“A place like home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 79 Hotels in Tulum
new york
“A place like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This hotel is a treasure of Tulum and of the whole region. The owner and staff are kind, helpful, and welcoming. It is a great deal. We were a little overwhelmed when we got off the bus from cancun into the center of town, with some construction and bustling local town feel. The hotel has a peaceful feel in the hallways and the rooftop is a sanctuary and great place to relax and plan your day.

Once we got to the beach on the second day we caught the Tulum bug and fell in love. The beach businesses of hotels and bars are either remarkably basic or quite expensive, and coming back to town became another part of looking forward to our vacation days.

The owner offered us his advice on which businesses we should visit and how to explore the region with an insider perspective.

We will return and you should stay here.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
PLDSrManagement, General Manager at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hola!

Thanks for the review -- very much appreciated!

It was a big pleasure meeting you folks last week! I know what you mean by the ¨Tulum bug,¨ most do catch that after experiencing Tulum, even from a short 3 day trip!

Great conversation before you checked out and remember please contact me if you have any questions regarding real-estate down here, i´d love to help and be hands on about it.

Come back soon, we´d love to have you back!

Tom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Our lovely Posada just gets better and better each year! Couldn't imagine staying anywhere else! I really recommend as a change from being on the beach. Tulum is such a nice small town, with great atmosphere and plenty of good bars and restaurants. We go to the beach most days, but there's so much more to do, and the pueblo is so well placed to get to other sites. Thank you Tom, for your hospitality, the loveliest welcome back we could have had and the continued attention to detail and feedback that makes your place so perfect. Continue doing what you're doing and the customers will always want to return!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
PLDSrManagement, Owner at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hola!

It was a pleasure seeing you both back here last week! A record 6th time, is very much appreciated, especially to come all the way from across the pond!

I am sorry I did not see you as much as I wanted to-- but happy that you had a great stay! :)

I am humbled at your comments and really do appreciate them. Myself and the staff thrive to improve this hotel year after year. You have seen the changes over the years and I am glad that you can report them here on TA and let others know that we don´t just put the gears in cruise control!

Please do come back soon!

Saratoga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is my third time back to posada. I've stayed on the beach and it was ok. The places on the beach are way expensive and don't have the amenities or ambience. Posada is an amazing place because the staff is amazing. As we were arriving Tom greeted us with a "welcome back", and that to me kickstarted an amazing week in Tulum.
Posada is clean, welcoming and their staff take great care of you. Our friends were celebrating their birthdays and we had a "towel cake" with rose petals and a bottle of wine waiting for us in our room. What a great touch.
Their breakfast is my favorite part. I loved waking up early and bringing my book to the terrace while waiting for my made to order omelet. Chef Eric and Mary are so sweet. I took the opportunity in scheduling a massage with Mary and it was the best. Mary may be petite but she can definitely work those pesky knots.
What more can I say about Posada other than I wish I was there right now.

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the terrace have wifi access because thats where the router is.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
PLDSrManagement, Owner at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hola Juan!

Thanks for your review, it is very much appreciated! We love seeing you back here and I am humbled that you have been here a few times! My goal is to have my guests love Tulum and the hotel that they return yearly, if not multiple times per year! Your group is so much fun and we are thrilled each and every time you return.

Thrilled you loved the room, service and birthday spread--thanks for the picture! :)
Mary was trained at the International Swedish Massage School, here in QROO. She is highly skilled, patient and even though she is petite, you are right, she can work those knots! Not to mention, the prices we have on in-room spa services, beat any over-priced hotel at the beach :)

Speaking of which, we are currently working on construction of our new spa. This should be completed by this time next year. We will have a fully functioning luxurious spa!

Thanks again and hope to see you guys back here soon :)

Until next time,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Choosing to stay at Posada Luna del Sur was the beginning of a perfect vacation.

The staff was accommodating and hard working- the rooms were always clean and comfy. The staff took the time to add personal touches like the towel animals that greeted us each day, and they even spread flower petals and chocolates on my bed for my birthday. The breakfasts by Chef Eric were amazingly delicious, authentic, and fresh. AND you get to enjoy the morning sun and breeze from the nice open (covered) patio on the top floor of the hotel.

Tom, the owner, exceeded all expectations and more. He really helped make our trip memorable and hassle free. With the map Tom has made for his customers and the personal time he takes with each of his guests, you are sure to never have a dull day. From local cuisine and night life, to day trips in the ruins, or snorkeling with sea turtles, Tom will steer you straight with his personal references, honest prices, his network of knowledgeable guides.

The location in town was PERFECT for our style of vacation. In my opinion, staying in town beats staying on the beach TEN FOLD. From the hotel there are numerous local restaurants and bars that are within walking distance. The night life in town was great: friendly bar tenders, live music, and dancing- all at great, unbeatable prices.

We spent our days on the beach (cab rides to the beach were about $5-10 US dollars) or taking advantage of Tom's suggested activities, and we spent our evenings in town of Tulum. The one night we went to beach to check out the night life, we were overwhelmed by the crowded bars and pricier drinks. The vibe of the town and the vibe of the beach are completely different.

If you'd really like to experience Tulum and all it has to offer, do yourself a favor and stay in town at Posada Luna del Sur.... while you're at it, extend your vacation a few days, because once you get there, you will never want to leave!!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello Emma!

