“A great place to nest amidst mountains of fun!” 5 of 5 stars

The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   218 Riverfront Lane, Avon, Beaver Creek, CO 81620   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Avon
Chicago, Illinois
“A great place to nest amidst mountains of fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was my first visit to these villas, and I used my Starwood ownership at another resort to reserve a studio here over Labor Day week. I requested a unit facing the river and was given exactly that on a low floor, P1 (Parking1). While I could catch a tiny peek of the river from my villa, the amount of greenery, mountains, blue skies and puffy white clouds was beautiful and exactly what I needed. Being on P1 actually worked out well with easy access to my car and the chance to cut across the parking garage to the fitness center and pool at the Westin hotel next door. My room was very well-appointed and maintained, and they really thought of the little details that would make guests comfortable including humidifer units in the room...dry mountain air, you know!

The location can't be beat, right at the base of Beaver Creek mountain, not far from I-70 and right on the bike path that runs through all the neighboring communities. It was a great jumping off point for bike rides and hikes on paths and mountains nearby. Yes, I heard that giant fan from near the gondolas every time I went out on my balcony (definitely annoying) and it did stop me from sitting outside a lot....that and the fact that the people below me were outside smoking on their patio despite Westin's smoking ban. Thankfully, the Westin did a great job with sound insulation of the glass and I couldn't really hear the fan while in my villa.

Overall, I found the villa and the property to be luxurious and relaxing, and I will definitely be back next year for a villa stay!

However, personally I would not want to stay in the Westin hotel next door due to the high number of dogs present within it. Three of them had a loud, vicious, bloody dogfight right in front of me at the check-in desk in the lobby, and while I love dogs, I don't want to see them fighting or hear them barking in the room next door while I'm on vacation relaxing...I get enough of that at home!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Mercer Island, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is gorgeous, with a great staff and lovely fitness center. They give you a smores kit for use in the evenings around the fire. This is a great place for kids! I had some problems with the altitude and didn't sleep well, but it was not the fault of the hotel. The rooms were elegant and the village area was really nice. We went hiking and the altitude was a bit much for me even though I am an experienced hiker.Most people take the lift up and hike down. Don't miss the Green Pork Chilli (Colorado style) at the cafe in the village. Really great!

Room Tip: One thing is that food is quite expensive. We ate at the hotel and an Egg Muffin type thing was more...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

As owners of the Westin Riverfront Mountain Villa timeshare property, we have never been disappointed while staying here in the Beaver Creek area! Plenty of Cool weather, a relief from the Texas heat, friendly staff, beautiful mountains to enjoy and tons of fun activities to join in while in the area! We always look forward to getting to our property and 'cry' when we have to return home! The Villas are beautiful and we love sitting on our balcony relaxing and listening to the bubbling streams below!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sylvania, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed at the westin riverfront mountain villas near the end of July and the weather was fantastic. Each day was around 85 degrees and 50-60 at night. I'm from South Georgia so I was unprepared for the extremely dry air. Loved that the westin had a humidifier in the room. It saved us! Our studio was perfect for our stay. Not too small and well equipped for our needs. We had a view of the Eagle River and the mountains beyond. It was so relaxing to sit on the balcony and drink some coffee or read a book.
While we were there we enjoyed several activites. Our favorite was tandum paragliding with Vail Valley Paragliding. Its only a 10min drive to the landing location. We also enjoyed a hot air balloon ride with Colorado Hot Air Balloon Rides. We had to drive to Brekenridge to our pick up location but this company has a champagne toast and a full breakfast included in their price. Also Brekenridge was great! There's great shopping at the base of the mountains in the downtown area and there's a free gondola that can take you up the mountain where there's other activities like slides,etc. Parking at the gondola is free during the summer and a short walk to the shopping/restaurants. There's even a place that you can rent a paddle board and paddle around the little lake in the middle of the town. This was one of our favorite little towns! We also rented bikes one day and rode the 8 miles round trip from Avon to Edwards along the river. We rented our bikes from Christy's sport which is about a 5min walk from the westin. It was less expensive and you got more time with the bikes. FYI: the trip to Edwards is downhill and lots of fun but the trip back is uphill and exhausting especially when your not use to the thin air! If you enjoy amusement parks, theres a small one at the top of a mountain in Glenwood Springs. It had some fun rides at Glenwood Adventure Park. It is small but still fun. There are farmers market each weekend in the small towns in the area each weekend during this time of year. There's even an ice skating rink at the Beaver Creek village. You can walk to the bus stop and a free shuttle will take you up the mountain. There's restaurants and shops there as well. Another great shopping/restaurant area is Vail which is only about 10-15min away. There's lots of hiking and biking available there. Unfortunately, the gondolas aren't free there. We paid $32 for a day gondola pass that included a $15 credit for food or activities on the mountain. It was a good deal!We rode the gondola up at Lionshead, hiked across to the gondola one at Vail and then rode it down. This way we got to hike without all the uphill climb! There were many things we didn't get the chance to do during our week in Colorado. This area is definitely not just a winter vacation destination!
The food in the area was definitely over priced! Don't expect to find any chain restaurants because there aren't any.There was a burger king and a subway close to the westin but that's it. We bought groceries and ate breakfast and some lunches in our room. The grocery store and a liquor store are within a short walk. There's even a walmart about a 5min drive away. Our favorite meal was an outdoor bistro at the top of Vails mountain where we used our $15 credit voucher each that we purchased at the gondola. Ended up costing us about $4 more!
This was a great place to visit for a summer vacation away from all the heat and humidity! We loved it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
St Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Based on other reviews, I was really looking forward to this family vacation. We booked this late summer trip 8 months prior with plans to make it extra special since one of our daughters would be celebrating her birthday. With only 5 hours at the resort, everyone would like to leave.

