“Keep coming back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 76 Hotels in Tulum
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Keep coming back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This February will mark the 3rd time in three years my girlfriend and I are returning to this hotel. Why do we continue to come back year after year? The simple answer is Tom and his wonderful staff, however they are just one aspect that makes this hotel and area so great to visit.

The hotel has nice, clean, large rooms that have a porch or patio, small kitchen and fridge. The location in town provides great access to good restaurants and bars in town, which I tend to prefer as the food is better quality and a fraction of the price from many of the places on the beach. Also, even though the hotel is not on the beach, it is a quick, 15 min. bike ride or cheap 5 min. cab to get to the beach.

The hotel staff, led by Tom, are beyond friendly and accommodating.Tom provides great, honest advice about many of the places and activities in the area, and has great contacts to set you up with for any tours you might be interested in. It really has the feel of vacationing with a local due to his knowledge of the area and honesty in discussing different places and activities. The breakfast provided is excellent and is a great way to start the day on the rooftop.

Give Tom your business once and you'll understand the drive to keep going back year after year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Turkish first
Maya Beach, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My wife and I love to spend a little time in Tulum whenever we can, which isn't often enough! One of the attractions for us is this perfect little hotel. We can always depend on spotless rooms, comfortable beds, cold air and a great staff.
For those not familiar with Tulum, Tom (owner) has a great map packed with ideas, descriptions and personal opinions, all of which are most helpful in planning your activities! The hotels central location makes for an easy walk to the ADO or most of "downtown" eateries.
As I titled this, why would I consider any other hotel in Tulum?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

My wife and I just got back from our trip to Tulum. We felt very welcomed by Tom and the staff. We loved the towel animals and Tom's map was invaluable. Tom also went out of his way to point us in the direction of some fun adventures and great food. Our trip would not have gone as smoothly without his excellent recommendations. This is a true gem, we felt pampered our entire trip.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My kids 18 and 23 and i stayed at the Posada July 2014. The hotel was very clean and comfortable and in a great location. Our room had a cute little patio, refrigerator, coffee maker, and air conditioning. Up on the top floor is an area with tables, chairs and sofas where you can relax and also where you can get wi-fi. i was a little surprised to learn that there wasn't a front desk to check in at which is where I was hoping to speak with Tom or anyone to get help with activities and tours since I ad read many reviews on how helpful he was. In our room a note said he lived on the third floor and to come by if the guests needed anything. We stopped by and unfortunately, the person who answered the door advised us that he was not feeling well and if we wanted any help to email him. That was a little disappointing, but I understand sometimes people get sick.

Also, a note in the room advised that the sewer system does not allow any toilet paper to be flushed so everything goes in the trash can. Not a big idea for us, but something I thought to mention.

All in all, the hotel was great for the price. It was close to the Main Street for places to eat and shop.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here at the end of Jun/early Jul. The twin room we reserved was clean, spacious, cool, and very comfortable. Although I never met Tom, he arranged the most wonderful day trips (adventures) for us almost every day with wonderful and I must say exceptional guides and taxi driver. He was incredibly helpful and patient with my requests. His recommendations for "good eats" in the town of Tulum including margarita was on the money. After have wonderful eco adventures and dinner in town every day, my daughter and I would come back to the room and fall asleep very peacefully. You can't beat the price and as a result I was able to put most of my funds into the day adventures. Thank you Tom and Graham for making my trip with my daughter so fantastic!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We arrived at Tulum following three nights in Holbox. Tulum in comparison is large and busy with lots to see and do. We hired a car from Cancun airport and this was probably the best decision we made, it meant that we could zip around town, to and from the beach and to the ruins and cenotes whenever we wanted.

The hotel is situated towards the end of the main road (coming from Playa del carmen) and to the left. In the car it's about a 10 minute drive to the beach.

Our room was large, we were on the ground floor in the end room. We had a porch, a sort of kitchen area with fridge, plates and cutlery and sink for washing dishes (no hob). The shower room and toilet were very clean, the bed was large, we slept well every night, we had air conditioning and two fans and a sofa/ lounge area. There was a porter at the front of the building and upstairs was the communal area with tables and chairs where you could get wifi. The only downside to this hotel is that you do not get wifi in your rooms.

We didn't need extra facilities as we were so close to the main road and all the restaurants and shops that we needed. Also we spent little time in the room as we were out early in the mornings to go diving in the cenotes or having fun by the beach. In the evenings it was nice to be able to eat and drink on the main strip and safely walk home.
Great hotel, no fuss, clean, accessible and very well priced. Would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Just returned from a week in Tulum. We decided to stay in town instead of on the beach so we could get real feeling for the town. We chose Posada Luna del Sur based on the reviews here. We certainly chose right! The room was a good size with traditional Mexican decor and a cute terrace. Plenty of storge space, an efficiency kitchen, small fridge and coffee maker. PLDS is located on a quiet street a few minutes walk to town center. It is low season so breakfast was not served, but there are plenty of options close by. And best of all, the price is right! $400+ dollars for the week, way cheaper than anything decent on the beach. If you want comfortable accommodation in Tulum pueblo, you can't do better than Posada Luna del Sur!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Posada Luna del Sur? Share your experiences!