“Unbelievably stunning!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cabanas La Luna

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Cabanas La Luna
You added Cabanas La Luna to your Saves list
Carr. Tulum - Boca Paila km. 6.5 | Quintana Roo, Tulum 77789, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Tulum
Switzerland
“Unbelievably stunning!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We booked our 10 day vacation in Tulum after seeing photos of the beach taken by a good friend who lives in the area. I was a bit nervous about how my family would cope with the eco side...no TV and no AC but it was not an issue at all! We arrived in the evening, beware of the speed bumps on the way into Tulum, they are like something form the Paris Dakar Rally, we were so happy our car was rented and we wouldn`t have to worry about damage to suspension when you didn`t see the signs in time! Checked into our cabana , the Marakesh, gorgeous groovy bohemian decoration, spacious and clean. We arrived on barbeque night which was exquisite ! I come from South Africa and we are BBQ gourmets, this is one of the best I have ever had! It was dark when we arrived and the following morning be woke up to the fact that we were on the best beach I have ever seen, I have been to beaches all over the world but I have never seen sand so white and such a perfectly turquoise sea in my life. I am a runner and I run early before the famiyl is awake and at 7am before the cleaners start you see the real beach, at Easter we were in Thailand, known for it`s beaches but at 7am I saw cans,nappies and car batteries etc before the cleaners arrived! In Tulum , the only thing the cleaners had to do was remove a bit of seaweed and put out the beach chairs ! I ran 5km one morning and the beach still stretched out forever in front of me. Magical! The other thing is that Tulum is known as a major turtle breeding ground and every morning I saw between 15 and 20 tracks of female turtles coming up to lay their eggs. At night the hotel security guards let us know when there was a hatching about to take place and gave us red filters for our torches and we watched a nest of dozens of baby turtles hatch and helped to carry them to the sea, another night we watched a huge female laying eggs just in front of the hotel! The lack of TV was wonderful and the lack of AC was not a problem at all. The windows all have mosquito mesh so you have the sea breeze as well as electric fans over the beds and standing ones in the room. The water pressure in the shower is pretty weak but the water is hot and small price to pay for being in paradise! Breakfast is fantastic and the wonderful manageress and her staff are amazing! I would classify Tulum as Bohemian Chic, every hotel on the beach has a restaurant with something different, vegan food, sushi, Barbecue , seafood grills etc. You can do Yoga on the beach in exchange for a donation etc The town of Tulum is 10 minutes drive and has lots of great unusual restaurants. Many people are hesitant about vacationing in Mexico because they are worried about security.. we felt completely safe, the main road road into Tulum has a security checkpoint with armed guards and we walked around at night etc in complete confidence , even in the town of Tulum we were completely relaxed, had great meals and made friends with loads of very friendly stray dogs that my kids wanted to adopt immediately! The area has a lot of attractions besides the beach, ruins, great caves, diving on the coral reefs, fishing , golf etc. If you are any doubt , google Tulum beaches and know that no photo does it justice!!! Add to that the wonderful service and atmosphere of Cabanas la Luna and you have a magical holiday that is out of the ordinary!!!

Room Tip: Marakesh is 20 metres from the beach and sleeps 4, really good for families!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Wow! We truly appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review! A lot of guests who stay with us have the same initial concerns about no A/C and no TV, but we are thrilled to hear it did not end up being a problem for your family. Sounds like you kept yourself busy without hesitation and even were lucky enough to experience the sea turtles! Everything you have mentioned in this review is very accurate. Thanks again for taking the time to write it. We hope it settles questions others might have about visiting Tulum and choosing Cabanas La Luna. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
Bartlett, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were so surprised at how much we loved this place!We did not want to leave!
My wife and I stayed at Cabanas La Luna for 5 days in early September 2013 . Tulum beach is a magical place and La Luna Cabanas is one of its part. It was an incredible experience. Cement jungles which are Secrets Resorts,Iberostar Resorts,Dreams Resorts this is not, which is exactly why we chose La Luna for us beach getaway. I repeat once more- La Luna Cabanas is the antithesis of a typical, sterile, mass hotel complex. This is the place to slow down, chill out and get back in touch with yourself and with Mother Nature. The outside of the cabanas each have their own brilliant tropical color, like jewels among the palm trees We had a fabulous 5 days in Marrakech room enjoying the adventure and peacefulness of La Luna
right on the beach, big beautiful and private clean room with a 2 beds and a cute little bathroom
in the middle of the room. Marrakech room has a huge shaded balcony with seats and hammock and a great view of the turquoise Caribbean Sea through the palm trees.
The beach was beautiful and we were always alone at the time we were there. EVEN ONE DAY a tropical stormy weather with heavy rain will not interfere with us a wonderful stay. The managers are wonderful!!!. All of the other staff were great too! Always helpful.They consistently make our stay comfortable and check with us often to see if there is anything we might need.The food was fantastic - fresh produce and cooked with a lot of love and care. We cannot wait to go back and stay longer next time. Thanks guys!!!!

