““Best value in Tulum”” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Margherita

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Posada Margherita
You added Posada Margherita to your Saves list
Carretera Tulum-Boca Paila Km. 4,5, Tulum, Mexico   |
Ranked #21 of 67 Tulum B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Miami Beach, Florida
““Best value in Tulum””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We found this quant little place by chance while spending a day in Tulum on our honeymoon, after a great cruise, to Cozumel. Everyone who works there is super friendly and willing to assist you in anything you need. Old fashioned, polite, one on one, not trying to sell you something service. Genuine people work here and they LIKE what they do! They LIKE what they do. Said it twice and it is not enough. The rooms are big. They are clean and with beautiful terrace. Super friendly folks. Owners are hands on. And it extends to the guests. Everybody there is a little friendlier because of this place. Delightful.The l breakfast is great with the terrific view of the beach and morning sunrises. The restaurant is one of the most popular in the area, but the staff will give some good tips about other restaurants and bars.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Fantastic hotel, perfect location, very friendly staff... If you are looking for a family-friendly resort, this property is the right place. Plus you just can't beat the beauty of Tulum!
There is nothing quite like it I've ever seen: absolutely stunning.
I was there for a family holiday, which was ideal. But I want to go back with my friends too.
This is truly an oasis of peace and quiet.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Our extended family of 8, including 3 small children stayed here for 8 nights over the New Year holiday. We had a 3 rooms on the ground floor that overlooked the garden.
We would have preferred beach views but all were booked out even though we made reservations more than 6 months in advance !
I can understand why, this really is a beautiful hotel.
Our room was huge, very comfortable beds, great bathrooms and a lovely lounge and terrace area.
The staff were all very friendly and efficient. The breakfast was beautiful.
Visiting from New York we were totally amazed at the huge baskets of fresh bread of all sorts that filled the breakfast table.
We took a glass of wine and some cheeses from the late afternoon offerings on the terrace and sat watching a fantastic view.
We loved this hotel, and it was the best of the many places we stayed on our trip. If we are ever back in Tulum, we will definitely be booking Posada Margherita. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Posada Margarita has good marketing, a nice website and rates to give the impression that this would be a high end hotel. This was the most expensive part of our trip- my husband and I decided to have 3 days of luxury on a beautiful beach. Despite the price (a discounted $200 per night) the accommodation was the most basic that we stayed at and worse than this dirty and not well maintained at all. I hope my disappointment of this place ensure some people to think again about their trip. I understand that this stretch is expensive in mexico and that rust on the fan/lights is unavoidable due to sea air. But I do not believe that dirty sheets/damp smells/cigarettes in the candle holders/shower head with lime scale/ windows with no curtains/curtains bleached throu/dead bugs squished on the walls/ old hair in the shower/stains on the pillows/lazy fittings is acceptable. Especially if u r paying a might $200 a night! They are lucky they have got a beautiful beach to enable to charge these prices for their lack of care and attendance to the rooms was a shock. The manager was nice- he listened to me after a few hours after checking in- of course the policy is no cancellations but he would try and sell the room to a walk in for the next 2 nights so we would stay one night- which didnt happen in the end despite his insures that he tried to sell the room. He did offer us breakfast on him- which was nice as at $16 per person was quite a saving. The breakfast was good and the restaurant was always busy. The vibe is nice- italian family with dogs etc and it was a nice atmosphere. In short we made the most of our trip but there is no way i would recommend this hotel...i will add photos to help my review!

Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

We stayed for our Honeymoon, checking in right at the end, for a 5 night stay. The cost of the room was £140 a night. We stayed 1 night and checked out after finding the place dirty and that the price did not in anyway reflect quality.

Dirty room, didnt smell clean, curtains didnt reach the floor, marks on the wall of unknown stuff, someone elses ear plug by the bed, fag buts in the pots, tea stains by the bed, towels were bleech stained and ripped (repaced by blue towel with brown stains). Please see pictures attached.
The staff were helpful enough but were mostly bothered with blaming the cleaner, probably the least paid person there. Always annoys me this attitude as I feel good management are the ones that ask to see what you are unhappy with and then instruct the cleaner without blame.
The owner is Italian and does not live in Mexico. This shows in the service as the staff seem uninterested in making the place a great place to stay. The owner takes the money and does all the communication with you, if there are issues. This meant that the staff could do little to help and I had to do all my disscussions by email with him. As you can imagion this was a right nightmare in a place where there is little internet.

The place is listed as a B&B (on tripadvisor) but he did not include breakfast in the price. His response was that I should have asked this before booking, perhapes I was stupid not to check but B&B normally means bed and breakfast. He then offered breakfast with the price so we were happy with this. I also commented that there were no toiletries in the room. I was told that this was not a 5 star hotel. I felt that his response was rude and I questioned what we were doing paying for somewhere that was not a B&B and not a hotel. We also felt like we were being blamed for all the isses that we had with the place.
Food is basically over priced pasta. Reputaion in the local area is not good.

We decided to check out and lost half our money because we had paid upfront. We decided to move just up the road to a place half the price that was clean and friendly, we also got a a sea front view. Beach is also better up the road as the beach by this hotel is small.

Anyway perhapes my sights were set too high but we stayed in Mexico for a month and saw alot of places that were half the price and were so much better. We saw lots of stuff while we searched for a new room, loads of places on the Tulum beach that are nicer. Dont forget people its easy to pay for some good write ups and ask some mates to do some good reviews. Doesnt mean its any good!

Ames

Ps hope this review reaches tripadvisor as the owner has already told me he contacted tripadvisor and told them about my 'attitude'. In the end we had to take out a paypal dispute to get our money back as he stopped replying to my emails.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

the service was good, the location amazing and the room clean and with great view.
nothing else to say

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

not only was the food amazing but our waitress went above and beyond being helpful as it was our first time in Tulum she also recommended other places for us to see and Eat and they were also great!! we will be returning to Posada Margherita for the wonderful food and service:)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Posada Margherita? Share your experiences!