“Simple cabanas on a white, spotless beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas

Save Saved
You added Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas to your Saves list
Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   Carretera Tulum, Boca Paila Km. 6.5 | Quintana Roo, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #41 of 65 Specialty lodging in Tulum
Paris, France
“Simple cabanas on a white, spotless beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I've initially planned to stay at one of other properties around but everything was fully booked, so I end up there - a small hotel with 10-15 rooms or so. Nothing extravagant: natural aircondition (I.e. wind from the ocean), suspended bed, so better do not move too much when you sleep but beautiful view and spotless white sand and palms - a very easy going place and excellent setting for a two days weekend away from work.
Only drawback is the absence of bikes, so if you wish, you need to rent them and hence pay from one of other hotels nearby.

Room Tip: Avoid garden level to enjoy ocean view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Even though we enjoyed our stay I don't think we would return to this hotel.
I've been to Tulum before back in 2000 when the accommodation options were just a few cabanas by the beach with no electricity or drinking water. Nowadays the options are endless and even though the majority of the hotels are small (from 10 to 28 rooms) you can choose from very rustic beach cabanas (wood walls and to more comfortable, traditional or hippie chic accommodations.
Our first hotel choices - based on recommendations, reviews and the Mexico Desconocido magazine - were Be Tulum, Ahau, Encantada and Ana y Jose but unfortunately all these were sold out. We knew wanted to stay in a boutique style hotel - not a big all inclusive fancy hotel - with rustic cabanas by the beach. Zulum was advertised in the Mexico Desconocido magazine and based on their website and reviews it seemed like a cute rustic type hotel. Please don't take me wrong, I like rustic and I've experienced it many times but this is NOT the RIGHT kind of rustic. I was aware that the hotel had hanging beds, no A/C and you had to take a shower and brush your teeths with salt water and that wasn't a problem.
When we walked into our room we realized this was not what we had in mind... we were given one of the third floor (top floor) cabanas, #18, overlooking the jungle (jungle view) with a huge window above the bed, with no drapes/black out and the mid day/afternoon sun shining strongly inside the room and right on top of your head! In addition, the palm leaf roof had no insulation of any kind. The No A/C was fine with me but not in these conditions. There was no ceiling fan but a small floor fan and thanks god for this one because otherwise we would sleep in sweat. In the afternoon after taking a shower we had to get dressed in front of the fan as otherwise we would be completely wet in sweat and I am not exagerating! The room felt like a sauna. In addition, there wasn't any kind of chair or somewhere to sit other than the bed, no nightstand, nowhere to put your clothes (just a small hanging branch with a couple of hangers), nowhere to put your toiletries nor to hang the clean or wet towels in the bathroom. Plus, the bed sheets were stained and the pillows and comforter looked so nasty that my husband threw them on the floor.
Furthermore we couldn't sleep much as we were planning... you could hear everything from the room next door even when going to the bathroom as the bathrooms are completely open and the wall that separates de rooms is not fully sealed all the way up to the ceiling, plus they had kids so at 7am they were up. There was no do not disturb sign to hang on the door so we were woken up at 9:30am by the housekeeper.
The location is perfect and the beach is AMAZING but you'll get this by staying at any other beach hotel in Tulum. While walking by the beach we had the opportunity to check out other hotels and we even experience some of them - went for an afternoon bite & drinks at Be Tulum, breakfast at Ahau and we had lunch and spent the day sipping rose wine at Ana & Jose's Beach Club - and we've agreed that our hotel was definitely the worst.
Staff was friendly but very incompetent - the recepcionist who we asked at check in to rent 2 bikes for us for the next day told us she couldn't find any as everybody was sold out of bikes and while talking to the other receptionist the next day she told us that was very strange as it was low season. I asked her to please make some calls and find some for us but she didn't know who to call - note there are tons of bike rental places in Tulum but they didn't have a directory of any sort - she ended up walking to the third hotel next door, Playa Azul and they had tons of bikes. At this point it was already late in the evening and we were leaving the next day so we didn't rent them. This was very disappointing for us as we only stayed 2 nights.
In addition, they don't have a land line at the reception so when our transportation needed to call us to confirm our pick up time they couldn't get in touch with anybody at the hotel as the phone provided is a personal cell phone from one of the receptionists.
The food at the restaurant on the terrace was incredible! We had sushi - the lobster roll - which was amazing, the ceviche, tacos de arrachera, caldo de mariscos, shrimp tacos and shrimp quesadillas and everything was delicious but extremely pricey in comparison to other nice restaurants at better hotels!
Breakfast was included in our nightly rate and they told us we could order it to the room or to the restaurant terrace which we did and it was a disgrace! The coffee even though it was brought in a thermos it was cold. No milk was brought with it and the toast was hard as a rock, cold and tasted weird. Next day we went for breakfast at Ahau Hotel and it was delicious! For the whole breakfast which included fresh fruit drinks, coffee, omelet and eggs benedict we paid the same as the extra we had to pay for the scrambled eggs at Zulum as our breakfast was continental!
On our last day we had some drinks at the beach and the bar had no ice and it was just 1pm and 34 C degrees!
For the price paid there are definitely better options!
In addition to the options mentioned above I would recommend Villa Las Estrellas, Cabanas Tulum, The Beach Tulum, La Luna, Playa Azul and Las Ranitas all located on the same beach stretch.