Room Tip: right on the beach
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review! You have described well what we try to achieve here... a slow paced, relaxing getaway much softer than the larger resorts. I am glad to hear our staff was accommodating and helped your stay to be extra special. We are also happy that you enjoyed Marrakech, one of our larger beachfront cabanas and we thank you for sharing pictures for others to see. I noticed that you have already booked your next stay with us and so we are quite excited to welcome you back soon!
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I needed a long weekend for some rest and relaxation, so I arranged through Cabanas La Luna to be picked up / dropped off at the airport and to stay Wednesday - Sunday. I didn't rent a car, which eliminated one hassle. I stayed in Marrakech, which was very nice and had a great view. I walked down to Yoga Shala everyday for yoga, ate either at Restaurant Las Estrellas or at a place on the beach within a short walk, and had a really nice time. Very very relaxing, which is just what I was looking for.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your nice review. We are happy to hear we were able to help you have a long relaxing weekend with us. Using our preferred transfer service does take a lot of the stress out of getting to us, and I am happy that it worked so well for you, and that you enjoyed all our hotel and restaurant had to offer. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Gillette, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at Cabanas La Luna for 7 days in early August. First, we were very surprised by the area. It was filled with dread-locked Yoga type people who didn't always feel clothes were needed. (just not what we were expecting) Second, we went in August, like I mentioned before, and our room had no A/C and just a fan. It was in the 90s during the day and only dropped into the 80s at night so we were uncomfortably hot the whole week and didn't get a lot of sleep. Dont get me wrong, I like hot weather, and I realize we were in Mexico, but humidity on top of it and being unable to escape it, made it almost unbearable. We had to take cold showers to be somewhat comfortable for a short period of time during the week. Other rooms had A/C and I would suggest one of those instead!! (we stayed in Marco Polo's journey room). The area is also more expensive than other areas in riviera maya. If you are interested in being in an area that caters to a vegan menu and yoga, then this is the place for you! The service and staff at La Luna was spectacular. And the continental breakfast was one of the highlights of our day. The restaurant was amazing also! This hotel is also an Eco-hotel meaning no flushing TP down the toilet. Not a big deal, just a surprise. I think all the hotels in the area were the same. This hotel area was about 7km from the town of Tulum and we preferred to go to town for dinner every night. A cab cost 100 pesos or more each way, so thankfully we had our own car. The grounds at La Luna were beautiful and the beach was a beautiful Caribean escape. The rooms were very nice, clean and unique. The lack of A/C made it a sour experience. And for $175-180/night I was expecting a lot more. Next time we plan on staying in Playa Del Carmen instead of Tulum. It is more of what we were expecting.

Room Tip: Make sure the room has A/C
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for your honest review. We are sorry to hear that your stay at La Luna was not what you were hoping for. August is one of the warmer months to visit, and I am sorry the fan did not work for you. We now have a few additional fans that can be added to any of our rooms when guests are having troubles with the heat. We do have air conditioning in Jungle Penthouse and Garden Suite, as well as the 2 ground floor rooms in Villa Zanzibar. In the summer months, the beachfront cabanas are a little better as they receive a direct breeze from the ocean. As for the eco-friendly part about the flushing of toilet paper, you are correct. Because of the septic system, nowhere in this region allows tissue to be flushed. There are closed bins provided and our housekeeping cleans out the bins daily. Even though you didn't receive what you expected, we are happy to hear that despite this, you enjoyed our staff, as well as our restaurant. We hope that if you come to Tulum again, that you will stop by for a drink or a nice dinner.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

La Luna is definately a place that we will visit as often as we can! It was me, my husband, and my 2 boys, 9 and 6. We stayed in the Garden Suite, which was beautiful and absolutely perfect for our family! The staff was amazing, friendly and so helpful! My boys even loved talking with them. They make you feel like family. Once you check in, they know who you are and what cabana you're in. I'm so happy we found this place!!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking a time to write a review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed one our our family style garden cabanas, Garden Suite. Owners are family orientated and wanted to have a special place for when we have guests that prefer such a cabana. We are thrilled that this worked for you. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that your children had a wonderful time. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We recently rented out all of La Luna for our wedding. We had 32 guests for 4 days and everyone had a blast. Seriously, "best wedding ever!" was the mantra of our friends.

