“Great service, comfortable, roomy, great amenities, good value.” 5 of 5 stars

Falcon Point Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   340 Benchmark Rd, Avon, Beaver Creek, CO 81620   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Specialty lodging in Avon
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“Great service, comfortable, roomy, great amenities, good value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is a great place to stay if you are visitn either Vail or Beaver Creek to ski, hike,whatever. Excellent for families and very economical too. The rooms are updated, large and comfy. The amenties are great, clean, accessible and not overcrowded. Two nice outdoor hottubs and a pool. Awesome kitchens and living space, balconies, community areas, etc. But the best part? The staff are so nice, friendly and helpful. So knowledgable about the area and very concerned that everything is just right for their guests. Any problems or questions have always been taken care of promptly and with a smile. I have been staying at Falcon Point for over 6 years on and off and it just keeps getting better and better. I would recommend it to anyone looking for nice accommodations at a very reasonable price. We just returned from a week's stay and had a wonderful visit, a big thanks to Freda who recommended some great area activities and places to eat for our group of 8. Our room was perfect, nice comfy beds, clean updated bathrooms, great linens, and a lovely, really well equipped kitchen. Fireplaces add to the mountain charm of the place, parking couldn't be easier. Best of all it is steps from the express bus stop and minutes from the gondola up the mountain, so close you could even walk. The grounds are pretty, it is on a lake with a great walking path. Also close enough to town to walk if you don't want to hop the free town busses (which are really nice). I will continue to visit Falcon Point and recommend it to anyone wanting a great colorado vacation.

Room Tip: Ask advice when booking to get a floor plan that best meets your needs. They have several different...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

For reference, I had purchased the lodging at Falcon Point through eBay. I checked the Falcon Point website before bidding and the units looked nice. The seller had positive ratings and had other timeshare rentals in their history so I felt comfortable placing the bid. The auction was for a 2 bedroom unit but it was only my girlfriend and me travelling. I had been looking at 1 bedroom units in the Vail and Beaver Creek areas through VRBO and had a budget of around $1,000 to $1,200 for the week. That amount is not going to get you the Ritz but there were some nice places in that range. The rate on the Falcon Point website during the time frame that we stayed that we stayed (2/3/12-2/10/12) for the 1 bedroom was $198/night and the 2 bedroom was $280/night. There were some “Web Only” specials that cut 20-25% off that price depending upon the dates and length of stay. It looks like Expedia and Orbitz have about the same deal. The price that through the eBay auction was significantly less than those rates so we were coming into already feeling like we got a bargain. That being said, even at the normal rates it is a good price for what you get.

As for the accommodations, the unit that we were assigned was on the south end of the building on an upper floor with a mountain view. It was spacious and well appointed. We did not use the second bedroom but it was nice to have two full baths. There is only one sink so it is a little tight if you have two people getting ready in the morning. Otherwise, based on the floorplans I don’t think that there is much of a difference between the living space in the one bedroom versus the two bedroom unit. It would also be worth noting that the floorplan on the website did not quite match the unit we stayed. There was a queen in the master bedroom and 2 twin beds in the second bedroom. The website shows a king in the master and a queen and twin in the second bedroom. It might have been because we were in an end unit rather than along the sides of the building. However, the view was worth giving up the king bed. As for bed comfort, I would say it was comfortable enough. It was a little firmer than I like (my bed at home is memory foam) but seemed newer and supportive.

The unit had been recently renovated with granite countertops, nice cabinetry and stainless look appliances in the kitchen. The bathrooms had nice tile work and vanities. The furniture in the living space was comfortable enough but a little worn. The fireplace is wood burning so we only used it one night (I am not fond of the smell of the burning wood). It was too cold to use the balcony but the sliding doors let in plenty of light. Our biggest issue was with the heat in the living space. It is a radiant system mounted to the top of the wall. After dark, we had to keep it set to almost 80 degrees to obtain a temperature of 70 degrees in the room. It might have to do with the end unit having more window area or a drafty fireplace. Regardless, you will probably need to wear an extra layer to watch any TV at night.

The building had plenty of amenities. The indoor parking was appreciated on the days we had snow. However, I am not sure there are enough spaces if the building is fully occupied. There were two hot tubs and a heated pool. There is a sauna but it was kept off when not in use so. I was too impatient to let it get hot enough to be effective. There is a nice pool table and ping pong table in the clubhouse. The fitness room isn’t much to brag about but we got all the exercise we needed on the slopes. Speaking of skiing, the shuttle pick-up is a short walk and it is about a 3 minute ride to the gondola at the Westin. Or you can stay on the shuttle and take it up to Beaver Creek Village. There were a couple of guest activities during the week. In particular, there was a free continental breakfast on Saturday and a Super Bowl party on Sunday. Both were sponsored by Starwood and it was their attempt to get you in for their timeshare presentation. There is no pressure to sign up for anything, though.

All in all, I rate it as “very good”. I would stay there again and recommend it to others. All of the staff that I encountered were friendly and helpful. It is an affordable option for the Avon area. It is a little dated when compared to some of the other accommodations nearby but they seem to be doing their best to keep it in good condition.

