“Amazing rafting trip with Northern Outdoors” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 4 Attractions in The Forks
More attraction details
Owner description: Northern Outdoors is Maine's Premier Adventure Resort and winner of Yankee Magazine's 2011 Best New England Adventures Award. Established in 1976, Northern Outdoors pioneered whitewater rafting on the Kennebec, Dead, and Penobscot Rivers, along with other outdoor recreation activities. The popular Kennebec River Pub & Brewery, featured on Maine’s Beer Trail, serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and craft-brewed beers at the resort. Cabins and camping are available, too. Northern Outdoors is 4 hours from Boston
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Amazing rafting trip with Northern Outdoors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I came to Maine to take a photography workshop and extended my trip to explore the area. I wanted to experience as much as possible so I looked on trip advisor to get some ideas. Northern Outdoors was one of the top things to do. I have always wanted to go whitewater rafting so I thought no better time to do it then now! I came by myself, (who does that right? lol), so I wasn't sure how the trip would go. I was blown away by the energy and great vibe of the staff. Before the trip, I had called in to ask a lot of questions about what river I should do and what to wear/bring etc. Each time they were really helpful. They recommended the Kennebec River Tour since it was my first time. The girl at the front desk that checked me in the day before the trip was great as well. The next day, on the bus ride to the river location, the guide was very informative about the area and she pointed out a lot of interesting facts about The Forks.

One person in particular stood out, and that was my guide James. I travel a lot both for work and personal, and it is rare that you find someone who is both really passionate about their job and also good at it. James got everyone pumped and excited for the trip during the safety orientation. He covered what to do if anyone went on the "special journey". As much as there was a sense of adventure and danger, I felt confident that I was safe and in good hands. James was also very knowledgable about the area. Along the trip, he pointed out various birds such as a Blue Jay, an American Bald Eagle, and an Osprey's nest. I have never seen any of those before so that was really cool!

We stopped for lunch where they had steak, teriyaki chicken, salmon, rice and pasta salad. The food was very good and it was organized as far as each person getting what they selected. I noticed they accommodated those who had food allergies and prepared them something special.

After the trip, they presented a slideshow and video which was fun and well put together.

This experience was life changing! I would definitely recommend Northern Outdoors and if I am ever in Maine in the future, I would go again. The Penobscot is next on my list!

Visited July 2012

Ayer, MA
“THE BEST wwr company in Maine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

We have been rafting the Penobscot every Summer for years and wouldn't think for a second to book with any other company. We went with a few different companies early on, but honestly no one compares. Northern is professional, safe and FUN. It's a wonderful day on the river and the guides are awesome. We stay at the Penobscot Outdoor Center - affordable camping right where you catch the bus and in a beautiful location. Can't say enough great things about this experience. "See you on the river".........

Boston, Massachusetts
134 attraction reviews
“Super awesome river guide and overall experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We booked with Northern Outdoors because of a living social coupon and throughout the booking process their staff was very friendly and helpful. Even with multiple calls and rescheduling and then adding on camping accommodations.
On the day of the trip we had an absolute blast (there were four of us in our group, plus three others from another group on the raft). The rapids were absolutely amazing and we couldn't have asked for better weather that day either.
We had previously rafted the Pentecost with another company before, but we had way more fun on this trip since we got to go over some of the falls multiple times.
Would definitely recommend this!

Visited June 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Penobscot River Rafting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My partner and I went rafting yesterday with Northern Outdoors on the Penobscot River and had an awesome time! Our guide, Jayson, was very informative, fun, and made the trip both relaxing and exhilarating. The staff at Northern Outdoors is very enthusiastic but we appreciated that they take safety very seriously as there are two class five rapids on the trip. We liked this trip as you start from the top of the river and travel down to the end point; other outfitters start and end at different points, resulting in less raft time and more travel time between rapids. The trip is the perfect balance of chilling/drifting and wild water and lunch was delicious - we liked that it was family-style. I would highly recommend the trip to couples, groups of friends, and even families with 16+ kids. Also, make sure you sit in the front for at least one of the large rapids.

Visited July 2012
naples fl
10 attraction reviews
“so much fun!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had a an amazing family adventure. It was great from the front desk to the bus driver.
Started with instructions in lobby lounge, done with humor and detailed. Effecient staff - handing out supplies. Ryan our bus guide, was amusing and fun also Mr. Kennedy the bus driver
The rafting ride was a hoot. and the scenery beautiful. Lunch was served by the guides and prepared well and did it with good spirits. Choices of lunch were veg. burger, salmon, steak or teri chicken. Served with river rice and pasta salad. the served a snack during the preperation and coffee, hot choc., & lemonade. The lower half of the river was slower and more relaxed were they made kayaks available for you. I could do that everyday...A wonderful memory.

Visited June 2012