We've been a Starwood Vacation Owners for 10 years and we experienced many firsts today - none of which were good. First, we arrived at 4:10pm. Check-in time is 4:00pm. Given check out time is 10am, this should have allowed adequate time for housekeeping to clean. We didn't have a room until 6:00pm. No apology. No nothing. When you pay what you do to be an owner, combined with the fact most people only get 1-2 family vacations each year, this is really not acceptable for a 4 star property.

Our room was on the river side, but it was so low you couldn't see the river. When we opened the balcony door, I thought I was vacationing in a factory. The noise from the fans, which the GM said would be addressed 8 months ago in a Tripadvisor response, were going strong. So much for meals or relaxation on the balcony.

We decided to go to the pool. As others have noted, there really isn't a convenient way to get to the pool from the villas. We stopped by the villa concierge desk and asked if there was a better way. After hearing there wasn't a better route, the concierge scolded us a minimum of 5 times for not visiting her prior to speaking with the concierge at the hotel. I really don't think guests should be reprimanded because someone didn't get credit for scheduling an owner update.

On our way to the pool, we went down the hotel steps by the ballrooms where wedding receptions are held. My wife found glass all over the stairs. She picked up several large pieces that were bigger than a quarter and threw them away. I guess housekeeping must be on vacation.

The pool and the hot tubs were very nice in both appearance and temperature. On our way back to our room, one of our children(who had not been swimming) slipped and fell on an extremely wet floor inside the hotel. My wife spoke with the front desk and they provided some ice. It's now 9pm and I'm not seeing the smiles after day 1 that I saw during our family vacation in April.

To be fair, I should add that the 1 bedroom premium room itself is nice and the valet guys have been great with answering questions about the area.

