“It's all about the little things...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas

You added Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas to your Saves list
Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   Carretera Tulum, Boca Paila Km. 6.5 | Quintana Roo, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #66 of 95 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
London, United Kingdom
“It's all about the little things...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This place was truly awesome. Beautiful rustic setting on a perfect beach with loads of little details complementing the overall vibe. But it was the atmosphere of the place that topped it off. The staff are friendly and welcoming.

The electricity was no worse than in any of the neighbouring resorts or towns, and the shower is slightly salty but that's all part of the eco experience.

It was reasonably low season but still plenty going on, with the owners not shy of pointing out a party or two nearby!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Well located rustic cabanas. The accommodations are quite basic: salt water shower, limited electricity at night but decently comfortable hanging bed. I would argue that if you are looking for basic eco-chic accommodations you could find better value in Tulum.

Staff is excellent and the food at the restaurant is affordable and delicious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Came to Tulum for a long weekend form Mexico City and played it by ear. It was low season, so prices were very negotiable. I think that is the key to this place: negotiating the price to where it should be given its rustic elements. Such elements include that their is no a/c (but there are fans in the rooms), the water for bathing is half well water half sea water and the bathrooms don't offer a lot of privacy. That said, people need to remember that Tulúm isn´t Playa del Carmen. You come to Tulúm becuase it is literally on top of the beach and for its isolated feel. At any rate, we were some of only a few guests there, and we were treated very well. Food was decent and drinks were given to us for half price. We didn't settle up the bill until the last day and they were fine with that. The beach right in front is incredible and they have a small pool as well. The rooms are rustic but with some nice touches like organic shampoos and mirror made of slices of tree stump with irregular forms, and we had a beach front balcony with a hammock, bean bag and wooden chair. In the end I would come again as long as the price takes into account that it isn't on the level of the more upscale places that have popped up in recent years.

Room Tip: best to go with abeach front room if you can swing it, on the second floor (or what they would call...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

The hotel is well situated but it needs better services. poor electricity and salty water is ok for a couple of days, but if you are looking for comfort, you have to stay in downtown Tulum. You can go to the and enjoy the beach every day, and get back to your confortable room with good services.

Downtown also offers plenty of good restaurants and old town mexican atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

we stayed here in October 2007. at that time, zulum was still a new property & the view from the second story beach front room was amazing.

but, while we waited forever for breakfast one morning, the cleaning people cleaned our room. when we returned to the room, I saw that I had left my wallet on the coffee table & later realized that money was missing from it. I knew I shouldn't have left it out in the open so I didn't mention it.

then the next day, after the cleaning people had cleaned again, I noticed that a travelers check was missing from my purse that was hidden underneath all my clothes in the closet. I had to report the incident to the police in order to be reimbursed for the missing money.

After reporting the incident, I told management what had happened & they refused to believe that their employee(s) stole from us. they thought I was lying or had lost it myself. I'd never had anything like this happen before & couldn't believe they were ignoring the situation.

overall, I loved the view & actually liked the swinging bed. I do remember the electricity & the shower being spotty, but I
just chalked it up to being "eco-friendly". I definitely didn't feel safe after the theft incidents nor did I want the staff in my room again, but most importantly, I didn't feel like the management truly cared about their guests.

I'm writing this review nearly 5 years later so clearly I'm still annoyed.

• Stayed October 2011

Travelers are raving about these Tulum hotels

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

After staying one night at an overly expensive stuffy, hot, trying to be "hip and groovy" cabana place down the road, Zulum seemed like a paradise. We stayed on the the thrid floor of one of the building closest to the beach. The view was amazing, and the room was cute and cozy, with a thatched roof, hanging beds, hammocks, glass doors, cute little windows, and cool lighting fixtures made out of conch shells. The only downsides to this place were that the shower only had cold water, although this was probly just in our room, and the toilet was right under the showerhead, which was a little strange. Othe than that though, It was great. The beach front bar and loung was nice because you could grab a drink and relax on outdoor couches, hammocks, or under umbrellas on the beach. The staff at Zulum was very friendly and helpful. It's a great place to stay righ on the water, and I recommend it to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel Zulum a total of 8 nights this past November. We had the most wonderful time. The rooms were clean and had a rustic kind of charm. The staff (Jaunito, Mauro, and others) was amazingly helpful and friendly. We enjoyed many meals at the hotel restaurant which featured fresh fish and lobster for reasonable prices. The management (Chris) was also very friendly and accommodating. We are really mellow people who wanted a chill beach vacation and to meet some of the locals. Hotel Zulum was the perfect place for us!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple