“Do yourself a favor and stay here” 5 of 5 stars

Posada Luna del Sur
Calle Luna Sur 5 | Tulum Pueblo, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 78 Hotels in Tulum
Los Angeles, California
“Do yourself a favor and stay here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

If you want to experience culture, stay in Tulum town and STAY AT THIS HOTEL. First of all, Tulum town is not commercialized at all and all the businesses are small and run by families. It's one strip of a street, and the Posada Luna Del Sur is in a wonderful location, easily accessible by the ADO bus and one block away from the main street itself so that it is still quiet during the night.

Here are my points about why you should stay here:
1) Security - there is a security guard at the entrance of the hotel who is friendly and helpful. Also, the gate into the hotel locks so you can't enter without a key.
2) The room - it's exactly how it is portrayed on the pictures. It's also exactly what you would expect to see in Mexico. It was clean, the shower was great, and you have a kitchen if you decide to cook yourself. The AC was perfect.
3) Breakfast - it's included in your price. And it was very good.
4) TOM - literally the most helpful man ever. He has created a map which points to every great restaurant, beach club, souvenir shop -- you name it -- in Tulum, and he is easily accessible if you need any advice because he lives in the hotel with his family. Also, he pointed us away from the tourist traps and showed us the best local spots, and he helped us out with giving us appropriate taxi rates so we wouldn't be ripped off.
5) The rooftop - it's a great place to relax, PLUS there is FREE WIFI!
6) It was my birthday, and Tom bought me a wonderful bottle of red wine and chocolates, and the room service created a beautiful concoction out of towels. Tom even handpicked flowers as a garland that was wrapped around the towel concoction.

Seriously, my boyfriend and I could not have been happier with this hotel, and if we ever return to Tulum, we will most definitely stay here again. And the price is UNBEATABLE! Thanks again, Tom!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel was well prepared for our arrival;the room was comfortable with a California King Size bed, with a relaxing patio outside in the garden; the service was excellent as were the breakfasts with significant varieties of food.
Having Tom, the owner live in the hotel is a significant advantage, with great advice and helpfulness, although the map he provides for the town is not as helpful as it could be, if the map was to scale and showed that the beach is 10 kms (6 miles) from the hotel.
We choose to stay in the town to really experience Mexican and Mayan culture, but the disadvantage is being awaken by the sounds of the town, including barking dogs as well as living next to considerable poverty, unlike the dozens of hotels along the Tulum beach.
Although these latter hotels have no access to fresh water, except that brought in by tanker trucks, the Posada also was not able to get access to the Tulum city water supply on three mornings we were there, making morning showers or even brushing of teeth before 10 impossible. No water came out of the taps or into the toilets. But Tulum is in a developing country ... and this b&b is probably a 2-3 star place.
The only other consideration for future travellers, is that although Tom is there to help and my spouse and I speak reasonable Spanish, none of the staff spoke more than a few words of English - communication problems occurred.
WIFI is only available on the rooftop patio, with lots of shade.
Thanks for a great 5 days of staying here.

Room Tip: Suggest staying on the ground floor with a patio in the garden. The second floor may be more hot in...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
PLDSrManagement, Owner at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi Anton,

Thanks for your review, it is much appreciated.

I thrilled you enjoyed your overall stay! However, I feel like I must address a few things. Inaccuracies, if you will.

The map I have provided, which is constantly praised as a helpful tool, is just that. It is something I made with passion to help assist you on your trip. No other hotel provides a custom hotel, made by the owner with his favorite locations. This map is not a map prepared by a cartographer, nor do I ever claim it is to scale.This town is so small and simple to navigate you don´t need a map. This is simply a map to give you reference points to my favorite locales. In fact, during the 2 hour orientation, where I brought you and your spouse into my office, I clearly explained this in full detail. I also explained the distance to the beach, which is 3.5 KMs (2.1 miles), not 10KMs. Again, this is just a simple map created to help guide you to my favorite destinations, which I know you did use! :)

Dogs barking, chickens crowing and music playing are all normal affairs in an authentic Mexican town. Beach or town, it doesn't make a difference. Thankfully this is not a consistent happening and I have never had a complaint about this. Some days there are dogs barking, but not enough to penetrate your room walls.

Our hotel has a constant flow of fresh water. The days you were here, I explained to you (and every other guest) that there was an issue with the municipal supply. I am not sure why you are addressing this in your review, as you know exactly what happened and I explained the issue to you and your spouse. The few days you stayed here, we did have an issue with the water and I do apologize. Water trucks were called in (we have water from the city normally) and the problem was fixed before you were done eating breakfast, thus causing only a minor inconvenience. This was a city-wide issue, meaning that every hotel and every residential home was experiencing what we were experiencing-- simply out of my control and not a hotel level issue. This was an isolated event, which does not happen but a few times a year, if that. NOTE: please refer to past reviews to compare that there has not been any issues with the water supply.

I disagree with your statement about poverty. Quintana Roo is one of the more prosperous states in the country. I am not sure what one defines poverty as? To me, poverty is not being able to eat and have fresh drinking water. This is south Mexico, not Ottawa, things are different and people live differently. Something you might not be used to, does not necessarily mean there is poverty. Tulum is a cultural experience, not a pretentious one, similar to what can be found in Cancun and Playa del Carmen-- the Americanized part of the riviera :)

Finding an English speaking staff member is not my main concern as a hotelier, when hiriing a staff member. My concern is that they are honest, respectful and courteous to all my guests. In Mexico, a reliable staff is more precious than an English speaking on. After all, this is why I am here and available most of the day. I am out and about daily during breakfast service and available in my office, pretty much 12 hours a day, more than the norm. The breakfast menu is written in English and they are familiar with the translation. At the end of the day, there is no real need to speak English to my staff.

