“Greatest Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mezzanine Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Mezzanine Hotel to your Saves list
Mezzanine Hotel
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   km 2 Carretera Tulum-Punta Allen, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in Tulum
Cincinnati
“Greatest Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

my wife and I spent our honeymoon at the mezzanine and could not have asked for a more perfect place to be. Quiet, romantic, secluded, with the most amazing views of the ocean. We stayed in one of the master sweets and if you can spring for it, it is worth it. We were not there for the Friday party (this was be design) so I cannot not comment on it. Service was very amicable and provided everything we needed at the nearest convienance. Would not have changed a thing.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Truckee, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I spent a lot of time researching hotels in the area before we chose the Mezzanine. We were most interested in finding a boutique hotel, on the beach, and quiet (and preferably, no kids). We found all this, and so much more at the Mezzanine!!

From the moment we arrived at the Mezzanine the staff could not be more welcoming and sweet...while we were checking in, we were handed welcome drinks and shown around the property by Laura- the general manager. The hotel itself is gorgeous and has the most breath taking views of the Caribbean Sea...we also spent 4 days in Isla Mujeres and 3 days in Playa Del Carmen, and hands down- Tulum had the best beach and water. The hotel is the perfect combination of minimalistic and chic. The rooms have these lovely platform beds with cozy linens and pillows...all the windows and doors have slatted wood coverings so when you open them all up you get the most wonderful breeze. We loved the little loft and the bathroom, with its large rain shower was awesome! We stayed in Ocean View 4- and it had the BEST view of the ocean, with 4 beach chairs steps in front of our door. I can go on and on about how amazing the hotel was- the pictures don't even do it justice.

We ate at the Mezzanine restaurant almost every morning- the coffee is out of this world! We tried a few of the breakfast options, and all were delicious...but the Nicky's pancakes were our favorite (yummmm) and we ordered them every morning. We had dinner once (my husband isn't big into Thai food and we were excited to eat tons of Mexican)- and it was surprisingly good! I had the Pad Thai, and my husband had the Sweet & Sour Chicken and both were amazing. We also had dessert a few nights, and mainly had the Mayan sacrifice which is this espresso/coffee liqueur hot drink that they make at your table, complete with amazing fire presentation!! All of the staff were amazing, we especially liked talking with Fernando every morning....everybody was so kind and helpful. The happy hour 2 for 1 margaritas were to die for! We tried every kind at least once, and the Passion Fruit was my favorite...plus, happy hour is actually 3 hours long- win/win!

My husband would probably say his favorite highlight of the Mezzanine was that they have kayaks and snorkel gear to borrow! We brought our own snorkel gear, but we both love to kayak so it was awesome to have them right on site! Literally right in front of the hotel is one of the largest coral reefs- as soon as we checked in, we jumped in the ocean and snorkeled on out to the break to check it out. The reef was phenomenal- and how cool was it that it was in front of the hotel?!

The staff, especially the GM Laura and Wendy at the front desk were exemplary. I can not say enough about how wonderful they were- I work in the vacation rental business in California, so I understand how stressful it can be day in and day out...and Laura honestly renewed my faith in the industry. We had a situation with our rental car, and even though she most certainly didn't have to, she went above and beyond to take care of the issue so we didn't have to worry while we were on vacation. It made something I was stressed about into a no worries situation- we can not tell her how much we appreciate her efforts!

Everything about our experience at the Mezzanine was well beyond our expectations... it was so romantic, beautiful, relaxing and we came back home recharged- and Laura, Wendy and the staff of the Mezzanine made our trip unforgettable! Thank you!

Room Tip: I'd highly recommend the Ocean View rooms- it's worth the extra $ to have an amazing view of...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

It was a truly beautiful place. The staff was super helpful and casual at the same time. Randomly, their restaurant had the best Thai food I've ever had in the world (and I've been to Thailand more than once).

I had a King Oceanfront room and I think it was worth the extra. The other rooms seemed like they'd be a bit dark, but I didn't actually see them so that's just speculation.

Room Tip: Oceanfront room, it's worth it!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kilmore, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011 via mobile

Our first stay in Mexico and this hotel was perfect. We stayed in a Master Suite with a big balcony overlooking the spectacular beach.
Room was lovely and clean and nicely appointed. I loved the bathroom. The food was amazing and the staff very friendly and welcoming. It was a quiet time to go but loved every minute. We saw other parts of the beach in Tulum and thought this position much better, and within walking distance of the ruins. I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough, we have since moved on to Playa Del Carmen and can't find anything close to Mezzanine.

