“good times” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“good times”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed here twice, once in summer and once, in winter. The hotel never feels busy, even though it was sold out. Avon is a smaller area so it is calmer than Vail. Very easy access to ski and restaurants within walking distance. The rooms were clean and comfy, as usual. I enjoyed everything about the place.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for staying with us again at the Westin Riverfront. We are delighted you continue to enjoy our resort, its location and amenities, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The property is nice, but the front desk staff are indifferent and don't care to show any enthusiasm about being there... Nor are they quick to help. If the service was better, this would be a top notch property!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. Our staff strive to provide a personal and memorable experience to all of our guests and we are sorry to hear you may have experienced some difficulties. At your convenience, please reach out to me directly at 970-790-2066. I would value the oppotunity to discuss the details of your stay so that our team can improve for next time.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Not located on a mountain but a short gondola ride away from the beaver creek mountain. rooms were spacious and clean. the hotel lobby and lounge were nice while the restaurant was average but a nice amenity with a good view.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you back soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed here for a night for our first visit to CO. We found the staff to be welcoming, friendly, and helpful. As an SPG Platinum, we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite, which had a large, full kitchen, dining table, separate living room with fireplace, balcony, and a decent sized bedroom. The room, and the property overall, was clean, had natural light, and felt pretty new. We didn't use the fully stocked kitchen or the washer/dryer for our one night, but I would imagine those would be quite handy if we were staying longer.

For those who ski at Beaver Creek (we went to another mountain), the ski lift right on the hotel's backyard would be very convenient. The lobby is nice with its fireplace, free hot cocoa, freshly baked cookies, and live music in the afternoons (see photo). The free shuttle to BC is also helpful if you don't want to drive.

As others have said, this hotel is in Avon, not BC. Avon didn't seem very happening to us, just a few restaurants. To get to BC, you do have to drive or take the shuttle (I suppose you could walk also). The only complaint I have about this property are the numerous extra charges. The resort fee and valet parking are each $20+ / night. At other properties, there's usually an option to self park for free or for a lower rate, and those who want to pay can get the valet. At this hotel, self parking is actually more expensive ($30+), which is ridiculous. They also charge $10 /pp for the full breakfast which for Platinums is free at other SPG properties.

Overall, we liked the property and service a lot but I would think twice before staying here again because of the numerous extra charges.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your loyalty to Starwood and are pleased to hear we were able to provide you with a complimentary Platinum upgrade. We are also pleased you enjoyed your suite and the rest of our resort amenities such as complimentary shuttle services, fresh baked cookies and daily live music. While our resort does charge a resort fee, as well as valet if you park wtih us, our fees are significantly lower than all other resorts in the area. We appreciate your feedback and positive comments and hope to see you back soon.
Atlanta, GA, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Starwood has many wonderful hotels with hardworking, friendly, outgoing people who bend over backwards to help make your stay more pleasant. This hotel, alas, is the exception, they seem to have won some awards and so are just full of themselves with no interest whatsoever in being friendly or providing service. While the valet parking folks were really friendly guys, the front desk and management folks we interacted with were downright rude and obnoxious, insisting that we pay for services that we never consumed, even verifying that we had receipts from competing vendors and then still billing us and insisting on payment with the vengeance of a meter maid or collections service. We absolutely did not feel welcome here and instead felt we were in the maw of a management and revenue maximization entity, not folks in the hospitality industry. I spend 3 - 4 months per year staying in hotels and I had to take a deep breath to book another Starwood or Westin hotel after this experience. Let me explain:

1. Room not ready at 3 or 4 pm. When we arrived to check in, we were told that our room was not yet ready because, in the words of the front desk clerk, "we're so popular". Checkout is at 11 am, but in the 4 - 5 hours between checkout and when we arrived, they didn't manage to get the room ready for the next guests. My kids were pretty shocked by the tone, the desk clerk literally said that the room wasn't ready "because we're so popular". Someone please tell her that when we booked the Sheraton (larger rooms) and the Hyatt (actually in the resort, right at the ski lifts) were both already booked, so we defaulted to this larger property as this Westin still had availability when the others did not.

2. Small rooms, misleading advertising. In describing rooms as "suites", as far as I'm concerned they're basically painting lipstick on a pretty standard, regular hotel room. We booked a "studio suite", however all that means is that you have a regular room (I took a picture of the fire escape plan inside the room, this "suite" really is no larger than any other standard room) with a sleeper sofa in it and a kitchenette. Our family of 4 was pretty crowded in there, we had to stack luggage, stuff things into the cabinets, etc. to have enough floor space to walk around. My guess is that they're trying to fool vacation travelers who don't get out much or know what a suite really looks like, but the "studio suite" we stayed in is clearly not a suite. Both my family and I have stayed in "studio suites" in other Westin hotels and suites in many other hotels, what this place serves up as a "suite" doesn't look anything like a suite - to me, this is simply misleading advertising.