Lastly, to rank the hotel at a 2-3 star level, is a bit of a stretch. The value and quality I offer cannot be found in Tulum. You will end up paying either $50 a night for a ¨Motel 6¨ experience or you will end up paying $400 per night with nothing to show. The personal service I gave you and your spouse, even before you ever arrived at the hotel, via our email communications, is not found at most diamond or Michelin rated hotels. I am committed to my guest and a two hour sit-down, explaining Tulum and the surrounding areas, is just one example of this. I like to say that I offer my guests a five-star concierge service with a 2 star price-tag. Service, quality of materials that can be found in the room and over all amenities--- matched with the low price is something you will need to consider before making the above statement. Please compare other hotels in the area and you will see that we are clearly the leader in Tulum. There is a reason we have over 700 reviews :)

Thanks to the great system that is Trip Advisor, I do have the option to respond to reviews. I am glad I have a chance to clear up a few inaccuracies.

I do appreciate your review and am pleased that your over-all experience was a satisfactory one.
Come back and see us one day.

Kindly,
Tom
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a great stay at Posada Luna del Sur. This is a basic hotel, but with a lot of attention to detail. The rooms were clean, large and comfortable. The breakfast was delicious, and Tom's advice on where to eat in Tulum were spot on! If you'd like to experience a Mexican town life rather than a beach life, this B&B is for you.

Cheshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We spent the last week of February at the Posada Luna Del Sur. It was our first visit to Mexico and we enjoyed it very much. As many reviewers have commented Tom who runs the place is very friendly and full of good advice. He takes an interest in all his guests and his suggestions seem to be tailored to their tastes. He has produced a map which combines information on where to go in town and also the beach area. He booked us a table at Celti, a very good restaurant in town, which we would never have discovered without him. We rented a car and parked it in one of the 4 spaces by the hotel entrance although there was also parking in the street outside. We drove to Valladolid one day which was a fascinating colonial town. Tom had produced a couple of sheets with ideas for the trip and his lunch recommendation was great.

Breakfast on the roof terrace was very enjoyable and is served until 10.00. We decided to visit the Tulum Mayan Ruins at opening time before the crowds arrived and we were back at the hotel to catch breakfast.

Most of the guests were American or Canadian but for any Brits considering a stay Tom’s mother is from Cardiff and I found myself discussing with him Wales’ chances in the six nations which was not a conversation I was expecting! All in all we had a great stay and would certainly recommend the Posada Luna Del Sur as an ideal base in Tulum.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This B&B is just lovely!! The rooms are large and clean and airy (you'll need AC, but they have it). The breakfasts are very good. Too good! The price is incredible--especially given that a full breakfast is included. The staff couldn't be nicer or more accommodating. The owner's son (15 mo. old) and wife make occasional visits to the breakfast area. He couldn't be cuter and Mary is lovely. For us, the best part of our visit at Posada Luna del Sur was Tom Graham, the owner. This was our firs trip to Tulum, and we didn't have time to do our "homework" before we left, so we arrived pretty clueless about what to do or how to get around. Tom was a very friendly fount of information--from restaurants, to tours to how to get around on our own. We would have been lost (literally!!) without him. He could not have been nicer or more accommodating! A very strong four thumbs up for this B&B!!

Room Tip: I think I'd choose the second floor.
Kalispell, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First of all, Tom the owner is a hands-on owner. This isn't a place where the owner never checks on the place. Morning after morning, Tom says hello to every guest table at breakfast offering suggestions regarding the area, things to do, offers arranged transportation to what-ever or just to remind his guests he is onsite and available day or night if needed. I appreciated this a lot. It can't be easy to keep this up day after day but obviously he's serious about his business. He also said he enjoys his guests. Him and his family live onsite.

- The hotel is small and quaint. It is on the edge of town, but within walking distance to several fantastic restaurants. It's also close to the collectivo's and cab's are plentiful. I felt very safe there as well.
- Each room is cleaned every day, coffee ground container topped off, coffee filters refreshed, towels and sheets changed. Very clean.
- Breakfast was excellently prepared. Very good flavors and a variety of options. The breakfast area is very comfortable, clean and served restaurant style. At night the area is softly lit and has background music. It's a nice place to sit and relax. You're given a menu, a lovely young lady, serves good hot, strong coffee and takes your order. When it's ready, she also serves it to you. Breakfast alone, saves money on the overall trip.
- Beds are good sized, I think they might even be true king. More comfortable than the typical Mexico bed. I have neck issues, so the pillows were a little rough because they didn't squish down or conform very much. They were puffy and they pretty much stayed that way. We usually bring our own pillows to MX but this year we didn't, but wished we would have. :)
- Air conditioner worked great.
- Good soaps, shampoo, conditioner and lotion provided. Clean as a whistle coffee maker, with cups, filters, filtered water and coffee grounds provided. LOVED this!
- Got a massage in my room, arranged by Tom. The little lady was dressed very professional and obviously trained to give massage. Good massage for a reasonable price.
- Overall, a nice comfortable place to stay. If I go back to the area, I would certainly stay here again.

Thanks Tom for all of your time and attention you provided to us!

ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Cannot say enough about our experience! Tom is an amazing host and he has a great staff. Breakfast prepared by chef Eric was delicious! Really easy to get to the beach and other attractions. Tom's map of the area was so helpful. We enjoyed every recommendation and are so happy we chose to stay at Posada Luna del Sur. Tulum is magical! We will absolutely be back!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Posada Luna del Sur? Share your experiences!