“Really... Camping at Binna Burra” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Binna Burra Mountain Lodge

You added Binna Burra Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Binna Burra Mountain Lodge
4.5 of 5 Lodge   |   Binna Burra Road, Lamington National Park, Beechmont, Queensland 4211, Australia   |
Brisbane, Australia
“Really... Camping at Binna Burra”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

This was our second visit to this little piece of very accessible paradise. Being so close to Brisbane, we (mum, dad and a 3yo) decided on a few nice walks and threw the camping gear into the car. Less than two hours later, we were in Lamington National Park, Binna Burra section. The camping is close quarters which was not bad on a slow weekend, however, school holidays would have been "friendly". You can have a fire and firewood may be purchased from the lodge.
So, for a quick jaunt away... Binna Burra camping is added to our list. Oh, did I mention the Tea House is walking distance... yumm...

Room Tip: Always ask when booking if there is a large group booked also... If so, get a site away from them...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
BinnaBurra, Manager at Binna Burra Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
My own introduction to Binna Burra many years ago was day trips with my parents and camping with two mates when I was in high school. Little did I realise that I would be managing this iconic destination years later.

When I was working in Brisbane, my wife and I continued to come camping at Binna Burra for exactly the reasons that you mentioned - it was only 90 minutes from home and it was 'family friendly' when we brought our daughter with us.

I think it is important that we try and preserve what is great about Binna Burra and continue to work on the things that need fixing. As a manager, one of the things that I do believe is great about being here is the team behind me. Our staff are passionate about this place and that makes a difference!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I first went to Binna Burra 40 years ago and have subsequently stayed in the camping ground, the Environmental Group Lodge and one of the cabins using the communal bathroom.
This time we booked an Acacia cabin with ensuite bathroom and floor to ceiling windows overlooking the valley with the dinner, bed and breakfast plan.
These cabins are comfortable not luxurious. There is no television in the room.
The food is tasty and plentiful, served with good service but is not cordon blue standard.
Morning and afternoon tea are included in the overnight rates.
The service was friendly and efficient both at check in and in the dining room.
The best staff member was the guide who took us on a day walk into the rainforest. He was knowledgeable and was able to communicate that knowledge to us in a friendly manner.
Although the rates are not cheap, this is not a luxury resort but a place to walk and enjoy the rainforest with all it has to offer.
The walks vary in length,( to over 20kms), difficulty, terrain and forest type.

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms ,Acacia, have an ensuite bathroom and wonderful views but the other cabins...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
BinnaBurra, Manager at Binna Burra Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you Norma for that very balanced review of Binna Burra. As you pointed out, there is a wide range of accommodation levels which now includes our new Sky Lodges (which are somewhat luxurious and do have a television in the room).

For others reading your review, I should also explain that the tariff for the Mountain Lodge is fully inclusive with dinner, breakfast and the morning and afternoon teas that you mentioned. The tariff also includes the guided walks or other actvities that might be scheduled on any given day. (Sky Lodges have a different arrangement as many guests staying there are looking for quiet luxury where they can just 'chill out' for a few days.) Please check with Reception staff when making your booking.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Binna Berra Sky Lodge worth every $ Just for the View alone
Who says you have to be young to enjoy beautiful Binna Berra ..The views are
wonderful , the service excellent, We appreciated the welcome of the reception staff Korha
The Chef Colin went out of his way to make sure everyone had the meals they wanted And the Manager Barry was exceptionally kind and considerate to the visitors including my husband and I ..[We have been married 55 yrs]and my 75th birthday weekend ] Thank you all for making our stay so memorable.
The walks cover every possible age group and ability/ The Lodge has a warm and welcoming atmosphere .. For Holiday Makers To the Gold Coast DONT miss out On Binna Berra,
Its a Must ... You will Love it . Thank you to my family for booking this wonderfull experience for us The BinnaBerra staff and National Parks Surroundings made it a perfect [getaway]..Thanks again

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
BinnaBurra, Manager at Binna Burra Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
You are oh so right, Shirley. Binna Burra really is a must. If you are into 'eco', into nature and bushwalking or just into clean fresh mountain air, then Binna Burra is a great place to come and spend a few days.

I appreciate your acknowledgement of the great work done by our staff. Our Lamington Guides are very knowledgable about the National Park and the walks while our reception and dining room staff really try to make everyone feel welcome.

And, yes, the views from the new Sky Lodges are simply stunning. You have said it all.
Delft, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

The walks around this place were nice enough, although underwelming, but this camping should have been renovated or even demolished a long time ago. I would certainly give the advice to stay away from it. The cabin we rented was mouldy and smelly. Even the beds were mouldy and wet. The one piece of furniture was rotting away too. You pay a lot extra if you come with kids while its basically the same cabin as the ones for two persons. The camping is steap and crammed. The barbeques don't get cleaned and smell badly. I'm sorry to say, but the staff (all the way up in the Lodge, uphill) was unhelpful and unfriendly too. They sold us wet, freshly cut wood for $10 which of course didn't burn. In the lodge they organized a christmas diner and everything was decorated with christmas trees while this was in july. This added to the horror of the place. The places where you can pitch your own tent are very small and right beside the road.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
BinnaBurra, Manager at Binna Burra Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Hello Milan. I am guessing by you comments regarding Christmas dinner and Christmas trees in July that you camped at Binna Burra in July last year, some 10 months ago and have only just now decided to post a review. As you appear to be from the Netherlands, you may not have been aware that Australia had its third wettest year on record in 2011. In particular, Queensland and our capital city, Brisbane, were subject to some of the worst floods on record. During this period, we did have an issue with mould in some of our onsite tents. Unfortunately this can be an issue with canvas tents because of our close proximity to the rainforest areas of the World Heritage-listed Lamington National Park.

You will therefore be interested to know that Binna Burra Lodge has developed a 15 year Master Plan for the gradual upgrade of many of our facilities. We are currently investigating options for replacing our permanent onsite canvas tents with simple cabins. These will be better suited to the natural rainforest environment. Because of the slow down in the world economy, especially the flow on effect from the Eurozone at the moment, it is likely to be at least another 12 months before we will be able to commence this particular project. On the other hand, the weather has finally improved and the issues that you raised have largely gone.

Milan, I wonder if you have ever been in Quuensland at Christmas in December. When Christmas Day often means tempeatures in the 30's and sometimes over 40 degrees Celsius, it is no wonder that many Australians like to enjoy a "Christmas in July". Search the internet and you will find that Binna Burra is just one of many hundreds of venues that offer such a function. I make no apologies for this and we will holding "Christmas in July" again this year. Because the nights can often be up to 10 degrees cooler than down on the coast, we are able to have a roaring log fire in our lounge and hot turkey and ham dinners for our guests - things that you would get to enjoy every year in your European homeland.

You questioned why we charge extra for kids as "it's basically the same cabin as the ones for two persons". The explanation is really very simple. The safari tents/cabins for four people have extra beds which we supply and maintain. When your kids stay here, they drink water which we have to pipe for over 6km through the rainforest and then treat. They have hot showers. They use the toilets and we have to treat the waste as our remote mountain site is not connected to town water or sewerage. Instead, we run our own sewerage treatment plant, monitor it, service it and must pay fees to the government for it. When you understand these things, you understand why we quite reasonably need to charge a little extra ($20 extra from a 2 person tent to a four person and 10% of that goes straight to the government as GST).

On a final note, you imply that all our camping sites are right beside the road. This is simply not true. Certainly some sites are closer to the roadway than others, but there is a steep bank down to the road which in any case is the road that leads to the campsite entrance. Without the road, you might have then complained instead that you could not get to the campground unless you hiked in carrying all your equipment.

I would encourage you to come back some time and enjoy the natural beauty that surrounds you and the spectacular views from our campsite area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

Binna Burra is a great place to visit and stay. There is a cafe and on Saturday night is pizza night. The hikes are amazing and filled with wildlife. The 165m zip line was the best 10 dollars a kid it was well worth it. Great views of Gold coast and hinterland. Thanks p.s. great Gift shop, staff,games and hotel

Stayed March 2012
Thanks for your feedback. Is it okay if I add a bit more info? Lamington National Park has one of the most extensive walking track networks around. There are easy walks of just 1 km through to challenging hikes of more than 20 kms. So it's no wonder that you enjoyed the hikes.

You mentioned the Saturday night pizzas. We have been trialling Sunday night pizzas as well on Queensland long weekends. This has proven pretty popular so far with campers and Sky Lodge guests. We even get a few locals turning up as well.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have just booked to stay in the sky lodges and then read the review "very disappointing" Melanie April 2012.
I have stayed at both O'Reillys and Binna Burra over the years and in 3 levels of accom at the first and in both ensuited and heritage rooms at BB.
The experience described by the reviewer at the sky lodges is enough to cause a v stressful experience and inconsistent with the pricing and marketing of the lodges.
It does not match my experience staying in the villas at O'Reillys.
She should receive a refund.
I am concerned that at B B in the past I have been charged for drinks I did not consume and clearly, mistakes in accounting for drinks were not unique to my experience. (as another reviewer had similar problem).
It is simply not OK for BB to advertise their new sky lodges and then not explain to guests that unlike every other establishment for the same money, they offer a camping experience inside an expensive sky 'shell'.

