“Outstanding Value; Exceptional Service” 5 of 5 stars

Posada Luna del Sur
Calle Luna Sur 5 | Tulum Pueblo, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Tulum
Dallas, Texas
“Outstanding Value; Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Posada Luna del Sur is the perfect place to spend time in Tulum. My wife and I stayed here for about three days after staying at a five star resort in the Playa Del Carmen area. It is an outstanding value. (especially during high season when you get free breakfast) Moreover, we thoroughly enjoyed staying in the city centre. Our trip was enhanced because we were able to interact with locals and get a real feel for the culture. When you stay on the beach you are shielded from the beauty of the town and its people. Plus, there are plenty of places that allow you to use the beach after eating breakfast/lunch.

Tom makes Posada Luna del Sur. He puts his heart and soul in to the place and pays attention to the little things. For example, my wife and I were there to celebrate our anniversary and we arrived to a nice bottle of Tequila and rose petals on our bed.

Posada Luna Del Sur is not a luxary hotel. However, it has everything you need and nothing you do not. It is comfortable, clean and well staffed. Thus, expect a quality experience at a great price.

A couple other notes:
1. We had a car throughout the entire time and it was very useful.
2. Tom's map is amazing. While Tulum is easy to navigate, the map saved us several times.
3. It takes about ten-fifteen minutes to get to most of the beach spots and it is a very enjoyable drive. (Except for the speed bumps)

One suggestion:
Bring your own shower gel as it is not included

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We've been visiting Tulum for years, and have truly found at home at Posada Luna Del Sur! It's tucked away on a quiet street at the end of Tulum, but an arms length away from amazing food and drink options that line the main road of Tulum. The rooms are clean, spacious, and every detail is considered.
The real reason we keep coming back is Tom and his staff. We've grown to love Tom, Mary, Chef Eric, and the whole crew! Each time we return they welcome us like old friends. They have advice on everything from where to find the best mojito to where to go on a rainy day to how to handle getting a head cold when in Tulum (Eric's been known to make a special concoction that cures all!). They care for their guests like they are family. The breakfast is better than any place in town, and they'll even make a special for you if you ask nicely (the mole!). The last time I was there, I had a massage from Mary and I have truly never had a better massage in my life (and I love massages!), and it was super reasonable.
We love this place, and you will too.

Room Tip: The wifi in rooms is not strong, it's much better on the deck.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Its not fair! I am now back home and in need of yet another visit to this Posada and Tulum...
This place just so suits us. So clean, friendly, welcoming and the breakfast is sublime. I prefer staying away from the beach so I can wander around the pueblo visiting the lovely bars, restaurants, and enjoying the general activity..
Tom is the best to suggest all the best places to go. Therefore, its going to be rare that you go anywhere and be disappointed.
I would love to give a favourite restaurant but can't as they are all just so good.
Absolutely can't fault it!
x

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel is a treasure of Tulum and of the whole region. The owner and staff are kind, helpful, and welcoming. It is a great deal. We were a little overwhelmed when we got off the bus from cancun into the center of town, with some construction and bustling local town feel. The hotel has a peaceful feel in the hallways and the rooftop is a sanctuary and great place to relax and plan your day.

Once we got to the beach on the second day we caught the Tulum bug and fell in love. The beach businesses of hotels and bars are either remarkably basic or quite expensive, and coming back to town became another part of looking forward to our vacation days.

The owner offered us his advice on which businesses we should visit and how to explore the region with an insider perspective.

We will return and you should stay here.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
PLDSrManagement, General Manager at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hola!

Thanks for the review -- very much appreciated!

It was a big pleasure meeting you folks last week! I know what you mean by the ¨Tulum bug,¨ most do catch that after experiencing Tulum, even from a short 3 day trip!

Great conversation before you checked out and remember please contact me if you have any questions regarding real-estate down here, i´d love to help and be hands on about it.

Come back soon, we´d love to have you back!

brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our lovely Posada just gets better and better each year! Couldn't imagine staying anywhere else! I really recommend as a change from being on the beach. Tulum is such a nice small town, with great atmosphere and plenty of good bars and restaurants. We go to the beach most days, but there's so much more to do, and the pueblo is so well placed to get to other sites. Thank you Tom, for your hospitality, the loveliest welcome back we could have had and the continued attention to detail and feedback that makes your place so perfect. Continue doing what you're doing and the customers will always want to return!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
PLDSrManagement, Owner at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hola!

It was a pleasure seeing you both back here last week! A record 6th time, is very much appreciated, especially to come all the way from across the pond!

