“If you are a free spirit and love the ocean, freediving is a MUST for you!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Town Freediving

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 8 Attractions in Muizenberg
Type: Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Cape Town is the perfect place to explore the incredible world below the waves without the need for artificial breathing devices! Cape Town offers an incredible mix of freediving opportunities from seal and shark fun freedives to depth training in freshwater lakes and even some world-class swimming pools. We are a professional Pure Apnea certified dive centre and provide a full range of courses.
London, United Kingdom
“If you are a free spirit and love the ocean, freediving is a MUST for you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Loving the ocean and adventure diving without any scuba gear?
Have always wanted to be able to dive just that little bit longer…just that little bit deeper?
Freediving is your thing and Cape Town Freediving is the right place to learn.
Excellent training with scientific information and proven techniques to expand breath hold (static apnea) as well as depth diving and equalisation.
No gear needed, Cape Town Freediving are fully fitted out for all sizes male & female and so just bring yourself a whole lot of enthusiasm or even fear…by the end of the 2 day beginner course you will be holding your breath to at least 2 minutes and diving to 14m guaranteed!
Amazing, amazing, amazing!
I always suspected I was supposed to be part of the ocean, now I know it and I can!
Thank you!!

Visited November 2013

Overland Park, Kansas
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I had a blast while earning my level one certification with John. It was fun, safe, and I improved so much using my newly learned techniques. I also joined them on a fun dive with the cow sharks which was unbelievable. John took some cool photos of the day as well which he sent on to me, I thought that was a nice touch. Didn't have time while I was there to do the seal dive but friends of mine loved it. If you love water then this is a must do while in Cape Town.

Visited January 2014
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“No better way to start freediving in Cape Town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

After putting off a freediving course for way too long, I decided to book a spot on one of John Daine's courses. With only four spaces per course I really felt as though I was given the attention needed to make me a competent freediver.

Having done SCUBA diving and some casual freediving I was a bit skeptical at first as to what exactly I'd learn or gain from the course - the answer is a lot! I had a PB of around 1minute 30s for static apnea and on the morning of the course I managed to improve that by a minute. We all met fairly early on a sunny day at Seapoint pool where we sat outside and where taught (both practically and theoretically) how to freedive and how to do it safely. SCUBA did not prepare me at all for the safety aspects learnt - as soon as we had learn't the theory, we headed for the pool.

The pool session was amazing - after the kit up and breathe up, the first few kicks underwater with freediving fins was a whole new world (with John by your side to ensure correct technique). Duck dives were followed by rescue methods in the deep pool and soon after we ended our day. The next day we went to Blue Rock quarry for our deep dives and the rest of the practical training - this was the most challenging, but also the most exciting and rewarding part. All our training came down to a 15m freedive.

With the course over, the group went on to do an open water dive with the seals.

Although Pure Apnea may be a new freediving organisation, their course was run very professionally and all the material you need was provided and very detailed. In less than a week my certification was in the post box. What makes Pure Apnea great is that you can see they are dedicated to producing freedivers that will be competent and competitive if they so choose and no corners are cut in the training. John was very approachable and being a South African record holding freediver himself, he is dedicated to freediving and knowledgeable because of his personal experience.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“The most amazing experience - EVER!! I'm addicted!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

First I thought this was going to be really difficult and I probably wouldn't have gone if it wasn't for my friends signing up to learn to free dive.
Holding my breath for more then 20 seconds just seemed impossible and then the prospect of having to dive deeper than the 3-4m I was doing…
BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE!
I managed to hold my breath for 2.01minutes!! CRAZY!! and I can now dive to 14m!!!!
Learning to freedive has changed my whole outlook and experience in the ocean. I can now really enjoy snorkelling - well actually FREEDIVING! Totally feel comfortable in the water and feel part of the ocean and the beautiful inhabitants of this eternal blue. I'm still totally buzzing!
The biggest thank you to John (John Daines) who is the most patient and totally the best teacher ever!
Freediving is my new favourite thing in the world and I cannot wait get back in the water soon.

Visited November 2013