“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bonner Springs, Kansas
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Having stayed several times at the Beaver Creek Lodge over the last 5 years, we were interested to try the Park Hyatt, not by choice but because my husband was attending the SCORRE conference held there. We are huge BC Lodge fans--love the accomodations, service, location--just about everything. But given the Park Hyatt's reputation, we were looking forward to some serious pampering in a luxury facility. What a disappointment. Where to begin? Let me just list the pros & cons:
Pros:
-Comfortable bed
-Loved the tiny (albeit standing room only, no chairs) balcony & double doors for the fresh air
-Large lobby & excellent cozy nooks for reading & relaxing
-Beautiful appearance of all public rooms
-Excellent work out facility
-Beautiful outdoor pool & hot tubs but too cold outside for us to enjoy
-Lemon/lime icewater everywhere
-Fire pits at night were nice
-Plenty of comfortable outdoor seating
-S'mores @ firepits (sort of a plus, see below) evey night
-Location--spectacular views, close to hiking trails
-Front desk staff were friendly (but apparently powerless)
-At the end of our stay, a small discount was given to make up for an item that went missing from our room (see below), with verbal apologies from the front desk attendant. The "missing" item still has not been found.

Cons:
-Here's the story on the "missing" item: A $20 pair of earrings (just purchased the day before & inadvertantly left on the dresser while I went out for the morning) disappeared from our room. When we contacted the front desk about it, it was suggested that we had misplaced them, & that this kind of thing didn't happen on their property. This suprised us because at the meeting my husband attended the night before, on their property, a small video camera that was being used for recording their sessions had gone missing & they had to use someone's iPad to record. Before going to the desk to report the missing earrings that day, we had spent at least an hour going through our things, moving furniture, tearing the bedding apart, looking in every nook & cranny, even going through the waste baskets. I had placed the earrings on the dresser the night before; in my excitement to take a trip to Vail the next day, I walked out without putting them on. The front desk's only offer of remediation to us at this point, was to have housekeeping come & search our room (seriously?)--we had put the "privacy" sign out so as to not allow housekeeping back into our room--now we would want to have them search it for us? The value of the earrings was not the issue--our trust in their staff was blown away. I immediately put anything else we had that was of any value & would fit, into the tiny room safe. By the end of the day that we had reported the earrings were missing, the only response from them was for the housekeeping manager to contact us via phone message with the offer to come up & move everything in our room to search for the earrings, which we declined as we felt we'd already searched thoroughly. We did not get any offer of any kind of remuneration, nor apology, from the front desk until my husband returned to the desk that night, when he spoke to the person at the desk (he did NOT use his inside voice) to say that something from our room had gone missing & that we were not satisfied with their response so far. At that point, after some other guests had overheard my husband, the desk clerk offered us $40 off our last night's stay, which of course we accepted. We were very surprised that the manager of the hotel did not contact us personally & left it to the front desk employees and housekeeping manager to deal with us, given the serious nature of the problem. I do not bring "jewels" with me on vacation, & have never believed our belongings valuable enough to warrant using a room safe; I am now a believer & will ever after use the safe whenever available.
-While tearing apart the room looking for the earrings (we didn't want to believe the obvious) we discovered that the room was NOT being cleaned thoroughly--large crumbs of food left against the edges of carpet; we found a red pill capsule on the floor labelled "CPC" under the bedskirt (thankfully we didn't have small children who could have eaten that); obvious thick dust around edges of carpet, & behind furniture & chairs.
-There was NO IN-ROOM COFFEE SERVICE!!! This was a huge HUGE issue for us. The hotel's website promised in-room Keurig coffee makers--what a treat that was going to be! But there were no coffee makers. At all. Anywhere. Not even a cheap little GE coffeemaker that you'd find in a motel. We were told that we could get a complementary coffee anywhere in the building that served coffee--not so, for free--we had to beg a cup from the hotel desk. Not even a coffee urn in the lobby--how much could that have cost them? We were told at the front desk that they were in the process of replacing all the coffee services in the rooms. However, in reading reviews from past years, there was no in-room coffee service then, either. Check it out for yourself, in the average & less reviews. There are some that say there was no in-room coffee service even going back a few years.
-The smores, while a great idea, were left out as a "free for all" from 7PM-10PM every night. The bowl of marshmallows was uncovered & by the time we'd reached them they were like rocks. As a matter of fact, all the ingredients were left unattended & uncovered--anything could have been done to them, & in hind sight we probably shouldn't have eaten them. BTW, marshmallows that are very hard don't roast well, either. Nice idea, but another disappointment.
-This seems silly, but it really bothered me that the car valet raced our rental car up out of the parking garage & swooped around the circle drive WAY faster than necessary. And, the 2 times I asked to have the car brought up, I waited for nearly 10 minutes from time of call to delivery of car.
-Overall, while the room was OK, it was just--OK. We really had high expectations, but even the bedrooms at the Beaver Creek Lodge were nicer. The lighting in the bathroom was dim; thank goodness for the small light-up magnifying mirror by the sink. Electric outlets were not plentiful--we had a kindle, a laptop, 2 cell phones, a shaver, & a camera battery charger that all needed a spot. There were only 2 outlets built into the dresser that were accessible. We had to unplug lamps, alarm clock which I couldn't ever get to actually show the TIME; we found 2 extension cords plugged into each other by the head of the bed (is that OK?) & then we had to do rotations to keep everything charged. And, while hubby was showering, I wanted to dry my hair--there was no outlet even close to the one bedroom mirror that was on the closet door.
-The closet doors did not stay open--they had that auto-shut hinged hardware thingy on the top on both doors. And they could not be propped open. And they were very difficult to open--I thought at first that they were locked, I had to pull so hard to open them. No standing at an open closet to decide what to wear! I had to hold my foot up against the door while doing anything w/items in closet.
-At the hotel restaurant, the one time we ate there (lunch) it turned out to be just shortly before the "official" lunch service time was ending. We arrived about 2:15, & after waiting 10 minutes for a server to arrive, were told that we would need to place our orders quickly as the kitchen help was about to leave. Really? We placed our order, & while we waited for the food to arrive, another group of perhaps 6 or so arrived & was seated directly behind us. They proceeded to order lunch--we heard no mention from the server about the kitchen help being about to leave. Hmmm. And we thought it took them a really long time to bring my sandwich, although it was delicious.
-Unsupervised teenagers--everywhere starting Friday night & continuing until we left Sunday morning. Foul language abounded. They had apparently taken in groups of teenagers who did not appear to have any adult supervision, who roamed the premises freely & were VERY loud in our hallway the first night they arrived. We raised a teenager, we know they are loud, but this was way beyond what was acceptable in public. The large, beautiful lobby was filled to overflowing with very loud teeagers--not a seat was available anywhere. The first evening they arrived, I had to walk some distance along a fairly dark route to return to the hotel, alone (hubby was in a meeting), & a group of 10 or so teens were standing along my path, standing on a bench, pushing each other, loud talking, & one of them stepped out of the group, waving at me, got in my face & spoke disrespectfully to me. I did not feel safe after dark, after that.

All in all, Beaver Creek, village/resort, lived up to our expectations; the Park Hyatt did not. It is not likely that we would stay there again. However, if you have teenagers that you don't want to supervise, you don't bring any valuables, you can afford expensive coffee in the mornings, you appreciate NASCAR-like handling of your vehicle, you enjoy looooong lunches, & you bring your own 6-outlet extension cord, you might be very happy at this establishment.

Room Tip: Choose a room at Beaver Creek Lodge, down the hill.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I work a company that spends millions a year on hotel rooms. I am also a Platinum Hyatt member. This and the fact that we were visiting this hotel at one of the slowest times of the year when there were very few amenities available and very few things to do made us wonder why we were offered only a minimum upgrade and then solicited to pay for any further upgrade. We found mold in our shower, and our elderly parents had great difficultly with the long walk from the elevator to their handicap room (furthest room from the elevator---ridiculous!). We felt "nickel and dimed" in that we had to pay for business center use and then it closed at 4:00 pm! Not to mention the fact that in room movies were priced at $18.00! Also, the basic internet was so slow that it was practically useless. The only things keeping us from rating this hotel with a 0 was that the staff was good and the hotel restaurant was excellent once the Rotor Rooter truck left and the sewer smell was gone.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have extra window but no balcony, slope-side has better views, the higher floor the bet...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

In the week leading up to our anniversary weekend, we moved our reservations from the Viceroy in Snow Mass to the Park Hyatt b/c our work schedules no longer made a 4 hour trip to the Aspen area feasible. My husband had just stayed here the week before for a business event and had enjoyed his stay, so we booked a King room. Our initial check-in experinece took our breath away (and not in a good way) - so much so that we stepped away from the desk to see if we could change our reservations to another hotel at the last minute (not solely b/c they didn't have the King we reserved, but b/c of how shockingly rude the initial check-in receptionist was). My husband went back to the desk (when the first receptionist stepped away) to seek resolution from a 2nd more helpful receptionist. At that point, one of the the hotel managers (Ryan I believe) happened to overhear our dilemma and stepped in to solve the problem. Remarkably, he remembered my husband from the week prior, and had us in our room within minutes! We couldn't have been more relieved as it was 7.30pm at night and we just wanted to start our weekend (our first non business related trip without our son in tow).