I am sorry I did not see you as much as I wanted to-- but happy that you had a great stay! :)

I am humbled at your comments and really do appreciate them. Myself and the staff thrive to improve this hotel year after year. You have seen the changes over the years and I am glad that you can report them here on TA and let others know that we don´t just put the gears in cruise control!

Please do come back soon!

Saratoga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is my third time back to posada. I've stayed on the beach and it was ok. The places on the beach are way expensive and don't have the amenities or ambience. Posada is an amazing place because the staff is amazing. As we were arriving Tom greeted us with a "welcome back", and that to me kickstarted an amazing week in Tulum.
Posada is clean, welcoming and their staff take great care of you. Our friends were celebrating their birthdays and we had a "towel cake" with rose petals and a bottle of wine waiting for us in our room. What a great touch.
Their breakfast is my favorite part. I loved waking up early and bringing my book to the terrace while waiting for my made to order omelet. Chef Eric and Mary are so sweet. I took the opportunity in scheduling a massage with Mary and it was the best. Mary may be petite but she can definitely work those pesky knots.
What more can I say about Posada other than I wish I was there right now.

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the terrace have wifi access because thats where the router is.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Hola Juan!

Thanks for your review, it is very much appreciated! We love seeing you back here and I am humbled that you have been here a few times! My goal is to have my guests love Tulum and the hotel that they return yearly, if not multiple times per year! Your group is so much fun and we are thrilled each and every time you return.

Thrilled you loved the room, service and birthday spread--thanks for the picture! :)
Mary was trained at the International Swedish Massage School, here in QROO. She is highly skilled, patient and even though she is petite, you are right, she can work those knots! Not to mention, the prices we have on in-room spa services, beat any over-priced hotel at the beach :)

Speaking of which, we are currently working on construction of our new spa. This should be completed by this time next year. We will have a fully functioning luxurious spa!

Thanks again and hope to see you guys back here soon :)

Until next time,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2015

Choosing to stay at Posada Luna del Sur was the beginning of a perfect vacation.

The staff was accommodating and hard working- the rooms were always clean and comfy. The staff took the time to add personal touches like the towel animals that greeted us each day, and they even spread flower petals and chocolates on my bed for my birthday. The breakfasts by Chef Eric were amazingly delicious, authentic, and fresh. AND you get to enjoy the morning sun and breeze from the nice open (covered) patio on the top floor of the hotel.

Tom, the owner, exceeded all expectations and more. He really helped make our trip memorable and hassle free. With the map Tom has made for his customers and the personal time he takes with each of his guests, you are sure to never have a dull day. From local cuisine and night life, to day trips in the ruins, or snorkeling with sea turtles, Tom will steer you straight with his personal references, honest prices, his network of knowledgeable guides.

The location in town was PERFECT for our style of vacation. In my opinion, staying in town beats staying on the beach TEN FOLD. From the hotel there are numerous local restaurants and bars that are within walking distance. The night life in town was great: friendly bar tenders, live music, and dancing- all at great, unbeatable prices.

We spent our days on the beach (cab rides to the beach were about $5-10 US dollars) or taking advantage of Tom's suggested activities, and we spent our evenings in town of Tulum. The one night we went to beach to check out the night life, we were overwhelmed by the crowded bars and pricier drinks. The vibe of the town and the vibe of the beach are completely different.

If you'd really like to experience Tulum and all it has to offer, do yourself a favor and stay in town at Posada Luna del Sur.... while you're at it, extend your vacation a few days, because once you get there, you will never want to leave!!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello Emma!

Thanks so much for the review, what a great review-- spot on about everything.

It is always great to have a fellow Texan swing by my little posada!

I agree, the town and the hotel are two different beasts. I do believe the beach is gorgeous and I DO enjoy it during the day. However, I would advise folks looking to stay in Tulum to consider staying in town, just like your review says. Why? Because the beach hotels are not developed and your stay in a ¨eco-chic¨ hotel will most likely be a tough one. They are more so rustic huts, that cost $350-800 per night (I know crazy right!?) and I´m not even sure they should be called hotels. Sure it could be fun for a couple of days, anything more and you will be toughing it out. Stay with us for cheaper! Enjoy a bug-free, humidity-free, damp-matress-free, comfortable room! Stay with us and enjoy quality a room and lay on the beach during the day and sleep with us :) Not to mention, our value cannot be touched. There are too many comforts to list in this review, so I would go to our website to see them, then compare to beach front hotels and you will see the choice is an obvious one!

Glad you enjoyed your birthday presents:)

It was a big pleasure meeting you both and again thanks for the amazing review and I look forward to your return visit

Until next time,
Buen suerte!
Tom

Been to Posada Luna del Sur? Share your experiences!