3. Sloppy service. This place was crowded and stuffed to the gills with people. I spend 3 - 4 months per year, every year, staying in hotels and every year stay in hotels that are fully booked, but usually hotels are efficient and you don't notice. Here, you do notice. Service is just sloppy. We ran out of toilet paper twice (one roll is not enough for a family of 4), they didn't replenish the regular (as opposed to decaf) coffee for the coffee maker several times, once we came back at 5 pm from a day of skiing to find the cleaning person in our room, apparently in the 7 or 8 hours since we had left the room in the morning they just didn't have time to get to our room. Luggage assistance takes a while, you have to wait and wait and call several times to get your luggage delivered at checkin or picked up at checkout. Once we had to call the main number from our cell phones because the "service express" and front desk lines just didn't bother to answer the phone when we dialed from the room phone. On one of the days our room had a smell of "toilet" or sewage. Additionally, this was noisy, we could hear dogs barking in the middle of the night on more than one night, people arguing in the hall, noises from other rooms - not exactly upscale...

4. Location. The location is fine, neither good nor bad. Remember, this hotel is not actually located in the Beaver Creek resort, rather it is outside, down in the town of Avon, which offers many competing options for accommodation. To get to the resort, you need to drive (bear in mind $33 / day parking with a garage that fills up about 8:30 am up in the main Beaver Creek resort), or head to free parking, then waddle over in your ski boots to the free shuttle bus to the top, or take a hotel shuttle bus (runs hourly, but not convenient for kids ski school), or take a hotel gondola, which drops you at the base of another gondola from which you have to work your way up / down intermediate to expert slopes to get to the base of the main resort at the Hyatt hotel inside the Beaver Creek resort proper (not good with small kids). We paid for $33 / day parking in the Gerald Ford garage in the resort as then we were independent of a shuttle bus schedule - we were on vacation and wanted to be free of schedules, plans, etc. and didn't want to be at the mercy of an hourly shuttle bus pickup, or not - we're not in college anymore! f you're going to be skiing all day, my personal recommendation would be to get a condo or whatever with the most space for your family as you'll literally just be sleeping there, spending your time skiing.

5. "Resort Charge" - they charge for things that are free anyway and service that were never delivered. Let's also get something else straight, the Westin is a hotel located in the town of Avon, CO outside the actual resort, the actual Beaver Creek resort is about a 10 minute drive up the mountain from the hotel. This hotel bills $28.10 / day as a "resort charge", for which they offer bottled water, shuttle rides to the top of the mountain, wifi, "ski valet", athletic club access, and daily newspaper. Their attitude here really just plain made me mad. The bottled water was labeled "courtesy of SPG" (eg, free to Starwood members as in most hotels, not courtesy of a resort fee), wifi is free anyway if you spend enough nights at Starwood, a free newspaper is pretty standard (though in our case they never delivered a newspaper on any day of our stay), and in close to 800 nights in Starwood hotels in my life I've never seen any hotel charge for access to the gym. With respect to the shuttle, yes, they do have an hourly shuttle, but if you're going to drop your kids in ski school (which we did one day) then this won't work, plus then you have to keep the hourly shuttle schedule in the back of your head and time your activities so you're at the shuttle at the infrequent times when it's actually running (allowing a little extra time to be there early so you don't miss it) - we were on vacation and didn't want to think about schedules, so we drove ourselves, which means we paid another $25 / day (in addition to the "resort charge") to the hotel for valet parking plus $33 / day to the actual Beaver Creek resort for parking on the mountain. At checkout, a front desk manager asked to see my receipts for the $33 / day we paid to the Beaver Creek resort for parking on the mountain (which we had as we paid those by Amex), but still demanded payment for the "resort fee". Oh, I forgot the "ski valet" - the hotel has signs prohibiting you from taking your skis to your room, hence they point you to the ski valet, which means that you stand in line to drop off your things and in the morning can stand in line again to pick up your things. We opted, instead, to leave our things in the back of the rental SUV - much more convenient than taking everything out, checking the stuff, then reversing the process in the morning. Bottom line, we left the hotel at roughly 8 am every day, returned at 5 pm after a full day of family skiing, used no hotel services whatsoever other than valet parking ($25 / day extra) and the stuff that was free anyway given my Starwood status (wifi, water bottles), yet they still demanded $28.10 / day resort fee from us for a various "services" that our family didn't find convenient and never used, bearing in mind that the Westin is a hotel, not a resort, and that the actual Beaver Creek "resort" is 10 minutes away by car. Yes, the Westin does also have an outdoor pool and jacuzzis, however with windchill the outdoor temperature was at times -10 degrees F, so we never used those either. In my experience of literally thousands of hotel stays in my life, most hotels seek a compromise, want a guest to walk away happy. These folks wanted their $28.10 / day, whether or not they had delivered any of the services associated with the fee. At checkout, the front desk manager said she had no authority to waive the fee (or say waive parking charges or whatever) and told me that the hotel manager who did have authority was too busy to talk to me, but would call me later. I'm still waiting for that call or e-mail. Westin will tell you that they mention the "resort fee" at checkin when it's too late to find other accommodations, however that still doesn't change the fact that they're billing for services that were never rendered and that they're attempting to mislead guests by casting themselves as the "resort", when the actual "resort" is a 10 minute drive away.