• Stayed October 2011
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I travel a lot in Mexico and have seen many places. When I go on my Mexico trips, I go to the beach to relax and have a nice time with the locals. I was introduced to the Mezzanine through a friend and totally enjoyed my single stay here - it is my new Mexico experience favorite. The rooms are in a zen like no frills atmosphere and are very clean with cozy bedding and nice smells. I like the small hotel feel & personal attention. I was sick one evening and the hotel staff were concerned with my wellness, even the next day, asking me if I feel better and could they get me anything more to comfort me, making me a special tea. The restaurant food is tops! and the mango drinks are the most delicious I have had. The best thing I liked was that the hotel is the last one on the beach before the Tulum ruins park and therefore, a private beach awaits each morning before the locals arrive around noon. The water is aqua and warmish (better than our Canadian cold waters), and so I totally enjoyed my beach experience as well. If you go, say hi to Wendy at the desk and Gill in the restaurant - they are my personal favs. I enjoyed my stay here so much, that I have booked this hotel for my women's retreat next March 2012!

Room Tip: Any of the 4 rooms with lofts, on the beach level are my favorites.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Youngsville, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We celebrated our 19th Anniversary at the Mezzanine Hotel in Tulum and had a fabulous experience to say the least! We had Master Suite #9 and it was well worth the splurge. The room got an awesome breeze from the ocean in the evening and a cool breeze from the pueblo in the morning even though it was September and still hot. There were also two fans in the room to help with the flow of air. The view from the Suite was amazing! Nothing beats stepping out on your private balcony to read a book or drink your morning java. If a splurge in not in your vacation plans, we suggest #4 of the Ocean front rooms. It’s away from the stairs and traffic, plus it’s a corner unit.

Car Rental / Transfers - We paid for the private transfers, provided by the hotel, from Cancun. The service was there just as they stated even though it took a good 45 minutes to get thru customs – thank goodness. Great service too! Our driver offered many tips on things to do while we were there. We also rented a car the next day with Hertz, just a small compact for $20 a day. We suggest checking with your travel insurance, that you already purchased, we didn’t have to add any additional insurance because it was already included in our protection. Also had additional coverage on our credit card. Hertz was very efficient and only about 5 minutes away, towards the pueblo. We booked it online, about a week ahead of time. Do remember you’ll need to fill up the car and you’ll need pesos to do so. A car rental was nice since the Mezzanine is away from the pueblo and most of the other hotels / things to do– plus it allows for flexibility. We had NO issues the entire time. We parked it out front of the hotel and Mezzanine has security at night (an awesome plus!)

Exploring Tulum - We ventured out only nearby to – Xel-Ha (a snorkel park), cenotes, the ruins, and the pueblo. If you enjoy being active the Xel-Ha experience was a must. The park is huge and has zip lines, tubes for relaxing and floating around, a kids playground, and a great buffet / alcohol selection. It’s an all day adventure. We also went snorkeling in the cenotes. Beautiful experience, but don’t go if you’re afraid of deep water or closed spaces. We had no idea it could get upwards of 50 ft deep in places and it’s a cool 78 degrees but you eventually get used to it. We had an excellent guide and enjoyed hearing about how they were formed. The Tulum ruins were probably the least enjoyable. It was hot, very crowded, and the vendors are more persistent with buying items then in the pueblo. I was not expected it to be so commercialized either. We had been enjoying the laid back atmosphere of Mexico and was not expecting the crowds. The views however were gorgeous – definitely post card material. Pueblo – we enjoyed going into the pueblo and souvenir shopping, eating, and walking around. Some favorites included – gelato, the bakery, and Don Cafetos. One note to the wise, shop owners base prices on how you look / what you’re wearing. We overpaid on a few occasions. We also had two spa massages at Maya Tulum and Spa Resort. Antonia was awesome! 90 minutes of relaxation – what a vacation.

Food – we ventured out to many locations and tried the food. The Mezzanine Hotel’s Thai food and drinks were consistently awesome! Don Cafetos in town was authentic and well priced. The chips and salsa that they bring to the table was delicious and hot even for a Cajun! We even got serenaded by a local. We also ate at Mateos (Mexican) and Piedra Escondida’s (Seafood and Mexican) on 17 toward the beach hotels, Le Bistro (steak and seafood) is also in this direction but further down at Ziggy Beach (the beach is gorgeous but bring your bug spray the mosquitoes come out at night). Maya Tulum and Spa offers vegan and natural options for both food and drink. Out of 5 days not a bad meal had.

All in all we had an awesome experience in Tulum Mexico and at the Mezzanine. Already looking forward to our return trip.

Room Tip: Splurge on the Master Suites, if not pick Ocean View #4
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed here in an ocean view room in August 2011. Our only complaint was the lack of air conditioning, it was really hot and we got no relief even at night with fans and open windows. Apart from that, its a great spot, very small resort with only a few guests and the restaurant was good. Note that this place has a Thai restaurant, not Mexican - we were looking forward to great local cuisine so were a little disapointed to find a Thai restaurant (even though the Thai was great). We weren't confident enough to hire a car and this was a real draw back - we felt 'stuck' at the hotel and didn't get to see many cenotes or other things. It you don't have a car, I'd say stay for 2 nights max. On the whole a great spot, the strip of little hostels/hotels on Tulum beach reminded us of Ko Lanta in Thailand, same sort of relaxed vibe.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mezzanine Hotel? Share your experiences!