“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Avon
Wentzville Mo
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The villas are a wonderful property. Living room, dining, kitchen, bedroom and bath, all wonderfully decorated and clean lines. A special thanks to Michael, who after going to our room, decided I didn't want the ground floor, moved us with no complaint. We had great views on the Avon side, which we enjoyed on our private balcony. Walked to the bakery about a half a mile away and enjoyed breakfast out there. Ate dinner at The Lift, and it was just O.K. Everyone there tried to make us feel special and catered to our every need. Will return next year.

Room Tip: Both sides are good but P2 is ground floor, I woul We were on 4th floor. Construction across from...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WRFManagement, Manager at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Our associates work hard to deliver a memorable experience and we love it when we hear we achieved the goal. The Avon Bakery down the road is awesome. We recommend trying it for lunch as well, and the bagels, they don’t last much more than a day or two are worth bringing back the villa. We look forward to having you back. Thank you.

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

As a Starwood timeshare owner, I have 2 issues with this particular Westin: lack of a view and lack of courtesy. First and foremost is that the villas appear to be added as almost an after thought. They're situated on the back of the main building where it takes you forever to get to and your 2 options are either facing the main road and town (not especially scenic), or facing Beaver Creek but directly looking through the gondola lines running, lengthwise across your view. If they were running, you'd have a non-stop stream of people staring in your windows all day. We went in early Sept and they were not running yet. However, even though they were not, there was a massive energy unit blowing non-stop directly to the left of the gondolas. It was loud and never shut off. It was like the scene from Blues Brothers in Elwood's apartment next to the L tracks. In addition, we specifically asked for a room off of the ground floor at the time of the reservation but that's what we got anyways. When we asked to be moved, even though it was early Sept and we hardly saw any other guests there except a few, they gave us some speech about how they couldn't change anything because the rooms were pre-assigned by Starwood for the owners. We called SPG. We called Starwood. Both of them denied that they pre-assigned the room. When we brought that information back to the front desk, they were unwilling to even tell us what was available or give us another option. Luckily, we only stayed there for 4 days. The Steamboat Springs, CO property is MUCH more desirable; better view; and MUCH better staff! Won't be back to this property again. Are the beds comfortable? Yes. Is the interior nice? Yes. But, if you are expecting Westin quality overall, this falls way short.

Room Tip: If you have to stay at the Westin, don't pick the Villas. Perhaps the hotel rooms are better. Th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WRFManagement, Manager at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
We try hard to deliver great service and so it is most disappointing to know we failed for you. We are very sorry. The Villas building is on the west side of the main Resort, just across and connected to the Gondola Plaza. Both buildings have very similar views, front facing north, and back facing south. The Riverfront Express Gondola usually begins service in mid-December and runs through season closing either late March or early April. We have never had a complaint that riders could see inside a Villa, it might be possible in a few of the units, frankly we are not sure. The information you were given about villa location assignment is correct. These are assigned by the Owner Services Team in Orlando based on the time stamp of the reservation, first reserved is first assigned, and owner stays get priority over rental or point stays. Home Resort Owners can book 365 days in advance, and from our experience, usually do so they can better the chances of the preferred view. We assume all our guests want the Eagle River view as high up as possible. Because view is in such demand and because we want to ensure the integrity of the process, we do not allow the associates at the front desk to make changes to villa location/view. As I am sure you can understand if we did allow them to make changes we might as well not have a process. While it may have seemed the building was not busy, we were near full almost every day throughout the month of September. Of course, if you choose to change your mind, we would welcome you back. Thank you.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was my first visit to these villas, and I used my Starwood ownership at another resort to reserve a studio here over Labor Day week. I requested a unit facing the river and was given exactly that on a low floor, P1 (Parking1). While I could catch a tiny peek of the river from my villa, the amount of greenery, mountains, blue skies and puffy white clouds was beautiful and exactly what I needed. Being on P1 actually worked out well with easy access to my car and the chance to cut across the parking garage to the fitness center and pool at the Westin hotel next door. My room was very well-appointed and maintained, and they really thought of the little details that would make guests comfortable including humidifer units in the room...dry mountain air, you know!