In summary, at this property I experienced my first 2 hour check in delay EVER with not even an apology, I experienced my first room with a balcony I can't use due to noise, I experienced being reprimanded by a concierge, broken glass on the stairs, and one of my children had an accident at a hotel - all within the first 5 hours, all firsts, and all not good. I can only hope others have a better experience.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WRFManagement, Manager at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We appreciate you for leaving this review while you were still staying in the hotel. I am shocked by the experience you have had, and the way you have been treated. Aside from the villa location assignment and the proximity of the villa building to the adjacent Resort and amenities, we are absolutely guilty, and fully intend to amend for our shortcomings in the remaining days prior to your departure. The late check-in, the experience with our concierge, the broken glass, and the lack of follow up on your daughter’s condition should not have happened. In regards to villa view and location assignment we assign based on the time stamp of your reservation. First reserved is first assigned. Our home resort owners are able to book 12 months in advance as opposed to the 8 months in advance you booked. With July being such a busy time of year we are unable to get all our owners on the higher floors river side. In fact, many of the owners are on the complete other side, and would probably jump at the chance to switch villas with you. We are acutely aware of the noise the gondola fans are making and continue to work through channels to have this situation addressed. Thank you for bringing this experience to our attention, we appreciate the nice comment about our one bedroom premium villa and the service you have received from our valet parking team.
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Booked my room in September of 2012, and I own a summer week at this location. I end up with a room that faces construction and we can't even open my windows and doors. I bought this condo to see the mountains for a week and breathe in the mountain air. I asked the front desk and the villas concierge to help. Both just said "we are full, so no ability to move you". The person at the front desk handed me a card with a 1-800 number on it and says "call here". Isn't that why you have a warm body checking people in - to provide customer service. The on duty manager at the front desk told my wife her confirmation number was not valid and that our reservation was made in February of 2012, telling us we got bumped down in priority because we didn't book when we were supposed to. Checked SPG, and my reservation code is valid and the date booked is September. Basically, someone changed my reservation date, causing us to lose priority so that platinum or whatever SPG members could be on the mountain side. BEWARE...before you buy here that this might happen. Promises of mountain views and that legendary customer service. If you are not a Starwood Platinum owner, you will be bumped to the back of the building. Check out your view!

Stayed July 2013
WRFManagement, Manager at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
It is always disappointing for us when we cannot deliver on an owner request. We do wish we could have given you exactly what you wanted, really we do, please understand our inability to do so is not a reflection about how we care for our owners, or your lack of effort to get exactly what you wanted. We do see you are on a Home Resort stay and booked on 9/13/2012 at 12:46pm EST for arrival on 7/13/2013. We will not claim the system we have in place to determine room/view assignment is perfect, but it does bring integrity to the process. While all of our rooms have some view of the mountains, the most frequently requested view is Beaver Creek Mountain. In all fairness, we assume each of our owners want that preferred view as high up as possible. We start by assigning our Home Resort Owners based on when they made their reservation. It is a first reserved first assigned system. Home Resort Owners can book 365 days in advance and so the window for booking a 7/13/2013 arrival actually started on 7/13/2012. We have about 15 total units with the view you requested, and owner arrivals that take place on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Based on that we have on any given arrival date about 5 units that fall into the category you requested. Also, while we do not have many we do have some fixed unit owners; most of these take place in July, December, January and February. So the possibility is we might not even have 5 available units to assign on a given arrival date. What we do have available goes to the owner who booked their reservation first. We show you were the 6th owner who booked on your arrival date. Our preference of course is to give every one of our owners exactly what they ask for, but in these super busy months when it is not possible to get all our owners on the preferred view, our systems bring some measure of integrity to the process. Our sales teams are not authorized to make any promises of view or assignment to our floating unit/week owners and if you were told otherwise we want to know who on our team made that statement as we will follow up on that appropriately. I hope the information provided helps you to understand what you can do to better the chances of getting the view you really want, booking as early as possible, ideally 365 days in advance and/or choosing off peak periods, perhaps early or later summer. Off peak periods all this really is a non-issue. Thank you for being an owner at Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas.
Wellington, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I took our two dogs to the mountains and had a beautiful studio suite at the Westin. The hotel is the essence of luxury. They even gave us Westin Heavenly Beds for the dogs! The fitness center is one of the best we have seen in the world.

Room Tip: Do not allow the front desk to put you in a room on the underground level. Anywhere else is just fi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WRFManagement, Manager at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
As much as we love our dogs, the Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, as a timeshare resort is restricted from allowing pets. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your experience, unfortunately we do not allow dogs, and so we think your stay was next door at the adjacent Westin Riverfront Resort and Spa. We hope you will give us a try as well, but sorry, don’t bring the dogs.

Been to The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas? Share your experiences!