“Our Perfect Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cabanas La Luna

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Cabanas La Luna
Carr. Tulum - Boca Paila km. 6.5 | Quintana Roo, Tulum 77789, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 75 hotels in Tulum
London
“Our Perfect Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Just spent a week at Cabanas La Luna, in Marrakech and it was our slice of heaven. We read other peoples positive reviews, so our expectations were set pretty high. We loved our stay and delighted our expectations were exceeded. The hotel has a wonderful charm to it, the staff are attentive and diligent, the rooms were spotless, spacious and comfortable. The food was good, breakfast - yum yum. The beach was absolutely stunning. We were sad to leave and even sadder we are wearing socks again.

Thank you all at La Luna for a truly memorable stay

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

458 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
St. Helena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We truly loved this colorful little hotel, which speaks to all the best parts of what is Tulum, Mexico. If you want 5 star resorts and big restaurants and room service then head back to Cancun, but if you want to completely check out for a few days and do nothing but float in the sea, listen to the palm trees rustle and see the occasional sea turtle then this is the spot to be in. The rooms are not large because you should only be in them when you're ready to call it a night. The restaurant is outstanding for it's simple but delicious and perfectly spiced fare and the bar meets every need.

This is such a romantic spot. So far removed from our every day life. Rooms painted in bright colors with celestial accents, step straight out onto the beach and stay put or walk for miles. Your hosts make you feel at home but leave you be. We simply loved it and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The beach at Tulum is stunning, and Cabanas la Luna offers the perfect vantage point to enjoy its white sands and warm seas. Nevertheless, we weren't as enthusiastic about the hotel as many reviewers seem to be, and given the choice I'd have marked it as being somewhere between average (3 stars) and very good (4 stars). The main reason is that the cabanas themselves are pretty cramped and the way they're crammed in alongside each other affords little privacy. In addition, the water in the shower is fairly sulphurous and the lighting inside each cabana is dim, so bring your own light if you're planning on reading in bed at night.

On the other hand, the bright colours of the cabanas make for a lively setting, and the bed was very comfortable. All in all, decent accommodation with limitations.

The team who manage the Cabanas are friendly, and the welcome is warm, but there were occasions when drinks or food orders were messed up, so efficiency could be tightened up a bit. The food and drink served was pretty bland, to be honest – but then so was a lot of the food we ate in the Yucatan.

Room Tip: Casa Blanca has a little bit more room than some of the one-bed cabanas, but it's also the only...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I spent the first few days of a month-long adventure at Cabanas La Luna, and would not have had it any other way!

From the moment I arrived, I felt taken care of. Kuamy was particularly friendly and helpful. He was happy to answer any questions I had about places to go, how to get around, etc. I found all the staff I encountered at the hotel and the restaurant to be very kind and accommodating.

I visited Tulum in early October, during low season. There were at least 3 other groups staying at the hotel, and though the cabanas are situated fairly close together, I was never disturbed by other visitors.

I stayed in "Casa Blanca," which is an adorable cabana that is the perfect size for 1-2 people. The large bed is comfortable, with soft linens, and is covered by a more than adequate mosquito net. There are soft, large towels designated for bath and beach. The room is decorated in bright colors, and feels very inviting--I felt at home immediately.

The sink and shower in the room having running hot water 24/7--though it is salt water. They do provide a tank of fresh drinking water for the room--very convenient since the nearest store is a 5-10 minute drive away, in the town of Tulum. The electricity at Cabanas La Luna is available 24/7. As I understand it, the beach side cabanas in Tulum derive their electricity via generators, and not all offer 24/7 electricity.

Casa Blanca has a small covered porch with a lovely wooden table and stools, and of course, a hammock. The restaurant staff will bring breakfast to you on your porch at your request. (There is a complimentary breakfast consisting of bread with spreads, fresh fruit, and coffee--very delicious).

The door locks securely, and there is a safe mounted to a shelf in the room as well.

During the sometimes torrential rains that happen during this part of the year, water and sand do get blown under the door of the cabana, but the rug in front of the door helps to contain it. The hotel staff are great at keeping the floor of the room as well as the porch swept clean of sand. There is a stone bowl of water set in front of the porch for rinsing your feet before entering the cabana.

Plenty of windows with curtains and wooden shades allow lots of sunshine to come through, but the room still feels very private.

A ceiling fan situated above the bed, and a tall oscillating floor fan keep the room adequately cooled, at least in October.

There is another large cabana situated upstairs from Casa Blanca. I could at times hear chairs moving and people walking over the floor, but I did not find it bothersome.

The beautiful white sands beach is just a few meters in front of the cabanas, and is equipped with comfy lounge chairs, umbrellas, tables, a volley ball net, and a swing. I felt like I had the beach to myself--there were very few other people there.