The location can't be beat, right at the base of Beaver Creek mountain, not far from I-70 and right on the bike path that runs through all the neighboring communities. It was a great jumping off point for bike rides and hikes on paths and mountains nearby. Yes, I heard that giant fan from near the gondolas every time I went out on my balcony (definitely annoying) and it did stop me from sitting outside a lot....that and the fact that the people below me were outside smoking on their patio despite Westin's smoking ban. Thankfully, the Westin did a great job with sound insulation of the glass and I couldn't really hear the fan while in my villa.

Overall, I found the villa and the property to be luxurious and relaxing, and I will definitely be back next year for a villa stay!

However, personally I would not want to stay in the Westin hotel next door due to the high number of dogs present within it. Three of them had a loud, vicious, bloody dogfight right in front of me at the check-in desk in the lobby, and while I love dogs, I don't want to see them fighting or hear them barking in the room next door while I'm on vacation relaxing...I get enough of that at home!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Mercer Island, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is gorgeous, with a great staff and lovely fitness center. They give you a smores kit for use in the evenings around the fire. This is a great place for kids! I had some problems with the altitude and didn't sleep well, but it was not the fault of the hotel. The rooms were elegant and the village area was really nice. We went hiking and the altitude was a bit much for me even though I am an experienced hiker.Most people take the lift up and hike down. Don't miss the Green Pork Chilli (Colorado style) at the cafe in the village. Really great!

Room Tip: One thing is that food is quite expensive. We ate at the hotel and an Egg Muffin type thing was more...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

As owners of the Westin Riverfront Mountain Villa timeshare property, we have never been disappointed while staying here in the Beaver Creek area! Plenty of Cool weather, a relief from the Texas heat, friendly staff, beautiful mountains to enjoy and tons of fun activities to join in while in the area! We always look forward to getting to our property and 'cry' when we have to return home! The Villas are beautiful and we love sitting on our balcony relaxing and listening to the bubbling streams below!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sylvania, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed at the westin riverfront mountain villas near the end of July and the weather was fantastic. Each day was around 85 degrees and 50-60 at night. I'm from South Georgia so I was unprepared for the extremely dry air. Loved that the westin had a humidifier in the room. It saved us! Our studio was perfect for our stay. Not too small and well equipped for our needs. We had a view of the Eagle River and the mountains beyond. It was so relaxing to sit on the balcony and drink some coffee or read a book.
While we were there we enjoyed several activites. Our favorite was tandum paragliding with Vail Valley Paragliding. Its only a 10min drive to the landing location. We also enjoyed a hot air balloon ride with Colorado Hot Air Balloon Rides. We had to drive to Brekenridge to our pick up location but this company has a champagne toast and a full breakfast included in their price. Also Brekenridge was great! There's great shopping at the base of the mountains in the downtown area and there's a free gondola that can take you up the mountain where there's other activities like slides,etc. Parking at the gondola is free during the summer and a short walk to the shopping/restaurants. There's even a place that you can rent a paddle board and paddle around the little lake in the middle of the town. This was one of our favorite little towns! We also rented bikes one day and rode the 8 miles round trip from Avon to Edwards along the river. We rented our bikes from Christy's sport which is about a 5min walk from the westin. It was less expensive and you got more time with the bikes. FYI: the trip to Edwards is downhill and lots of fun but the trip back is uphill and exhausting especially when your not use to the thin air! If you enjoy amusement parks, theres a small one at the top of a mountain in Glenwood Springs. It had some fun rides at Glenwood Adventure Park. It is small but still fun. There are farmers market each weekend in the small towns in the area each weekend during this time of year. There's even an ice skating rink at the Beaver Creek village. You can walk to the bus stop and a free shuttle will take you up the mountain. There's restaurants and shops there as well. Another great shopping/restaurant area is Vail which is only about 10-15min away. There's lots of hiking and biking available there. Unfortunately, the gondolas aren't free there. We paid $32 for a day gondola pass that included a $15 credit for food or activities on the mountain. It was a good deal!We rode the gondola up at Lionshead, hiked across to the gondola one at Vail and then rode it down. This way we got to hike without all the uphill climb! There were many things we didn't get the chance to do during our week in Colorado. This area is definitely not just a winter vacation destination!
The food in the area was definitely over priced! Don't expect to find any chain restaurants because there aren't any.There was a burger king and a subway close to the westin but that's it. We bought groceries and ate breakfast and some lunches in our room. The grocery store and a liquor store are within a short walk. There's even a walmart about a 5min drive away. Our favorite meal was an outdoor bistro at the top of Vails mountain where we used our $15 credit voucher each that we purchased at the gondola. Ended up costing us about $4 more!
This was a great place to visit for a summer vacation away from all the heat and humidity! We loved it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
St Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Based on other reviews, I was really looking forward to this family vacation. We booked this late summer trip 8 months prior with plans to make it extra special since one of our daughters would be celebrating her birthday. With only 5 hours at the resort, everyone would like to leave.