PROS:
-the food is fantastic. Everything on the menu was delicious. The prices were reasonable.
-the service was extremely accommodating and friendly. In particular, Kuami and Ruben did a great job. Even when there was a mixup, they were responsive and tried to make things right. Our wedding coordinator, Fabiola was also very nice despite still seeming to come to grips w/ her new role. I'm sure she'll be excellent once she gets the hang of things.
-wedding service package: the weather held out and everything was beautiful. Open bar + beach side wedding = family and friends will be referencing YOUR wedding as the best they'd ever been to.
-the proximity of the rooms to the beach is perfect and makes for some superb lazy beach time; popping back to your room to grab a hammock nap and a snack.
-location: a short cab ride to ruins, cenote diving/scuba, and town to pick up groceries for the room.

CONS
-if you go w/ a wedding package, ASK ABOUT ALL THE FEES. Even though we reserved this package 9 months earlier we were still surprised w/ a $350 "beach party fee" when we arrived. There was no way to say no, as this is essentially the local authorities threatening to shut down your wedding if you don't pay them. Still, we should have been told about this upfront seeing as this fee had been in effect for over a year. Perhaps it was just a slip-up, but it serves as a reminder to ask about every detail.
-expect little issues along the way. Nothing big, just things like miscommunication on exactly what food was ordered or when payment is due. If you expect hiccups, you'll be much less stressed when they inevitably happen.
-while this doesn't really apply to La Luna, we highly recommend NOT using Cancun Shuttle to get to/from the airport. They changed a pickup time on our guests and never confirmed with me. We had to shell out money at 630am for 3 separate cabs and some of our guests almost missed their flight. You can save some money going with them, but they screw you over and then don't even give your money back.

Warning: if you do rent out the place for a wedding, tell your guests that they owe 100% of the room fees BEFORE they even get there. Typically, you'd pay a down payment and pay off the balance when you check out, but for La Luna you are required to pay everything before you even get there. If you rent out the place, expect booking headaches as this takes a while to sort out.

In summary, we loved Cabanas La Luna. We just hope this review serves as a guide on how future guests can avoid some of our slip-ups and thus have an even better time!

Thanks for a great time, La Luna! We'll never forget it.

Room Tip: It gets a tad hot in the summer w/o air conditioning. (no surprise there)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are happy that you had such a wonderful time at La Luna for your wedding. We are sorry to hear you had a few issues with your stay, but it sounds like most of them were worked out. We do not have an onsite wedding planner, but we do offer recommendations to our inquiring brides. We do apologize about the miscommunication regarding the permit for the beach wedding required by the Municipal. The planners are supposed to share this information, but since hearing about this, we have added the information to our wedding package so that all inquiring are aware of the fee. We are sorry to hear about the problem with the transfer company. We have a separate company that we work with and we are happy to refer them to anyone who inquires.

As for the reservations of groups, this can be tricky. We recommend each guest email us directly for their accommodations. We require a 50% deposit to secure the booking with the balance due 2 weeks prior to check in. This can happen smoothly if there are no changes to the bookings, but we know these things come up and we do our best to accommodate. We appreciate your patience in that regard. Again, thank you for your kind review. We hope to welcome you back for many years to come!
Augsburg, Bayern, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

we spent 6 days at cabanas la luna in august and we enjoyed every minute of it. we stayed in the cabana "marrakesh", which i can highly recommend. the rooms are clean, nicely decorated, and the ocean view from the spacious balcony is breathtaking.
the staff are very nice and helpful, the manager edmonda speaks english, spanish, dutch and german, maybe also french and italian, who knows :-)
and the food at the restaurant "las estrellas" is excellent.
all in all it's maybe a bit on the pricey side, but in retrospect it's really all worth it, we think.
there is no airconditioning in most rooms, but they provide ceiling fans and also extra standing fans, which we enjoyed at night. also, the breeze from the sea is cooling. the water pressure in the shower is pretty low, but hey, you're in mexico, right at the sea. also, the water in the shower and from the taps is slightly salty, which takes a bit getting used to at first, but they're an eco-friendly hotel and this seems to be some kind of recycled seawater or something? I don't know, didn't bother us much.
a vacation at cabanas la luna is a dream come true and we hadn't imagined it as beautiful beforehand as it turned actually out to be. we absolutely loved it. thank you for a wonderful stay for the whole family.

Room Tip: we stayed in "marrakesh" which sleeps for in two double beds. we loved it, we thought it w...

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your kind review! You are quite right, manager Edmonda is something special and we are so happy that she has joined our staff. Your review is accurate and we appreciate you taking the time to write it. Our showers are recycled seawater as you mentioned. It does go through a filtering process so it is not as salty as if you are taking an dip in the ocean. Thanks again for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Been to Cabanas La Luna? Share your experiences!