The restaurant at Cabanas La Luna is absolutely superb. I ate dinner and occasionally lunch there for 3 days and was happily satisfied each time. Creative, local and fresh foods beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. I would consider the menu prices as appropriate given the quality of the food and the portion sizes. Not to mention it's incredibly convenient, being right next to the hotel.

I would definitely stay at Cabanas La Luna again, should I find myself on another trip to Tulum.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Washington D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

"Welcome to Paradise" was the first thing Kwamy told us when we arrived. We had left early morning from Washington D.C. and were exhausted of traveling all day. Plane/Bus from Cancun to Playa del Carmen, Getting lost in Playa to take another bus to Tulum under the rain, cab from Tulum to Cabanas la Luna. When we arrived we felt as if we had been lifted and were seriously in paradise. We immediately decided to stay another night. As mentioned earlier we were warmly greeted by the friendliest face of the cabanas, Kwamy, who really made us feel completely comfortable and at home. Our first night was in the Robinson Crusoe Cabana which is the smallest one but is literally on the beach. It is very charming, very small, the bathroom is pretty much in the bedroom (no full wall separating it) so be mindful and open about it :)

The rest is really hard to describe but i do remember the waves putting us to sleep.
The Second and Third night we stayed in the Garden Suite, which is a lot bigger and located right under the restaurant's kitchen. It is probably the most open room as it is in the middle of everything and has windows all around. but the cool part is nobody can really see in. Before moving to this room we didnt realize it was there. there is a charming area behind the room where you have a hamac (there are hamacs everywhere which are tight). The Bathroom on this one is secluded and is a little more user friendly. This room has aircon a king size bed which is very comfortable and a bunk bed which we did not need. The Downside about this room is that you hear alot of what is going on upstairs during the day. But during the morning and night (the important times) you do not hear much of anything.
Whats great about these cabanas is that everything feels so private, all very subtly separated by greenery which is awesome.
The food is very tasty, breakfast is included in the morning, (toast, fruit plate, coffee, fresh orange juice!) Get the huevos rancheros. Dinner was good, the night staff is very accomodating , unfortunately not alot of options but the quality is top notch, the baked grouper and fresh vegetables out of this world. Drinks are strong :)
For the rest we will let you picture it, its the best part of the beach, you feel like nobody is there during the day, sand is softest you will ever find, sun is shining and the service is more than friendly, there are night security guards who are in orange that will help you out if you need something after hours.

All in all we recommend this place to anyone and do it soon, they are building an airport in Tulum, and you might see some of the Cancun and Playa del Carmen crowd which is one of the main reasons why we decided to come down here to get away from it. If you have a chance head downtown on one of the nights and enjoy the chill nightlife there, good times and thank you to the friendly staff who made things happen just right :)

Room Tip: Get at least one night in a beach Cabana --> Robinson Crusoe Rent Bikes at the Playa Azul, 12...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Leander, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I loved Cabanas La Luna... I found it on this site, and they were right...it is FABULOUS. Not only is it located on a fantastically beautiful white sand beach with luminous turquoise waters, but the rooms are decorated in a fanciful, warm, and inviting manner. If I could live there, I would. The staff are simply lovely individuals, and I can only surmise it is their lovely surroundings that makes them so absolutely pleasant to encounter. Thank you for a fantastic 3-day vacation that felt like 2 weeks. :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Providence
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed with my son over the Thanksgiving holiday week. We stayed in the Captain Dale quarters, which is the closest room to the beach. The staff is very kind and attentive and our room was always very clean. Unfortunately, the loft in the room was quite a bit narrower than we thought and was not necessarily appropriate for my 19 year old son. The house margaritas are insanely good and the prices are fair. Because of the holiday week and the beginning of high season, we paid top dollar for the room and I had a couple of issues - firstly, the bathroom in Captain Dale's Quarters is not appropriate for the room itself. The shower is not enclosed whatsoever and there is no privacy - in other words, someone cannot use the sink while you use the shower. There are 3 beds in the room so one would assume that at least 2-3 people would be sleeping there. The water, because of the lack of enclosure, then runs all over the bathroom floor, causing a slippery condition. Secondly, the dinner menu was absolutely tiny - I believe I was presented with only 4 or 5 dinner entree options and as a result, we did not eat there but once. Lastly, I think that this was the only hotel on the *very* dark road not to offer flashlights to its patrons. When I asked for one, I got a response that bordered on them seeming offended that I ask, despite the local population telling me that it was the norm. With the tiny dinner menu, it is very unlikely that guests will eat at the restaurant every night, so guests will, and should, try other eateries. Breakfast and lunch options were much more abundant and the food was quite good and fresh.

Room Tip: I would not choose Captain Dale's Quarters again because of the loft and the bathroom. Other th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cabanas La Luna? Share your experiences!