“Best part of our Tulum trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Teetotum Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Teetotum Hotel
You added Teetotum Hotel to your Saves list
Avenida Coba Sur Lote #2 | (Road to the Beach Before Chedraui Store), Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #9 of 79 Hotels in Tulum
San Francisco, CA
“Best part of our Tulum trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Teetotum was the highlight of our trip to Tulum. My boyfriend and I stayed there for 3 nights, but returned later in the week for the great food and company. Next time, we're only staying there for the entire week. The architecture and design were flawless, the room clean and comfortable, the food creative and healthy, stemming from the owner's experience as a restauranteur in Philly. The hosts were gracious and all of the guests felt like a big family. The staff was welcoming and friendly. We can't say enough good things about the place. Although the rest of Tulum may seem like an overpriced Eco-Glamour competitive yoga hustle at times, Teetotum rises above and was like a breath of fresh air. We will definitely return and bring our friends and family.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

my family took over every room in this small 4 room hotel. the rooms are big, simple, and beautiful. the hotel is so thoughtfully decorated and every nook and cranny is lovely to look at. we could not have loved the staff and owners more. they were super accomodating, friendly and helpful. the food is delicious, and the happy hour is great. we met lots of super friendly people while staying here, and found it very hard to leave.....i hope to return again someday soon.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

Let's put it this way: we liked Teetotum so much, that after we moved to another place on the beach, we kept coming back for drinks, dinner, and their Sunday movie night. Great people, great drinks (when Cory is mixing), very cute rooms, and very surprisingly good food. I think the one negative review misunderstood what they were coming to.

The style of Teetotum is very much reminiscent of lots of the modern construction in Asia, especially Thailand. Simple, clean surfaces (lots of polished concrete), bright colors, graphic elements, etc. So, it's a boutique as in hip-fun-beach place, not as in Hotel W. They've done a great job with the design, and the whole place is attractive and fun to be in. Rooms are nice and have all the basic amenities you need, but aren't luxurious or anything. It's a beach town in Mexico, after all...

The location is the very next best thing to being on the beach, just around the corner on the road to the beach from town. Especially if you don't want to pay the beach prices, and especially if you're a fan of air-conditioning. They provide free bikes, so you just hop on and explore the whole beach area, the town, etc. It's a nice ride down there. (But wear your hat & sunblock.)

The food really surprised us: they have a cook who has worked professionally in high-end places in the US, and she works in this much smaller facility now that she's moved down to Mexico. Try whatever she's got on special, and know that everything else she makes is going to be rock-solid. (Although I might recommend cooking the pasta for a few minutes less. Minor gripe!) Great free breakfast with your room, or add something extra yummy for $4 or so.

After this, we went down and stayed in a place on the beach, which'll run you at least double or more for anything with fans or air-conditioning. The beach is great to be on, but it can get pretty sweaty and damp down there unless you're in an upscale place, so you may well enjoy Tulum most by staying up here in civilization. If you do, TeeToTum's your place!

(Notes: be sure to go try some of the food down on the beach, whatever you do. Ask around for the "new place", which I think is called Taberno, or something similar. Probably the best food we had in Mexico, in a cute little hut type deal.)

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

My partner and I had a great time at teetotum. We used the free bikes a few times to get to the beach, and taxis were cheap and easily available. We also enjoyed being able to walk to and explore the pueblo. Breakfast was very good, as was happy hour (5-7pm, great margaritas). There were a lot of nice, thoughtful touches - iPod dock in room, free snorkel equipment and bikes, beach towels, bottled water for brushing teeth etc. The beds are a little hard, which was good for me but not so much for my partner. Relaxed and friendly atmosphere too.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I have been visiting Tulum every 2-3 months, for 4 years for business, but mostly for pleasure. In recent times, Teetotum is where you will find me...initially, even I thought that I wouldn't love it because it is not on the beach, as I have stayed at many of the cabana hotels along the beach - but not the case at all. 'Alas, I jump on one of the bikes provided by Teetotum (free of charge) and take a leisurely ride to the beach, or go in the opposite direction to Tulum's pueblo - either way the hotel is conveniently located. Richard, the owner, is amazing, always flexible and accomodating and the staff members are ALWAYS hospitable and friendly and always ready to chat. They have a cute little restaurant lounge, where most spend time when having to contact the real world and check email. The rooms are minimal chic, vibrant colors, very clean, fair price and I have never had an issue with safety. It is lowkey and easy and I have had some of the best sleep at Teetotum. As I write this, it reminds me that I must call Richard to make my next reservation for April...All-in-all, you can't go wrong with Teetotum.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

After a horrendous experience with Delta Airlines, who cancelled our first flight and rescheduled us, effectively shortening our trip by 2 days, my man and I arrived frustrated and exhausted in Tulum, our first trip to Mexico.

Richard, the owner of Teetotum, was amazingly helpful and flexible, considering we'd paid a deposit for the room and were supposed to have been there two days prior, we'd been in communication via email and everything worked out perfectly. (Except having a shorter trip.)

We are also picky eaters- I'm vegan and my boyfriend is allergic to wheat (though not vegan) and I'd asked Richard if he thought the restaruant in the hotel could accomodate us. He said yes, and there was definitely enough to choose from, including super delicious guacamole (and I'm a snob) and, on our second day, a special bean and veggie salad the chef had whipped up with us in mind. So cool!

So, with beer and guac in tow, we explored the hotel- 4 guest rooms, a plunge pool, lounge, rooftop lounge, and cafe. A few very friendly cats and sometimes a very old dog named Booker. Totally relaxing and comfortable, as well as stylish!

The rooms are super clean and comfy, with beach / pool towels in addition to huge bath towels. They provide bottled water for tooth brushing purposes, and there's a little mini fridge that just managed to fit a six-pack.

The hotel is just on the edge of Tulum pueblo, on the road that leads to the beach. They provide free bikes if you want to ride the 3/4 mile or so to the beach, but it's only 40 pesos or so if you want a cab. On your way back, though, make sure to pronounce Teetotum "Tay-toe-toom." Every cab driver thought I was saying Tita Tulum, which was on the opposite side of town...

The only way this place could be better is if it was beachfront, but the fact that it's so close to the town, the supermarket (with ATM), and a stone's throw from the beach makes it pretty darn perfect.

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

My spouse and I recently enjoyed a weekend stay at Teetotum and could not have had a better experience! The hotel is chic and inviting with excellent customer service and hospitality. Richard, the owner, was warm, friendly and knowledgeable and we appreciated the personal service. Emma, one of the do-it-all gals couldn't have been sweeter or more accomodating.

The overall aesthetic was right up our ally -- laid back hip with fun touches and a cool contemporary vibe.

Breakfast and bikes (both included) were immensely enjoyed and appreciated. Lunch was terrific and beer is available for 10 pesos; what a deal!

As we were in town for a special event, we were unable to partake in some of their evening events but had we had been able to, I imagine they would have been as cool as they looked.

Location is ideal for biking to town, ruins and beach.

While there we visited several other hotels where friends were staying and Teetotum was definitely the best by far!

I feel more relaxed just writing about it.

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Teetotum Hotel? Share your experiences!