This new hotel is elegantly understated with an inviting and warm atmosphere. Service is generally friendly but with some notable lapses. Disappointing access to slopes.
1. Room: The room (king std room with pullout sofa) was not large but very well appointed. Furniture was comfortable, new and very attractive. Although Starwood Preferred Guest and the hotel was far from full, we had a room with no view. Not a big issue, but a beautiful view would have been nice. Great, well-appointed kitchette area, nice recessed flat screen TV, fireplace, lots of nooks and crannies to store personal items. Room is very thoughtfully designed.
2. Bath: The bathroom is large, though the shower is unacceptably small. Double vanity and excellent storage.
3. Ski valet: This service is a great convenience, and of course, frees up lots of space in room. Some guys were excellent, some a little less engaged in their job. Perhaps a bit end of season apathy?
4. Concierge/Valet: Well, on the plus side, I will say they were all pretty friendly. I was called by a concierge prior to our trip and told to make sure to get our "grocery bag." Not sure what that meant, but it sounded fun. Upon our arrival, our valet had no idea what this was about, said he'd investigate right away and call us right back. As you can guess, we never heard from him or anyone else again. We had on-going discussions with several concierge about whether or not Beano's was still open for the season. It took a lot of our time, and we received many inconsistent answers. Finally, getting our car took forever both times. One time the key was placed on the wrong hook number, and no reason was provided the other time. When you pay $25/day and call from your room, you kinda want the car fast.
5. Housekeeping/Room Service: Sounds picky but housekeeping did not leave shampoo and conditioner on day 2 (yes we left a tip that morning!). As we were rushed to get ready for dinner and discovered this, we then have to wait over 20 minutes to have it delivered. Otherwise, housekeeping was fine. We ordered room service for one dinner. Typical quality for hotels in this category, though prices on the higher end.
6. Gondola: This was very disappointing. We were in town to ski and would have never booked the hotel had we known the gondola was down for the season. During our late night check in, the valet, in fact, told us exactly where the gondola was for and touted it as really convenient. We learned from our waiter at breakfast the next morning that the gondola had stopped running one week earlier due to cost. This should have been properly disclosed on the website (which prominently claims easy convenience to the slopes via the gondola) or during the registration process. With 3 kids, waiting for buses, was a drag. And, the bus does not run from 11:30 to 2:30, which was very inconvenient.
7. Pool/Hot Tubs: They were terrific. Hot tubs were very nicely heated, with great views.
8. Tidbits: Great biz center with free printing. Nice market/deli. Very good breakfast at Avondale.
As an attorney, I was soured by the misrepresentation about the gondola. But, otherwise, with a few service lapses that more experience will surely fix, our brief 3 night stay was enjoyable.