“Perfect place for our engagement” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Retiro Maya Eco-Hotel and Retreats

You added Retiro Maya Eco-Hotel and Retreats to your Saves list
Retiro Maya Eco-Hotel and Retreats
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Km. .5 Carretera Tulum-Boca Paila 6, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #61 of 79 Hotels in Tulum
Brooklyn, New York
“Perfect place for our engagement”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

My girlfriend and I went to Tulum for a relaxing weekend away from New York City. Tulum was the perfect place, and Retiro Maya was just what we were looking for. If you're looking for room service and a mint on your pillow, this isn't the place... but if you're looking for a cozy cabana right on the beach, this can't be beat. Imagine walking out of your room each morning right into the soft powder sand. The beach was quiet, there were always plenty of chairs, and the massages were just a stone's throw away. This place exudes charm in every way, and it's the real deal if you're looking for a charming, rustic excape in Tulum. The owners were delightful people, the restaurant serves great meals (we only ate breakfast and dinner there though, as we explored other places at night). I would hands-down recommend this place to a friend in the future, and I hope to be back myself. If I had to give them any suggestions, I'd say that it wouldn't hurt if they gave you a little soap/shampoo. Other than that, all was tops.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

If you’re looking for an authentic & relaxing vacation, Retiro Maya is your choice! This hotel is one of the beautiful around in an ideal location just a mere 40 feet from the ocean. Fully equipped with a restaurant and bar along with massage and yoga staff, Retiro Maya has everything one could imagine for a vacation. I went with a big group of students, and we were blown away by the amazing facilities for retreats and other possible events, I'm even thinking of telling my grandma to have the family reunion there next year!

Our group of 10 students stayed in the beach house, which was a perfect fit because it of the fully furnished kitchen and dining area, this allowed our group to make are meals which made the experience even more exciting! The beach house was fantastic, it came with everything we could have imagined and more, 3 bedrooms total, 2 rooms with 4 single beds (that can be made into doubles) and a third master bedroom with bath.

Retiro Maya has such a fantastic location; it is just down the road from the Sian Kaan biosphere, where we were able to experience some fantastic kayaking scenery. There were also some wonderful shops and nightlife not too far away as well. Great location if you want everything in one spot.

One thing that is unique about Retiro Maya is that it is on an ecological reserve, so at times the water and electricity are a bit sporadic. This wasn't too much of a problem for us because most of the time we were off in the ocean anyway and soaking up the amazing rays. This simply was another part of the experience for our group, and not too much of a problem as we become increasingly conscious of the environment.

Retiro Maya took my breath away; the staff was amazing and never took a moment to stop serving our needs. I love you Retiro Maya! And can’t wait to come back again!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

I stayed in the beach house at Retiro Maya, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The house is spacious - there are 3 bedrooms that sleep up to 10 people, 3 full bathrooms and a very comfortable great room with a seating area, dining room table and kitchen. There is also a deck off of the great room that yields the best sunrises/sunsets I have ever seen.

Furthermore, the house is ON the beach, and contains a private area with lawnchairs (seperate from the deck) which allows you to relax, sunbathe, and listen to the sound of the waves.

The service we received at the beach house was great. The owners, Lu and Salvador, stopped by more than once on our 10-day stay to ensure that all of our needs were being met, in addition to the daily occurence of the cleaning staff. And of course, Luna, the owners' dog, was a blessing to have around. She is very friendly and laid-back...a perfect beach dog!

In all, my stay at Retiro Maya was more than anything I could have asked for. If you are looking for a relaxing place to stay right on the beach with great service, and in a gorgeous area of Mexico, then stay here!!!

Plymouth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

A dream vacation to say the least… I stayed with a group of 10 in the beautiful beach house and could not have been happier! Lu and Salvador, the owners, were very gracious and extremely helpful. The staff was great as well.
From the moment I stepped foot into the house, I felt an overwhelming feeling of relaxation. We spent our days around the house, in the ocean, on the beach, and fell asleep to the waves at night. I can honestly say that my thoughts of going back started from the moment I got onto the airplane.
Stay at Retiro Maya for yourself… you deserve it!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Normally, I am the type of person that travels to the all-inclusive resorts in Cancun or Playa Del Carmen. So when I found out I was going to Tulum, Mexico this year to a place that wasn't well known or an all-inclusive, I was a bit skeptical. This feeling immediately went away the second I stepped out of the car. Retiro Maya has the most beautiful location. The minute you arrive you already feel in tropical location, with the trees and sand, almost a jungle-like setting. As you walk up to the front, we were greeted by the nicest owners and taken to our home for the next 10 days. I stayed in the beach house. The entire trip just blew my mind. The authenticity of Retiro Maya, the warmness of the staff, and the ability to just put your mind in a place of tranquility and relaxation for ten days was the most wonderful experience. This resort is truly something special and magical. I felt like I was in a whole new world- One that I never wanted to leave. It is also the best hosting grounds for a retreat of any type. This place truly defines vacation, one that I will return to year after year.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

Incredible view of the beach is not saying enough. You are staying on the beach. The sand and water is unbelievable. Magnificent! The owner of the hotel Salvadore is very kind and friendly, and his dog Luna is the cutest.

It's an eco friendly place, so don't expect any luxury..

The bed nets were sort of old with holes, which made me sort of paranoid, they should renew them. Also, we felt the bed wasn't not tall enough, I mean the net would be on your face if you lay down straight (I am 5'7''), so we tried to sleep diagonally.

You should go to Posada Margherita 5 mins walking distance for dinner. It is amazing.

The sheets and towels didn't seem to be very clean, but then you are in an eco-friendly area with not that much water I guess...

Pack at night when you have electricity. It's very dark inside early in the morning.

One thing, there will be cockroaches, I don't blame the hotel for that. You are on the beach I don't know how they could prevent it. Make sure you don't leave your suitcase open, we found a cockroach in my suitcase while packing. :(((((. Also, a bunch of cockroaches attacked a pair of my shoes in a plastic bag, (i realized the soles of my shoes got molded with wet sand in a plastic bag, and cockroaches loved it..)

I still strongly recommend this place. Just don't have your stuff lying around, and also bring some roach killing spray. I think it was worth it with the incredible views, the ocean, and the sand.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

This place was extremely over priced for the quality and service ($250 per night). No running water at night when we went to shower. No one available to correct the problem. We got to bed there were no pillow cases on the pillows, again no one available to provide cases. Water fixed in the morning but it was then cold. We were invited for coffee and charge $5 per cup.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Retiro Maya Eco-Hotel and Retreats? Share your experiences!