“Would visit again, very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
NYC, NY
“Would visit again, very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

We stayed at the Westin Riverfront for five days/four nights over the Thanksgiving holidays. From the Eagle Vail airport, take the ECO bus - it's $4.00 for a 40 minute trip to the hotel. The bus stops right across from the hotel. A car service will charge $50 per person.

We visited while the hotel's express gondola to Beaver Creek (BC) was not running (down season). Take the Avon bus (free) around town or the BC shuttle (free) bus to BC, both of which also stop right across from the hotel. There is also a large City Market grocery store about 5-10 minutes away, if you want to take advantage of the small kitchen in the room (dishwasher, fridge, sink, microwave, stove, toaster, dishes, silverware, etc.).

Hotel is very dog friendly - LOVED THAT. Gym facilities were fantastic - plenty of cardio machines in variety as well as number, towels/water/magazines/headsets provided, tv's in every machine (small quibble - can't key in specific channel, must scroll up and down through channels). Locker facilities have swimsuit agitators to dry swimsuits. Large outdoor heated pool and three excellent outdoor heated infinity jacuzzi tubs (small quibble - can see the road from the tubs, so traffic takes you out of the beautiful surroundings).

Spa treatments were excellent! Spa locker facilities were well stocked, clean and beautiful. Check hotel's Twitter and spa's website for any monthly specials. Waiting area could use more varied magazines. Business center has two available computers (no charge to use), but printer was not working the whole time we were there and sometimes had problems logging on. Hotel market was handy, but hours are a bit limited.

LOVED the decor of the hotel - from the rooms to the spa and everywhere in between, gorgeous. There is a great walking/jogging path around the property and surrounding area and lake. Mountain views from our room.

Previous posts are correct - they don't replace toiletries unless you ask for them. Small quibble - not Bliss products as with previous Westin's, but Westin products that weren't bad, but paled in comparison. Tons of pillows on the bed, excellent. Flat screen tv with good selection of channels. Tiny balcony (no room for chairs or table). Gas fireplace was purely decorative and gave off no heat whatsoever. This was an issue because for the first day and half, the room was FREEZING. No matter how high we turned the thermostat, the room was like an ice box. Our first complaint on the first day to reception was unsuccessful. Our second complaint to reception (shout out to Nick, he's the man!) yielded results in two engineers coming to our room. After they fixed the broken thermostat, the room was nice and toasty for the rest of our stay.

Restaurants hightly reccommended - Dusty Boot Saloon (BC), Beaver Creek General Store (excellent ice cream), Grouse Mountain Grill (The Pines), 8100 (excellent mac and cheese with veggies).

So-so restaurant experiences - Vin 48 (surprisingly bland food and service - doing a sampling menu to try new dishes to add, disappointing), Avondale (good, but not spectacular experience).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

637 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband, kids and I all loved this hotel! We were on a road trip and this was the third Westin we had stayed at and the absolute best!!! The people were unbelievably attentive! The concierge was very helpful. I can't say enough about the service, bar-none!!!
The room was beautiful, very modern decor. The bathroom was nice and modern. I prefer seperate tub and shower, but they didn't have that. The lobby had a lot of books and lots of games you could play. We sat in the lobby with the kids for about an hour entertaining them with the games. The kids club doesn't take them until they are 4, so we didn't use the facilities, but they looked nice and very organized.
For breakfast we usually went to "The Market" which was inside the hotel. They have great coffee, smoothies , pre-made foods and various other options. I highly recommend it for fast, cheap and kid friendly solutions to breakfast.
We also ate at the restaurant inside the hotel for dinner. The restaurant was really good! We ordered a lot so are bill was probably higher than it needed to be, but we felt like splurging toward the end of our road trip.
We broke a glass in our room and called housekeeping, they came immediately and were very nice. The man vacuumed the entire area and was very pleasant.
I can't say enough great things about this hotel. My husband is anxious to return.
For me, waking up every morning looking outside at the creek and the mountains was the best experience!!! I loved staying a beautiful resort in an incredible mountain setting.
I would highly recommend this property!

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Why I didn't give the hotel a "10" score....

