“money stolen from our room TWICE!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas

Save Saved
You added Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas to your Saves list
Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   Carretera Tulum, Boca Paila Km. 6.5 | Quintana Roo, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #42 of 68 Specialty lodging in Tulum
Austin, Texas
“money stolen from our room TWICE!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

we stayed here in October 2007. at that time, zulum was still a new property & the view from the second story beach front room was amazing.

but, while we waited forever for breakfast one morning, the cleaning people cleaned our room. when we returned to the room, I saw that I had left my wallet on the coffee table & later realized that money was missing from it. I knew I shouldn't have left it out in the open so I didn't mention it.

then the next day, after the cleaning people had cleaned again, I noticed that a travelers check was missing from my purse that was hidden underneath all my clothes in the closet. I had to report the incident to the police in order to be reimbursed for the missing money.

After reporting the incident, I told management what had happened & they refused to believe that their employee(s) stole from us. they thought I was lying or had lost it myself. I'd never had anything like this happen before & couldn't believe they were ignoring the situation.

overall, I loved the view & actually liked the swinging bed. I do remember the electricity & the shower being spotty, but I
just chalked it up to being "eco-friendly". I definitely didn't feel safe after the theft incidents nor did I want the staff in my room again, but most importantly, I didn't feel like the management truly cared about their guests.

I'm writing this review nearly 5 years later so clearly I'm still annoyed.

• Stayed October 2011

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

After staying one night at an overly expensive stuffy, hot, trying to be "hip and groovy" cabana place down the road, Zulum seemed like a paradise. We stayed on the the thrid floor of one of the building closest to the beach. The view was amazing, and the room was cute and cozy, with a thatched roof, hanging beds, hammocks, glass doors, cute little windows, and cool lighting fixtures made out of conch shells. The only downsides to this place were that the shower only had cold water, although this was probly just in our room, and the toilet was right under the showerhead, which was a little strange. Othe than that though, It was great. The beach front bar and loung was nice because you could grab a drink and relax on outdoor couches, hammocks, or under umbrellas on the beach. The staff at Zulum was very friendly and helpful. It's a great place to stay righ on the water, and I recommend it to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel Zulum a total of 8 nights this past November. We had the most wonderful time. The rooms were clean and had a rustic kind of charm. The staff (Jaunito, Mauro, and others) was amazingly helpful and friendly. We enjoyed many meals at the hotel restaurant which featured fresh fish and lobster for reasonable prices. The management (Chris) was also very friendly and accommodating. We are really mellow people who wanted a chill beach vacation and to meet some of the locals. Hotel Zulum was the perfect place for us!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Kingfield, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We were really lucky to stumble into this place! We spent our first night here on the third floor overlooking the ocean and then decided to spend our entire vacation here. The room itself was small but perfect for the two of us. We loved the rustic and elegant charm.

The service could not have been better. Every single staff member (yes all of them) were awesome. We were treated like guests and as friends.

The food was amazing, the best we had on the beach, by far. The shrimp ceviche was so delicious and there was so much of it, I couldn't finish. It could have easily fed us both. The continental breakfast in the morning was perfect--plates of fresh fruit, homemade bread, handmade fruit juice, and frothy hot coffee.

Even the shampoo and conditioner was fantastic.

I loved this place and if we make it back to Tulum, we will definitely stay here again. In fact, we might go back to Tulum just so we can stay here.

Room Tip: Ask to look at the rooms. They have many different kinds of rooms available depending on your needs...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We spent 7 nights at Hotel Zulum. It was not terrible, but definitely poor. The eco-chic they claim is just cheap. The hotel does need maintenance (beach chairs at the beach bar and on the beach are torn), bed linens and bathroom towels have stains everywhere, the continental breakfast is really nothing special, the restaurant is low quality (as a matter of fact it is always empty), the service is average. Our room was on the 1st floor and the stairs are steep and almost totally dark after 6 pm (very dangerous). The beach is great and the sea beautiful but this does not belong to the Zulum.
It is way too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This place has a very poor maintenance level all over around the structure itself and the rooms too.
There is no attention to details, and the structure is definetly too expensive for what you can get.
The service is very inefficient

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

It’s true that the facilities are basic – no aircon, slightly dodgy electricity and not entirely consistent water supply to the shower. The restaurant is not wonderful either – sheltered from the sea breeze, so both hot and rather full of biting insects, and long waits for the food are less than relaxing. Breakfasts are just about OK.
However, everything else encourages you to embrace these simplicities and revel in Zulum’s character. We were perhaps lucky to get one of the best second floor seafront rooms at a good price, as a walk-in enquiry after a booking elsewhere had mysteriously evaporated. With the balcony doors kept wide open, the breeze maintains a nice temperature in the room, although the rainstorm also came inside one night.
It would also seem that attention has been paid to earlier feedback, as the freshwater pool was perfectly clean and, as far as I could tell, the shower was fresh water also – I find it hard to believe I didn’t notice in four days if it was salty.
The beach is truly outstanding, with comfortable loungers, shady hammocks and attentive service providing margeritas in assorted flavours. We were also impressed that the perfect white sand manages to stay cool however hot the day.
The manager and the proprietor are both on site much of the time and are keen to check how things are going for the guests, which may indicate a constructive sensitivity to past feedback. Overall, Zulum is exactly the kind of place that makes you want to stay in Tulum for ever. Long may it retain its character and resist the development spreading like a plague from Cancun and the coast further north.

Room Tip: Second or third floor seafront rooms seem the best for both view and the breeze.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas? Share your experiences!