“Mostly good but a few sour notes” 4 of 5 stars

Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Colorado
“Mostly good but a few sour notes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel is lovely and we mostly enjoyed our stay. As Platinum Gold Passport members we were offered an upgrade after I asked for one. I believe the way it's supposed to work is that we're supposed to be offered an upgrade by the front-desk clerk without having to ask (but maybe I'm wrong). The upgraded room had a lovely view of the ski slopes but also was unfortunately right above the bar, so it was rather noisy in the evening and again early in the morning when they were setting up for breakfast. We solved this our second night by sleeping with the window closed and the aircon running, though the outside temperature was quite cool. We were told that all the rooms will be updated this fall, but our room was in excellent condition. It was clean, spacious and everything worked well. I especially appreciated the recharging station for our phones and I-pad. We had breakfast both mornings in the restaurant and it was one of the best hotel breakfasts I've had in a while, though when my wife asked for her eggs sunny side up, they were served over easy. Two other meals were good, no complaints. We used the hot tub after a hike and found that by going fairly late we avoided the hordes of screaming children in the pool area.

Here are the sour notes: all the hotels in Beaver Creek charge a resort fee, but there is no reason for this fee. Just add it to the price of the room! We were told the fee includes things like the gym and hot tub. Really? What self-respecting hotel outside a resort area doesn't include those items. It also included Internet access. When I first logged on, a page came up offering "premium" service. I thought to myself, no need for that, the regular service should be just fine to surf the Web and check my email. The service was one of the worst I've ever encountered. It was as slow as molasses.

Another sour note was the "sales tax" added to our breakfast, even though breakfast was included in our rate. In other words, I paid sales tax twice. What was really strange is that the "tax" showed up as service on my final bill, even though I had left a tip both mornings on the chit.

The negatives didn't spoil our trip but they were annoyances in what would have otherwise been a perfect stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stopped at the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek on a family road trip from Dallas to Salt Lake City. We were just tired of being in the car and did a quick search of hotels in Vail and Beaver Creek. The description of the Park Hyatt sounded nice so we reserved a regular room for one night. Upon check-in we were immediately upgraded to a slope view room near the pool. The kids immediately took off for the pool. The room was large and well appointed. The room was large enough that we were able to fit in a roll-away bed for one of our sons.

When we went out to explore for a place to eat dinner, we found the main resort area, and to our amazement, they have a fully functioning ice skating rink. We were traveling from Dallas to SLC for hockey tryouts, so the kids traded their swim suits for their hockey skates for a couple of hours. There was a very good Italian restaurant with outdoor seating right on the rink. My wife and I had a great dinner and relaxed, and the kids skated, ate and skated some more.

Great location, great staff and great amenities.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This was our fourth stay and we will return next summer. The hotel is based at the foot of the ski slope. Be sure to get a room overlooking the ski slope and you may see deer in the morning. At the very least, you will have a wonderful view of the mountain and the windflowers. The property feels secluded, but its proximity to activities can't be beat. Kids can walk to the bungee bounce, putt putt or the pool. Families can play ball on the green, go horseback riding at the stable, or learn to fly fish. Take the chair lift up to the top of the mountain and hike down (I dare you) or just relax at the top with lunch and a beer and take the lift back down. There is ice skating in July and s'mores by the fire pit at night. Relax or be active. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is lovely. Enjoy! P.S. you can't leave without trying the blueberry pancakes at the hotel's restaurant 8100. Fabulous!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Statesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at this resort for a business function and enjoyed it very much. Great food, great fun, and lots to do in your spare time! The Park Hyatt seemed to think of everything to help make the stay as comfortable and fun as possible!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We recently stayed at the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, and it was a great experience! My husband and I stayed for five nights in July-Aug 2013. We had a King room and were upgraded to a slope view, which was beautiful. The rooms were pleasant and spacious. From what we were told, the entire resort is going through a major reno in September of 2013.

There was plenty to do during the day from hiking the mountains multiple paths, to jeep tours atop the mountain, to shopping in the BC village.

We ate at the 1800 restaurant several times - twice for dinner, once for a late night snack (we ate dinner in Edwards at Vino, which was awful), and several times for breakfast. Dinner was fantastic. Easy menu, nothing crazy - but very well executed. We had fish and the mushroom pasta each time. Chris was our server, he was friendly, outgoing (as all the servers were), and great at the details (remembering what we liked and didn't). We were also impressed that the Executive Chef, Christian Apetz not only was out on the patio chatting with guests, but took the time to meet everyone. We sat with him chatting for what was around 20 minutes or so. He is so friendly and has great stories, and has been with Hyatt forever!

Don't miss out on the smores each night. A sweet touch to end your day.

We also spent time at the pool during the sunny afternoons, but was surprised to find the pool not heated... either way, it was nice and not too crowded.

We will definitely be back.

Ask for slope view rooms, away from the elevators.

Room Tip: Slope side views are incredible. Away from elevators always good. Also, hotel allows dogs, so bewa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at this resort to attend a wedding that was being held there this summer. The wedding was done beautifully right outside the resort on the lawn. The reception was held at the on site restaurant, 8100 Mountainside Bar & Grill, and all of the food and dessert was very good. At the reception, the hotel brought down a basket of slippers for all of the women who were tired of wearing heels. It was so nice just to walk back up to our room after the wedding and not have to drive anywhere. The rooms were very comfortable with everything you may need to be comfortable. I did not bring a shaver because I only brought carry on luggage with me. They sent someone right up with a complimentary one when I requested it. The village at Beaver Creek is right downstairs from the resort with shops and restaurants. They also have ice skating (even in the summer) and S'mores for the kids. We did not have our kids with us but everywhere I looked there were a ton of activities for them. Next time, we will come back and do a family trip here. The service we received at this hotel was impeccable. I would probably say that this was one of our most favorite hotels that we have ever stayed at. The only negative I would say is the price of breakfast at this restaurant was ridiculous (which I expected at a luxury resort), one egg was $5. We just went to the Avon bakery that was a couple of minutes away and had an awesome breakfast for $20 total for the two of us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We recently stayed at the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek and it was a wonderful experience. My husband and I were there to attend a conference for two days. Beaver Creek Resort is wonderful and the Park Hyatt did not disappoint.
We had a King room with a partial mountain view/full village view. The room was very nice and a good size. The bed was great...very comfortable! The room had a nice size closet and large bathroom with very nice amenities. They have humidifiers in the rooms and we used it as the air is so very dry at that altitude. A much appreciated addition to the room!
The hotel is designed to look like a lodge. Very pretty and the views of the mountains are spectacular. The pool area is nice and has 5 hot tubs. They also offer food and beverage service. As my husband was the meeting attendee, I spent a good amount of time at the pool. I also enjoyed breakfast at their café and sat out on the patio. Beautiful!
The village has lots of stores and restaurants. There is a pretty creek running through it which makes for a nice walk down the hill. There is a shuttle that will take you back up the hill if you decide not to walk. I walked up and it was a bit strenuous due to the altitude, which I believe is around 8400 feet.
All of the staff outstanding! Very nice and helpful. We most definitely would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!