The hotel valet/parking system is quirky. Self-Parking costs costs more money than valet. The parking lot is the tightest, narrowest, and twistiest underground parking structure I've ever seen. The risk of having your car dented and/or scratched by valet is very high. The only positive aspect of the garage is the # of parking spots available.

I called the concierge a few times, leaving a message once on voice mail, but never received a return call.

The price of room service is astronomical too.

Also, the hallway where my room was located was slightly dirty. It looked like it needed a vacuum or two. The hallway also was lined with room service trays all too often.

Food:
My wife and I ordered dinner one night from Room Service. The meal was brought on time. The Room Service attendants were very nice and professional. The quality of the food and presentation was superb.
I opted for the a la carte breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. The breakfast was really great. The coffee is a local brew(not organic per server)with beans from a roaster that is located in one of the highest elevations of any roaster in the world. Pretty cool fact. The views from the restaurant overlooking BC is first class. The ambiance would've been perfect if it wasn't for two gentleman at the next table talking obnoxiously.

The hotel also has a great market just off the main lobby. The store sells gourmet drinks, salads, sandwiches, soups, breakfast items,

Room:
This hotel belongs in Soho, NYC. The decor is amazing. We reserved a one bedroom suite with a mountain view. Upoon entering the room we quickly realized that the mountain view was of the mountain range across I-70, not the Beaver Creek side. Also, our room overlooked the valet/main lobby entrance. It annoyed me at first, but I quickly learned that the windows are as thick as Fort Knox preventing any noise from entering the suite. The kitchen was so spacious and chock full of amenities for any style cook.
The refrigerator was spotless(a pet peeve of mine)too.
The 42" flat screen sprung over the fireplace was excellent. HD satellite feed all the way. I can't stand going to a hotel with an enormous TV and poor reception.
The family room was really comfortable providing two oversized leather chairs and two large sofas and a very large coffee table. There was certainly plenty of room to stretch out in the utmost of style and comfort. According to the Westin Riverfront website the room dimensions are 850sq feet.
The balcony was small but just the right size to allow for people watching or just simple relaxing on the patio chairs.
The bedroom was very spacious. Filling the space included a large desk, the famous Westin bed, 32" flat screen, two night stands, a sitting chair, plenty of closet space and finally two dressers for clothing. The bathroom was also spacious. The bathroom has a great big tub and shower to fulfill one's hygienic dreams and desires. The bathroom would've been perfect if it had a towel warmer and radiant heated floor.

Dining Room:
The dining room consisted of an 6-8 person table.

San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

We absolutely can't say enough good things about this place. It was beautiful, stylish and contemporary, but comfortable and friendly towards children. The service and staff are perfect. They have hot chocolate for you when you come in to return your skis, which you rent right there. The gondola drops you right off at the lift. The restaurant is phenomenal. The facilities, spa, child care, etc are just amazing. Everyone is so helpful and friendly. My daughter left a toy there and they mailed it to us, free of charge. It was the best family vacation!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Princeton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Stayed for three nights with three children (11, 9 and 5). It was very quiet - not many people staying the last week in August so that was nice. Pool is fantastic as are the hot tubs. Every staff member we encountered was incredibly helpful and nice. The kids club staff were amazing and went out of their way to welcome our kids. My only advice, the one time we brought our kids to the dining room for breakfast - the "kids" menu wasn't exactly kid friendly. They need to simplify it.

Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

My husband and I drove up to the Westin from Denver for a few days of R&R. Typically we only visit the area in the winter with our skis, but our summer visit exceeded our expectations. The hotel was fabulous with a gorgeous, welcoming lobby, and exceedingly helpful staff. Everything was new and perfectly decorated for a mountain retreat. Our room had all the extra touches-- a nice, large bathroom with double sinks and 2 shower heads, an ipod dock on the clock radio, flat screen TV on a wall-mounted swivel to watch from anywhere in the room, and a cozy gas fireplace. It also had a small kitchenette area and a huge patio with great views, so we bought groceries and ate breakfast and lunch on the patio. The knowledgeable concierge directed us to fabulous area restaurants for dinner. The hotel sits right next to the river with easy access to a paved walking/bike path running along the river. The fitness area is the best hotel fitness facility I've seen, with top of the line equipment and even offering aerobics and spin classes. There is a huge outdoor pool and 3 hot tubs. In the winter you can take the gondola up to Beaver Creek directly from the hotel! My favorite part of all was probably the spa. The facility was gorgeous and the service was very relaxing. Spa services are 30% off of regular prices for hotel guests. I feel like the guys on Spinal Tap whose amp goes up to 11 rather than 10. If I could award this place more than 5 stars, I would.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights in September where we took advantage of a deal to save 50% off the 2nd night (first night was $169). I had to find this deal off the specific Westin Riverfront site, as the general Starwood member site (I’m a Starwood member) didn’t show this promotion unless you specifically put in the promo code. I think Starwood should respect their members enough to show the best available deal for the nights requested, especially when they say they are providing the "Best Available Rate".

The Westin is located in Avon which is 8 miles west of Vail and 2 miles down the hill from Beaver Creek. Avon itself is pretty nondescript, really a ‘burb to these other places. The Westin itself is located well away from the I70 which I wasn’t sure about until we arrived, but is near Hwy 6 which is quite noisy at certain times of the day. We didn’t have a room on that side, but the road noise was pronounced from the pool area. When we rolled up to the Westin we were told that valet parking was pretty much a requirement. That is, we could pay $15/day for valet (unlimited in and out privileges), or $30/day for self parking (have you heard of such a thing?). To be fair, the valet attendants were very nice and offered prompt service, but we prefer to park our own car and save money (the tips add up). We booked a studio suite with a king size bed. We were shown to a ground floor level room with a view of a fence, and with a bike/walking path going by (the hotel was very quiet, but we didn’t warrant an upgrade). The room was ultra clean with a gray décor (not my favorite), and had a very well equipped kitchenette with a two burner stove, microwave, mini fridge etc. There were plenty of glasses and cookware if you wanted to cook. We did have quite a problem with our mini-fridge. The first morning it was nice to have ice cold orange juice, that is actual ice floating in our OJ. However, after we had two Cokes explode, one in the fridge and one upon opening it on the couch, our fridge/freezer needed attention. Upon entering our room we also noticed our LCD TV was not working since we were trying to catch some of the US Open tennis. We waited 45 minutes to unpack while an engineer was contacted to fix the TV (we didn’t know if we were going to have to move). With a circuit board in hand the engineer entered our room, but discovered the plug to the back of the TV (not the wall) was not plugged in tight enough. The TV provided a beautiful picture. The room couch was very comfortable; the chair was not unless you like to sit very upright. We planned this trip because we were contemplating buying a Heavenly Bed. The bed linens were comfortable, but the bed itself we decided was slightly firmer than we like, but we slept well as our room was very quiet.

The pool and 3 infinity Jacuzzis were fantastic although definitely have the potential to be overrun with kids, and there is road noise as I mentioned. The gym was out of this world! You will not find many hotel gyms better equipped than this one. I guess these are the facilities that you are paying for in the $20/day “resort fee”. I have never understood why hotels charge resort fees. It’s not something you can elect to pay or not pay, so why not include it in the room rate?? WiFi access was of course also extra and forget trying to get 3G service for your iphone. You can get free WiFi at a Super 8, but you have to pay at the Westin. My iphone showed I had 3G access the whole time, but was never able to get on (probably AT&T is oversubscribed in Vail like everywhere else). The Westin does have a pleasant free business center with internet access. We didn’t try the Spa or restaurant.

Overall we enjoyed our stay. The staff was attentive and the facilities were in excellent condition. Would we stay again, probably not. We generally prefer condos where we aren’t being nickel and dimed our whole stay. Our room rate for 2 days added up to $253, but with 12% tax, valet parking+tips, resort fees, the bill was $354 + tips (a low season rate, high season would be much more expensive). One of the valets who has lived in the Vail valley for a long time said that Vail has decided to exclusively attract super rich clientele. It has hurt business for the locals (the ones who work), and reduced the clientele diversity that can make a place interesting. We plan to take our business elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!