We've been a Starwood Vacation Owners for 10 years and we experienced many firsts today - none of which were good. First, we arrived at 4:10pm. Check-in time is 4:00pm. Given check out time is 10am, this should have allowed adequate time for housekeeping to clean. We didn't have a room until 6:00pm. No apology. No nothing. When you pay what you do to be an owner, combined with the fact most people only get 1-2 family vacations each year, this is really not acceptable for a 4 star property.

Our room was on the river side, but it was so low you couldn't see the river. When we opened the balcony door, I thought I was vacationing in a factory. The noise from the fans, which the GM said would be addressed 8 months ago in a Tripadvisor response, were going strong. So much for meals or relaxation on the balcony.

We decided to go to the pool. As others have noted, there really isn't a convenient way to get to the pool from the villas. We stopped by the villa concierge desk and asked if there was a better way. After hearing there wasn't a better route, the concierge scolded us a minimum of 5 times for not visiting her prior to speaking with the concierge at the hotel. I really don't think guests should be reprimanded because someone didn't get credit for scheduling an owner update.

On our way to the pool, we went down the hotel steps by the ballrooms where wedding receptions are held. My wife found glass all over the stairs. She picked up several large pieces that were bigger than a quarter and threw them away. I guess housekeeping must be on vacation.

The pool and the hot tubs were very nice in both appearance and temperature. On our way back to our room, one of our children(who had not been swimming) slipped and fell on an extremely wet floor inside the hotel. My wife spoke with the front desk and they provided some ice. It's now 9pm and I'm not seeing the smiles after day 1 that I saw during our family vacation in April.

To be fair, I should add that the 1 bedroom premium room itself is nice and the valet guys have been great with answering questions about the area.

In summary, at this property I experienced my first 2 hour check in delay EVER with not even an apology, I experienced my first room with a balcony I can't use due to noise, I experienced being reprimanded by a concierge, broken glass on the stairs, and one of my children had an accident at a hotel - all within the first 5 hours, all firsts, and all not good. I can only hope others have a better experience.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WRFManagement, Manager at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We appreciate you for leaving this review while you were still staying in the hotel. I am shocked by the experience you have had, and the way you have been treated. Aside from the villa location assignment and the proximity of the villa building to the adjacent Resort and amenities, we are absolutely guilty, and fully intend to amend for our shortcomings in the remaining days prior to your departure. The late check-in, the experience with our concierge, the broken glass, and the lack of follow up on your daughter’s condition should not have happened. In regards to villa view and location assignment we assign based on the time stamp of your reservation. First reserved is first assigned. Our home resort owners are able to book 12 months in advance as opposed to the 8 months in advance you booked. With July being such a busy time of year we are unable to get all our owners on the higher floors river side. In fact, many of the owners are on the complete other side, and would probably jump at the chance to switch villas with you. We are acutely aware of the noise the gondola fans are making and continue to work through channels to have this situation addressed. Thank you for bringing this experience to our attention, we appreciate the nice comment about our one bedroom premium villa and the service you have received from our valet parking team.

Been to The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas? Share your experiences!