After two weeks touring around Mexico we booked 5 nights at Dreams to end our honeymoon in Mexico and I've never been more disappointed in any hotel, let alone one which bills itself as a "luxury" resort.
Before I commence on the litany of fail that this hotel managed, I must point out that our maid the vast majority of the waiting/bar staff were helpful and we had no complaints there, particularly Limberth at the lobby bar was excellent and deserves mention. In addition we were in a swim-out block and the standard of accommodation in our room was very good. This should not however tempt you into staying in this hotel if you value a relaxing time with quality food. For brevity I will simply list the issues:
- We booked specifically in an adult-only area and upgraded on arrival to a swim-out room, only to find that two rooms along was a couple with a young (pre-school) child. As we had paid $300 to upgrade to this room, we were NOT impressed. We mentioned this to VIP services and their only concern seemed to be that they were official guests, no apology or refund was offered.
- During the day there is simply nowhere quiet to relax. Of the two pools, one plays loud cheesy music all day plus has a selection of "entertainment" which turns this music up even louder. This includes a foam party. Yes. A foam party at a "luxury resort". The other pool area - which is supposed to be quieter and for adults - is also full of children (no doubt trying to escape the clutches of the entertainment team in the “fun” pool). The music from this whole area also carried on to the beach, so no rest there either.
- During the night there is nowhere to relax with a drink except the bar in the reception. In every location there is either drunk people who should have stopped 6 hours previous, or the "entertainment" providing such joys as Karaoke, a "magic show", a cowboy theme night etc etc. All this is right in the middle of the main pool/bar/restaurant area. If you want to escape any of this then you're forced back to your room. Thus this is where we were forced to go every night after eating.
- The food. Oh dear God the food.... Struggles to reach even an average standard for a 4* hotel, let alone the advertised "luxury" or "gourmet dining". Here's a hint for the company; fancy service and good staff do not compensate for awful food. Everything overcooked, tiny portion size, no taste - it goes on. Every restaurant is "all show and no go".
Asian restaurant - blatantly obvious that the grilled prawns had been cooked in huge batches and then heated up for whatever starter/main needed them
We had a passable meal in the Italian restaurant, but then it takes a particular imbecile to overcook pasta. Having said this the Canoli needed a stronger fork and spoon than that provided to breach its rock-like casing. Special mention must be made of the pastries in the resort - without exception awful they need to find a pastry cook urgently.
The "World Cafe" at least didn't pretend to be anything but a conveyor belt of self-service mediocrity.
I suspect that the French Restaurant had sent someone to France to gather ideas, but the only thing that they had noted about restaurants in that country was tiny portions and pompous table service. Shame they didn’t visit the kitchens or taste any of the food.
The Mexican restaurant managed to distinguish itself by being the worst Mexican food we had eaten in the whole holiday – beating the previous 2 weeks easily.
-On the fourth night of our stay some guests in the “adult only” area where our room was decided to hold a party in the swim-out section, playing loud music, throwing Frisbee and leaving beer cans and cups strewn over the whole area.
Suffice to say this hotel fell way short of its luxury billing in most things except the price, unless you just intend to take your children there and get drunk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Completely renovated by Aug 2013, Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa is located on one of the most unique beaches in the Riviera Maya surrounded by lush tropical acres, sugary white sand and magnificent colonial architecture. Just five minutes from Tulum and 30 minutes from Playa del Carmen, Dreams Tulum offers Unlimited-Luxury(R) with upscale surroundings and combines fun and relaxation with the ancient world of the Maya. Dreams Tulum sits on two miles of powdery white sand with activities to make the whole family happy. And you're right on the ocean for snorkeling, catamarans, windsurfing, kayaking and jumping on our ocean trampoline. Choose from magnificent dining options featuring eight gourmet, a la carte and one buffet-style restaurant. Dine at the Seaside Grill, an a la carte steak house, enjoy French cuisine in a romantic setting at Bordeaux or visit El Patio for Mexican fare. Six bars, including pool and beach side, are perfect places to make new friends, or just catch up with each other. Perfect your swing at nearby Riviera Maya Golf Club offering complimentary greens fees.New Swimout suites in the hacienda area featuring also a new Adults only section ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Tulum Hotel
- Dreams Tulum Riviera Maya
- Dreams Resort Tulum
- Dreams Tulum Mexico
- Sunscape Tulum
- Dreams Resort Spa Tulum
- Dreams Hotel Tulum