Room Tip: Unit on south end had nice views and good light. However, if you want a king bed, I am not sure tha...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Kinnelon, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

The first week we stayed in a two bedroom. The rooms were spacious, a little tired, including the beds, but very clean and the staff very attentive. The kitchens were completely outfitted. There was even a maintenance person who came at 10pm when we found light bulbs in the living room were burned out. The pool and 2 hot tubs were clean, hot and well maintained. Due to a major snow storm in Denver, the airport was closed and our group moved into two one bedrooms (all that were available at the last minute) These rooms had recently been redone and in excellent condition. In talking with the front desk, the rest of the rooms will be renovated this year. I had to go to the doctors, and the office manager drove me and found my friends and the entire staff was caring and attentive. 10 min shuttle to Beaver Creek and within walking distance of great restaurant VIN -- fab happy hour when we were there-

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room with the new pillow top beds. This location quiet yet convenient
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Belo Horizonte, MG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We Stayed in FP for 2 nights. Is a excelent alternative to Beaver creek high prices. The hotel is situated on a calm street in Avon, the room are well furnished and well mantained. The kitchen was a positive surprise. Pool and hot tub are very good, but a little croudy in after ski hours. To ski in Beaver Creek there are 2 options, go by car and leave it there (complementary parking is available at BC) or take a bus to BC (had to exchange buses in Avon Station) or take the BUS to the Westin Gondola, and you will be at Bachelor Gulch. All the bus options are free of charge.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Angry
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

I had the worst customer service experience of my life (in any industry) at Falcon Point. It is explained below and it is complicated. If you don't want to read it all, just take away these facts: Falcon Point took advantage of a mistake I made and charged me over $400 for it, even though they were not damaged in any way. They simply saw an opportunity to take advantage of me and they took it. It was shamelessly dishonest and they'd probably do it to you too. In my opinion, they DO NOT deserve your business.

I intended to book a large condo for Dec 30 and 31 but accidentally booked it for Dec 31 and Jan 1. I made my reservation only three days before our intended check-in and used Expedia.com. I discovered my error on Dec 30, when, arriving at night in a snow storm, I attempted to check-in at Falcon Point. The desk clerk (Annette, very kind and helpful) told me that our condo was still available for Dec. 30 and that we could rent it for the additional night and then attempt to straighten out the error with Expedia in the morning. So that is what we did. Expedia agreed to change the reservation to conform with our intentions but informed me that they would pass on to me any fees imposed by Falcon Point for the cancellation. I assumed that Falcon Point would agree to waive any fees, since the place was otherwise vacant during the weekend in question and because we were staying for two nights and willing to pay for two nights (in other words, Falcon Point was not damaged in any way by the mistake). I was wrong.

"Jane," from Falcon Point's Denver-based management organization refused to waive the fee. She explained to me that, in Falcon Point's opinion, the matter was "not about fairness." In other words, she knew that she had me on the hook (with my credit card already authorized for an additional night), and that it would be too costly for me to sue them over the relatively small amount in question. So she ignored what she knew and admitted was the only fair outcome and instead took complete advantage of my innocent mistake, to the tune of $400. Truly despicable.

Now this is my only recourse.

So don't stay there and don't buy their time shares. They are cheap, selfish, and uncaring (except for Annette at the front desk). If you own a unit in Falcon Point, you should blame Jane from Denver for this review. In fact, I told her to call the owner of our rented unit because I was confident that he/she would share my opinion. Of course, Jane refused.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Traveled with wife and two sons to Avon and Beaver Creek. Falcon Point was excellent for our needs. Two BR with fireplace, ample room and a staff that was extremely responsive and friendly. Although the decor is getting a bit long in the tooth and could use some upgrades, it was after all a crash pad for skiing and boarding. The location to Beaver Creek is outstanding. A five minute walk to the gondola or two minutes to bus pickup. Ten - fifteen minutes to market or some restaurants. You could get by without a car, but we preferred to have transportation. Overall and great location that I would visit again. Local restaurants to visit Bob's Place for burgers etc, Ti Amo for good Italian. Avoid at all cost Aguave, terrible service, mediocre food and loud. A bar in the disguise of a eatry..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I agree wholeheartedly with 'heatherr1976'. The only thing I recognise from 'aspenwiggy' was the internet which was definitely iffy! We had a 2 bed unit (213) which was on a corner with a great view over the lake towards the mountains. 2 beds in the 2nd bedroom were ideal for our teenagers and the plentiful (and free replenishment of) firewood was fantastic. Covered parking, ski lockers and proximity to the bus stop for the short trip to Avon station and connection to the slopes at Beaver Creek were great.
Our stay was not without problems, the walls are paper thin and the baby next door was most unwelcome but this is not an unusual issue. Our fridge/freezer (which looked brand new) stopped working but maintenance came along and reset it without fuss. We found all the staff to be very helpful. The welcome breakfast on the Sat morning and wine and nibbles on the Sun evening were also much appreciated. This was a timeshare exchange and we will definitely be at Falcon Point again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Falcon Point Resort? Share your experiences!