6. Westin ski rental shop. Just to summarize briefly, it took 2 1/2 hours in/out to rent skis for our family, the level of paperwork, delay, and just plain incompetence was massive. On top of that, my ski boots were too tight (which I told the clerk when she fitted me for boots, but she insisted I take the boots that were too small...) leading to near-frostbite (I had to go to a first aid station at the top of the mountain, who immediately pointed to the fact that the boots were too small). After swapping out boots (more paperwork, only 45 minutes to do that), the cold / frostbite issue was resolved with proper sized boots. One thing that you notice here is that they want your money while demanding that you sign away all liability, even for things that are their fault. My boot was too small and tight, I haggled with the clerk but she refused to give me a larger boot, then I had issues with cold / near frostbite (my feet were grey, no sensation, pretty strong pain as they warmed up over 20 minutes) owing to the fact that she fitted me with a boot that's too small. The store per the waivers they make you sign take no responsibility for this. Also, you need to weigh yourself before going to the store - an accurate weight is essential to proper setting of the safety release on the ski bindings, however the store doesn't have scales, as the clerk explained, as the store doesn't want to take legal liability for inaccurate readings. So, instead, you have to guess at and attempt approximately to remember your weight, meaning that likely you don't get an accurate safety release setting on the bindings - they're playing with your safety to attempt to wash their hands of any liability, not good. Westin will likely tell you that they're not responsible for the store, it belongs to a sub-contractor (standard legal scheme to isolate liability into sub-entities).

7. Starwood SPG benefits do not apply at this hotel. I spend 75+ nights / year at Starwood hotels, but the standard array of benefits do not apply at this hotel (free wifi, free newspaper and bottled water, at least 4 pm late checkout, "my 24 benefit", room upgrade, etc.). A clerk at the front desk told me point blank, to my face, that they don't honor Starwood status benefits in this property. I asked 2 more times just to be sure I hadn't misunderstood, same answer all 3 times.

This hotel was not a happy experience - Beaver Creek is an awesome resort, we had a great time skiing as a family, we'll do that again, however I'm pretty sure that we won't ever stay in this hotel again. Particularly in light of the fact that I've spent close 800 paid nights at Starwood hotels and spend in the $25 - 35,000 range / year at Starwood hotels, I was shocked by their attitude.

Good luck if you stay here!

Room Tip: Ask the square footage and compare with other hotels.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Odessa, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The 549A room is wonderfully located room with full kitchen . There were hearing problems while I was there. But the accommodations were excellent. I personally tonight the bed was too shift but my wife liked it.

Room Tip: Pick your view go for fifth floor and up
Green Features: Excellent job I don't want to use 50 characters to say this bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Comfortable hotel. Ski valleys were plesent and helpful. Convenient ski rental adjacent to hotel. The ski boots are held inside on the first floor do you can walk downstairs in shoes get your ski boots then walk outside to get your skis from the valet, step onto ga gondola that takes you to the bottom of the mountain.
Every one was most accommodating to my (well behaved) dog. You get a dog bed and dog bowls in the room! She loved it!! The doormen were very friendly holding all doors open to both of us as we went to the "dog walk" zone. She is looking forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2015
We are thrilled to hear how much you and your dog enjoyed our resort. Our ski valet team are pleased to know their services made such an impact on your experience and we all look forward to welcoming you and your four legged friend back soon!

Been to Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!