“For the restaurant : we would have chosen 6's if they were available!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mezzanine Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Mezzanine Hotel
km 2 Carretera Tulum-Punta Allen, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #12 of 73 hotels in Tulum
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“For the restaurant : we would have chosen 6's if they were available!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stay in Akumal but recommend the worthwhile trek to Tulum beach for a meal at Mezzanine. The chef is Thai, attesting to the authenticity of the food. Our group ordered Drunken Noodles, yellow curry with sweet potatoes and chicken, green curry, "money bags" (won ton with shrimp and jicama), massan curry, gai pad grapow. The view of Tulum beach is a turquoise glow ....breath-taking. Highly recommend. Happy hour is 1-4pm, 2 for 1 Margueritas.

• Stayed January 2013

348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for two weeks and the stay was absolutely wonderful. The original reason why I picked this hotel was that only one to respond in a very timely manner about the booking, therefore I cooncluded that everything about it must be on a high level. And I was not disappointed.

The sea view room had an amazing view on the sea, the bed is very comfortable to sleep on. The window blinds open down, so that the breeze blows into the room at night, making your sleep very comfortable, with no AC needed. The room has a second floow, with a small mattress, however, we only used it to store our luggage, which was also very convenient. The room and bathroom were always very clean, the maids would always do a very nice job, given, of course, you leave them a couple of pesos as a gratuity. Fresh beach towels and two bottles of fresh water are provided every day.

One of the big advantages of the hotel is the WIFI - many of my friends stayed at Be Tulum, Ana y Jose and Playa Azul, however, only Mezzanine had Wifi in the room, although, the speed sometimes was very slow.

The power supply is very important as well. The room has numerous wall plugs near the bed, so you can charge your devices with no problem. Many other hotels have plugs only at the reception, which is quite an inconvenience.

The restaurant is very good. It has amazing breakfasts, especially the banana pancakes, which are to die for. Main courses are very good as well, pad thai especially, however, a note to chef Geefay - tom yum and tom kha gai are extremely sour and were quite a disappointment. I would not question your expertise in cooking, but the soups were definitely not what I tasted and liked back in Thailand.

The staff in general is very nice, although the waiters in the restaurants sometimes would say sarcastic things about you in Spanish, like saying "este chino quiere una cafe" or "this chinese wants some coffee" (I am Korean), even though I would leave good tips to them every day. Not a very pleasant feeling, but, I guess, it happens everywhere. However, Maggie and Alex, thank you for all your support and help, you were very nice.

Small note to those, seeking peaceful vacation - the hotel hosts a party every Friday night, right outside, so the music is loud and goes on until 2:30 am. The hotel warns you about it, so make your plans accordingly.

Some things about the hotel I would think of improving:

Parking - the hotel is located right on the main road, therefore parking is limited. On busy nights it was quite hard to find any parking spot and we had to park all the way down the street. Please, make your security guard reserve a couple of spots for hotel guests, otherwise it was quite an inconvenience.

Beach - the beach, although beautiful, was quite dirty, mainly because of a public beach access close by. It is polluted with lots of plastic and other garbage, which kinda spoils the beach experience. Maybe you could ask your staff to go to the beach in the morning and ask to clean some of it up. I did it myself one day, took me only 10 min to clean up some area, but at least me and my wife did not have to lie around in garbage.

However, overall, Mezzanine is a wonderful place to stay in Tulum. A combination of factors that I listed above, makes it, in my opinion, the best value for the money, and I would definitely come back to this hotel on my next visit to Tulum.

Room Tip: Ask for Sea view number 4, which is at the very end, gives you more privacy and the porch with beach...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I just got back from our trip to Tulum and we had three wonderful nights at Mezzanine. We stayed in a ocean view room and had a magnificent view and loved falling asleep every night to the sound of the waves. The beach that the hotel is on is lovely and a very close walk to ruins and easy cab or bike ride to the pueblo.

We enjoyed cocktails and appetizers every day on the patio and woke up every morning to the delicious coffee that is left for you outside your door topped off with a scrumptious breakfast we could not have asked for more however, the service, especially Gil gave Mezzanine that extra personal touch that you don't get at every hotel. Not only will we back in Tulum but we will be staying again at Mezzanine and have reccommended it to friends who are going in the future.

Thank you for a wonderful trip!!
Remy and Deborah

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean view have a view and the sound of the ocean is definately worth the extra splu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Marcos, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have come to Tulum for our first visit ever. We are working at a local tattoo shop for a "working vacation" and we have eaten at Mezzanine twice. We are staying at hostal Chalupa (which is HIGHLY recommended) so I can't say anything about staying here but as far as the restaurant it is great. They have a great tequila and Mezcal selection and some of the best beach access in the world. Seriously, the turquoise and azure waters are nothing like I have ever seen. Most places ate beautiful here in Tulum but this one stands out so I figured that I'd recommend it to other travelers.

Salud,

Brandon

• Stayed January 2013
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had such a nice stay here. Its located on a beautiful beach and has spectacular views of the ocean. The rooms are big and the bed is really comfy. My only negative comment is that the coffee served in the basket by the door in the mornings was cold. It would have been better getting free coffee at the restaurant in the morning. However, the staff was so nice and helpful so we had a great stay:)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I did not stay here, but feel I need to comment...we went here twice for drinks and the service and drinks were great!! But what I really appreciate is the fact that I left my credit card there one night and I went back the next day, and they had it waiting for me!! Thanks!!
PS-the rosemary mint margarita is to die for!!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tulum, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at Mezzanine for 2 weeks and it was absolutely first class all the way.
The room was clean and spacious and I was a 10 second walk away from one of the most beautiful beaches I had ever seen.
The restaurant was exceptionally good too. Authentic thai curries to an awesome gourmet burger, i enjoyed every meal i had there.
I would definitely recommend Mezzanine to anyone looking for that paradise chilled holiday and I hope to return there next year for another vacation ;)

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view when booking
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
MezManager, Manager at Mezzanine Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
We feel flattered with your amazing comments, it was nice to have you with us, we hope to see you next year!

Been to Mezzanine Hotel? Share your experiences!