We had a lovely dinner on their patio (heat lamps and fire pits and lots of great energy from guests). We lingered for hours in the beautiful fall evening huddled around their fire pit (they had 2 from which to choose from). We had breakfast each morning on the patio slopeslide, overlooking the fall foliage. We spent a good amount of time on their slopeside patios watching families play ping pong or the bean bag toss or hike up the mountain paths.

Their onsite spa was lovely (and huge). Their massage protocals used an innovative combination of warm towels and heated pillows.

Ryan shined again, helping my husband secure a snack to tide him over between a round of golf at the Beaver Creek course and a late anniversary dinner.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay. Ryan's attentitiveness and customer service skills were noteworthy and appreciated. Our anniversary weekend was memorable (and relaxing) - and he played a big role in that. Thanks.

Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

You will Love the Park Hyatt, This resort sits at the base of the ski slope, so you have mountain views or you can have views of the year round ice skating rink which is a blast for the entire family, So take your skates with you, Or you can rent a pair. this resort has it all a huge pool, many hot tubs, Out door games, and an area for children to play, when youu finish with all the activites you can sit around the fire pit and enjoy hand made marshmallows on your smoores..
Our relax with a glass of wine on the veranda in one of the elegant sitting areas. we have stayed in many of the resorts at Beaver Creek over the years and the Park Hyatt is our favorite, the people are wonderful and the rooms are beautiful, we love to go up for October Fest enjoy the colors in the mountains and have a great time in Vail. I am a forth generation Colorado native I can tell you this with out a doubt is one of the best values you will find. You cant Ever go wrong in Beaver Creek all of the resorts at really nice, But the Park Hyatt has everything you come to expect from a Resort Spa in the Vail area. The work out area and Spa are state of the art as well. Have a Blast and enjoy Colorado at its Best !

Room Tip: You have to go to the Blue Moose Pizza place in the village OH so good. and Its the best value in th...
Naples, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Seems that my assistant had not done the greatest job in booking the right room and package for us, but the rooms manager Marc helped me immediately get something a little more appropriate for my wife's birthday, including a spa package. Our room included a fireplace and a beautiful view of the mountains with all the aspen trees lit up in that beautiful yellow this time of year. What a wonderful time we had relaxing and i even joined her for a massage and it was outstanding.

Room Tip: we had a fireplace suite, and it was worth it. Marc suggested i call the hotel next time in advance...
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went to Beaver Creek to celebrate our 5 year wedding aniversary. We've wanted to go for a long time because we heard it was a wonderful place. To start, they were kind enough to upgrade for free to a slope side view. Our first evening, we came into a strawberry and champagne surprise that we thought was a very thoughtful touch.
The lobby / bartender (Shanna) was more than helpful and went above and beyond answering our questions about the area and hotel. The gym was amazing and the view was spectacular. Plenty of equipment.
The breakfast menu in the hotel restaurant was great. The buffet looked great but way more food that we could eat for the price. Plan on paying an additional $45 for hotel fees and parking. All in all a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Slope side 3rd floor or higher are the best.
Southcentral Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We want to travel all over the United States now that we are more or less retired. But we returned to Beaver Creek after a fabulous vacation last year around the same time! We are Floridians by choice because we do not like snow, so coming here during the off season gave us a GREAT rate and this time, we would hit it during peak season of the aspens changing colors. We used TravelZoo.com for the bargain rate!
Every day, we took an adventure not just in Beaver Creek but went to Aspen to see the leaves (and thanks to Trip Advisor, visited the Maroon Bells which was fabulous), drove to Steamboat Springs (we did not get such great tips for this trip), and took a hike to Mount Whitney, which was about an hour or so drive away and well worth it.
We came to hike and relax and this hotel gave us what we needed: lots of great hiking opportunities, a fabulous heated swimming pool and wonderful jacuzzi's - 5 to be exact...so you never had to share if you didn't want to.
The only reason we did not give this a 5 is that in a 5-star resort, you assume your hotel room will also have a few basics for guests who stay more than one night. We did not have a coffee maker or microwave. We really like to make our own breakfast so we had to improvise. We did have a small refridgerator, but no freezer.
They also have very limited TV channels, encouraging you to just "buy" movies. We just refuse to buy that type of entertainment! We feel it is too high priced when you can use the Redbox and only pay $1 as that is about all we feel a movie is worth! That is just us.
We had selected a room that would view the courtyard. It was not ready when we arrived but they said they had another great room with a better view. We were ready to get settled in so we took it. The walk to the room was very long as this is a huge hotel. I do have to watch how far I walk on manmade surfaces - it bothers my knees. So I learned to now ask, how far will the room be from the elevator?

Room Tip: The only reason we gave our room an average score was we missed a coffee maker and microwave! Other...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!