact that the tables where almost full for a Tuesday lunchtime, I believe other people had the same impression I did

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Caught them on a bad day?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We didn't have the best dining experience here....at all. We were recommended to come here by a friend, she had been twice and said the food was very good, so we decided to give it a try. Firstly, the positives.... Great location, very pretty looking building. I also liked the chickens in the garden, this was a nice touch. Man behind the bar was pleasant. Unfortunately that's where the positives end. The interior is incredibly drab and old fashioned, i understand this is a traditional old pub however i really felt a bit of re decoration was in order. I ordered a vegetarian curry (there were no vegetarian options on the menu, apart from a sandwich, so I had to ask behind the bar) my husband and steak pie. Whilst waiting for our food, the lady chef from the kitchen came out to tell me that she was cooking the rice 'fresh' so it would be a while. That was definitely the only fresh thing cooked that day I imagine! My husbands pie looked awful. The pastry was so thick and hard we weren't even sure what type of pastry it was. The meat inside was dry and tasteless. The vegetables served with it were so huge and chunky, it was like half a carrot on the plate! Unfortunately my veg curry wasn't much better. The same chunky vegetables were complete in the sauce, including huge chunks of onion. The water the rice was cooked in wasn't salted so the whole thing was incredibly bland. I feel awful giving bad reviews and I really wanted to like this place. I really hope we caught them on a bad day, the other reviews are good so I'm not sure what went wrong on this occasion, maybe the owners were on holiday?

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Swindon
“great village pub with beautiful location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed two nights in the campsite at the back of the pub. It's a basic campsite (and doesn't pretend to be anything else) and there are basic wash facilities and water and electrical supplies. The field is actually very large, not small as others have said in their comments but the only restriction is that if you want power then this comes directly from links on the pub outbuildings found in the chicken run area. You've got to be very close to the pub for an electrical hookup. It's great at this time of year to have swallows (which nest in the outbuildings) flying around and also the occasional rare-breed chickens wandering around which are kept on the site.

As for the pub, well it's very traditional with a snug-bar and other bars at the front. Some decent ales and beer gardens surrounding it. The place is family run and landlord is really friendly. The pub is right in the middle of a very small village with thatched houses around only about 1/2 mile from the kennet and avon canal so it's a good place to walk around too. It's difficult to describe but the pub is the exact opposite of your standardised modern pub in every way apart from there being a screen up in each bar. It still apparently has it's old fashioned layout, old back buildings and other features that have not been changed/modernised because they are perfectly fine as they are and that's the way I like it.

We drank and ate at the pub. Choice of Real ales is average, food was great and very decent portions and it appeared to be home-made.

Other points, it's dog friendly which is a plus or minus depending on whether you like dogs. If you've got young children they would probably appreciate seeing the rare-breed chickens which roam free next to the pub except later on. The pub also has a resident very friendly dog of their own which greets you in the snug-bar.

Parking is mostly in the streets around the pub so when busy you might find it difficult to park nearby.

Our friends have stayed there previously on many occasions and now I see why. We'll definitely go again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“very nice village pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Family run with good home made food and a nice welcome, three bars and outside seating to front and sunny rear, dogs welcome, Wadworths beer, excellent village location, its great to find a traditional pub like this as so many have been turned into country equivalent of wine bars

Visited May 2013