Given I have booked and paid for sky lodges, I will update with a further review after my stay!

I look forward to an email to me before my stay from management at BB confirming to bring my own toilet paper!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
BinnaBurra, Manager at Binna Burra Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Catherine, thank you for agreeing to meet with me last weekend to inspect the Sky Lodges prior to your stay next month. I am sure that you are now much happier that staying at the Sky lodges will be a far cry from a 'camping experience inside a sky shell'.

Thank you also for your feedback about the need to let people know that each Sky Lodge bedroom has its own private bathroom. You will see that we have updated our website to explain that a 2 bedroom apartment does indeed have 2 bathrooms. And we have added more information about dining options - not just that the Sky Lodges have their own kitchens but that guests are welcome at the Clifftop Dining Room and the Lamington Teahouse (with its pizza night every Saturday!). It was good to get that guest perspective from you.

You may be interested to know that the Sky Lodges are at 100% occupancy this Labour Day long weekend. And we have already had our first repeat guests. Of course, the Sky Lodges are just a place to eat and sleep. As you pointed out, the real beauty is to be found in the adjacent Lamington National Park.

I look forward to catching up with you again next month when you return.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed in the Sky Lodges over Easter and paid around $500 per night. Although the sky lodges themselves were beautiful and the scenery fabulous, the hotel management took a very short sighted view which left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. In particular, there was no daily maid service unless you paid extra. That could potentially be justified, however they also chose to charge extra for toilet rolls (only half a roll was supplied), tissues, additional towels (there were six of us and only four towels), dishwashing liquid, washing machine powder and everything else you could think of. In addition, the phone to the main lodge didn't work and so one had to walk 10 minutes uphill to purchase a toilet paper roll etc during office hours and then walk back with toilet roll in hand. To add insult to injury, when we left they charged us (against our express wishes) and extra $70 cleaning fee because they felt that we hadn't cleaned the apartment ourselves and in particular turned the dishwasher on (we'd run out of powder) and whilst on holiday didn't anticipate being asked to scrub the floors etc ourselves and supply our own clean supplies to do so. Whilst I understand that the lodge started out as a cheap and cheerful camping and backpacker lodge, if a facility is offering top level accommodation at in excess of $500 per night, cleaning, towels and toilet paper etc should be included. The ridiculous thing was what we purchased was less than $10 worth of supplies for 4 days and so it would have been far better for them to have simply raised their price per night by a couple of dollars to cover costs and included such basic items. People looking in this price range are generally relatively price insensitive and value their time and the overall experience much more than an extra $20 or $30 per night. Next time in this price range I would definitely stay at O'Reilleys which has better accommodation including a larger balcony, an oven (the sky lodges only had a convection microwave and a bbq) and includes maid service as well as toilet paper etc.

Room Tip: Choose O'Reilleys instead.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
BinnaBurra, Manager at Binna Burra Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

Because the Sky Lodges are fully self-contained with their own kitchenettes, it was decided to offer them as a short stay independent accommodation option with a weekly room service and linen change rather than daily housekeeping. (The same applies at OR’s Mountain Villas.) This is fully set out in our room compendium. We do include daily room service for our conference bookings but they are on a conference tariff.

As a result of your feedback, Binna Burra is looking into the costs of changing the Sky Lodges over to a daily service tariff.

I do need to clarify some comments that you have made. All Sky Lodge bathrooms have a “2 roll” toilet paper holder. As your apartment had two bathrooms, it would have been initially stocked with 4 rolls of toilet paper. After reading your post, I checked and confirmed with the housekeeper on duty at the time that all bathrooms were indeed fully stocked.

You are absolutely correct that only 4 towels were supplied. That is because you booked and paid for 2 adults and 2 children. It would concern any accommodation manager that we were misled as to how many people were staying in the apartment. You may not be aware of the potential risk to your family or friends in the event of an emergency evacuation when we are trying to account for all guests and staff.

You correctly pointed out that you were charged an additional cleaning fee after departure and I am guessing that this may have prompted your post. Guests are made aware of this in the compendium and a notice in the kitchen. As well as an initial supply of dishwashing powder, ample dishwashing liquid was also made available. I will not embarrass you by describing in detail in this public forum just how bad the kitchen and BBQ had been left on your departure. There is no expectation that guest scrub or mop floors. Like many short stay accommodation establishments we simply ask that the BBQ, stovetop and any dishes be cleaned.

Been to Binna Burra Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!