Room Tip: If you still want to stay here choose an ocean front cabana so you have some ocean breeze and your r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
warsaw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Tulum by the beach is a quaint village without highrise hotels, without Trump towers and Hyats.. Only bungalows set up in the beach-side gardens. Zulum consists of very back-to-nature, eco, rustic bungalows at the most beautiful and wide white sandy beach. Every detail seemed to be well designed. The water in the stones-lined wash basin runs from the conch shell. The bed is a floating bed hanging on the ropes so getting in and out took some practice. Those prone to sea sickness should take a Dramamine supply. Also the OPEN toilet took some getting used to. It is separeted from the rest of the room only by a partial and low partition. Turn around hon, I just have to dump the load.
The staff of the hotel is very pleasant and hospitable. Pictures you see on the website are true and without any Photoshop makeup.
If only they had AC in the rooms and the price was a bit more reasonable, I would probably rate it excellent.

Room Tip: beach front bugalows give you the feeling of sleeping right on the beach
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I had my wedding here in march and was more than pleased with so many things! The rooms were rustic but exactly was I had wanted, and what they advertised. Looks exactly like pictures. The hotel had so many options of places to hang out and eat or drink! Very impressed with the service of the workers they really catered to every single one of my needs. Also they gave my whole wedding party upgraded rooms because they weren't being used. These are the things that keep people coming back! The beach at Zulum is one of the bests in all of tulum! Be careful of other hotels that have rocky beaches or seaweed everywhere. The view was amazing and best was perfection. The showers and sink water is salt water like others say but so is everywhere and you can't tell a difference. We didn't find on bug in our room they still give you the mosquito nets anyway! The customer service here is one like no other! Very impressed! Exactly what I wanted and I visioned for my wedding. The only con I would say is the food is a little pricey for breakfast and meals next door or any of the other restaurants are a little more reasonable and they never tell you about the drink deals you have to ask for them 2x1 otherwise they will charge u double. I would recommend to try the coconut fish it was delicious!

Great job to the staff! I would 100% recommend Zulum and return anytime!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

not sure if I would return to this hotel but definitely enjoyed my stay. things are a bit disorganized and they are never really sure if they will have availability. rates are also somewhat negotiable. we ended up getting a room for a night when they were theoretically fully booked, while my friends got their stuff thrown out of the room as they messed their reservation system and claimed they were full.

location is fine but not better than anywhere else in tulum. the beach is phenomenal but just like all the other hotels.

staff was friendly and the food was good. I would just stay you have go there in a certain rustic mood as rooms have no AC and it can get quite hot at night. you need to sleep with mosquito nets around the bed as the rooms are open. shower dos not have much pressure and there is not always hot water.

I had a great stay but for US$220 a night I wonder if there are slightly more comfortable options in Tuum

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This place was truly awesome. Beautiful rustic setting on a perfect beach with loads of little details complementing the overall vibe. But it was the atmosphere of the place that topped it off. The staff are friendly and welcoming.

The electricity was no worse than in any of the neighbouring resorts or towns, and the shower is slightly salty but that's all part of the eco experience.

It was reasonably low season but still plenty going on, with the owners not shy of pointing out a party or two nearby!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Well located rustic cabanas. The accommodations are quite basic: salt water shower, limited electricity at night but decently comfortable hanging bed. I would argue that if you are looking for basic eco-chic accommodations you could find better value in Tulum.

Staff is excellent and the food at the restaurant is affordable and delicious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas? Share your experiences!