Thanks so much for the review, what a great review-- spot on about everything.

It is always great to have a fellow Texan swing by my little posada!

I agree, the town and the hotel are two different beasts. I do believe the beach is gorgeous and I DO enjoy it during the day. However, I would advise folks looking to stay in Tulum to consider staying in town, just like your review says. Why? Because the beach hotels are not developed and your stay in a ¨eco-chic¨ hotel will most likely be a tough one. They are more so rustic huts, that cost $350-800 per night (I know crazy right!?) and I´m not even sure they should be called hotels. Sure it could be fun for a couple of days, anything more and you will be toughing it out. Stay with us for cheaper! Enjoy a bug-free, humidity-free, damp-matress-free, comfortable room! Stay with us and enjoy quality a room and lay on the beach during the day and sleep with us :) Not to mention, our value cannot be touched. There are too many comforts to list in this review, so I would go to our website to see them, then compare to beach front hotels and you will see the choice is an obvious one!

Glad you enjoyed your birthday presents:)

It was a big pleasure meeting you both and again thanks for the amazing review and I look forward to your return visit

Until next time,
Buen suerte!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Such a sweet place to stay, simple without being basic, has everything you need with helpful staff and a welcoming environment. The rooms are spacious with good beds and large showers, air conditioning and ceiling fans as well as cool thick walls to keep the heat at bay. The patio rooftop is a great place to socialise and hand out. Right in the heart of Tulum for easy walking access to shops and restaurants, and short $10 taxi ride to one of the greatest beaches in the world. Ask Tom about organising trips to local sights. Highly recommend a cenote swim, simply breathtaking.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hola!

Thanks for the kind words!

I especially like the title of the review--- ¨Simple, welcome and comfortable.¨

I would say this best describes us. I try and give my guests everything they would need to enjoy their stay, at a price point that cannot be beaten in this town.

We don´t photo-shop our pictures or apply misty filters-- and never use classic Tulum vocab, such as ¨eco-chic luxury,¨ which is basically a term some hotels use to cover their butts-- they really do mean that they are rustic and do not have a maintenance team on stand-by to paint.

I like the last part of the review,¨Ask Tom about organising trips to local sights,¨. please do! This is my passion as a hotelier living in Tulum. I will most definitely plan your day and book you the best tours Tulum has to offer. Remember, most tour companies offer hotel owners a free tour, so we can get an idea of what the tour consists of, how its operated, etc. My point being is, I have tried 95% of the tour companies in this town-- the ones I have chosen, I believe are the best pound for pound, so rarely do I have a guest that was not satisfied!

Please come back one day and stay with us one day, we´d love to have you back! :)

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Probably my 5th year going back to this place and it's always perfect! Steady and reliable quality and service every time. Clean and cozy rooms, fresh drinking water at all times, all the amenities and appliances you need and great personal service. If you need help planning day trips or excursions, the owner is always more than helpful and willing to put together an itinerary for you, arranging your activities with awesome locals. It's really become my home away from home yearly during the winter months at home, I'll be back again next year for sure, if not sooner. Tulum is fantastic. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Hola Mike!

Thanks so much for your review. Super stoked you came back once again!
We do have a lot of guests coming back for a return trip and some coming numerous times, like yourself!

Flying from Montreal, Canada, only takes 5 hours, not far at all to visit this paradise! Even from NYC it is only a short 4 hour trip, making Tulum a perfect exotic getaway from anywhere in the US or Canada!

Once again, it was a pleasure hosting you this time around and I hope to see you back here again soon!

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The owner was very welcoming and helpful. Tom helped us a lot and indicated all the nice spots to go eat/relax and explore. The room was clean (and cleaned everyday!). Any little problem was fixed on the same day, without any issue.Being in-town, you are close to every local attraction, and my partner and I loved to rent bikes to get to the beach Everyday.

The breakfast selection was very diverse, and yummy, served everyday on the lovely rooftop terrasse.

We cannot recommend this establishment enough!
Merci!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
PLDSrManagement, Owner at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Bonjour Anabel!

Thanks for taking the time to write this fantastic review! I really appreciate the feedback!

Breakfast is yummy, I agree! Not only is it yummy, but it is included in the rate-- awesome! I can´t name another hotel that has their breakfast included and I don´t mean coffee or stale/frozen baked goods. Some hotels in Tulum have ¨communal kitchens,¨ where you can cook your own breakfast. We see that is unacceptable and rather ¨hostel´ish.¨ Don´t do any work on your holiday!
Something to note is, our breakfast is made to order-- meaning it is super fresh. Items are purchased on the same day or the night before, so we always have the best tasting ingredients fresh from the local fruteria! We also don´t cut corners on our items. We provide the best tasting ingredients as; fresh locally bought eggs, squeezed premium orange juice, imported American bacon, easy digestions milk (local stuff, may give tummy aches!). Small touches like this, which folks probably do or do not notice, really insures you have the best experience during breakfast, a way to get your day started-- and by day, I do mean that! We don´t skimp on our portions, so you might be full for your entire day! :)

Thanks again and hope to see you back here one day!
Tom

Been to Posada Luna del Sur? Share your experiences!