“Clean and very friendly place” 5 of 5 stars

You added Posada Luna del Sur to your Saves list
Posada Luna del Sur
Calle Luna Sur 5 | Tulum Pueblo, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 76 hotels in Tulum
“Clean and very friendly place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Luna del Sur is located sightly outside the town center, but because Tulum is so small, you can easily walk everywhere in town. You can definitely trust the long list (map) of Tom's personal recommendations for eating, trips and anything else - only great experiences!
The rooms are very clean and spacious, all the people are very warm and frienldy - from boss to security guard.
A place we could recommend to our friends as well as our parents...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PLDSrManagement, Manager at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hi Fabien,

Thanks so much for your positive comments about the hotel.

I was a pleasure meeting you and your companion.

I hope one day you can come back and visit us and beautiful Tulum!

Until then adios!

701 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

It's no wonder this place has been rated so highly. The rooms are clean and neat, great service and an amazing breakfast. Tom was very helpful and had some great tips on where to go, who to use and where to get a great feed. Will be staying here again next time we visit Tulum.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Shalom!

I just want to drop a quick response and thank you for your positive review.

I am glad you enjoyed your time here and again, mazel tov on your recent marriage. I do wish you guys all the best and years more of traveling the world!

I´m thrilled you enjoyed yourselves at the Sian Kaan biosphere. Once again, I am just blessed to have Antonio as a guide. I offer quite a few tours and he is definitely voted the best per my guests.

Until next time,
bueno suerte,
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Tom was really nice and so did the staff. everything was very nice and clean and comftereble. our first welcoming was with roses chocolate and wine for our honeymoon and it was great!
Tom gave us a map with all the great beaches and the best food. he also connected us with an amazing guid name Antonio wich we were very impresed by when visiting shian kahn biosphere.
the room was realy good and comftereble and the location is very close to "city center" it is a small town with a main road.
thank you Tom your hotel made our stay in tulum perfect!
we recomend everyone to stay there !!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I booked my stay based on Trip Advisor reviews, and they proved to be an understatement on how wonderful this small hotel is. Tom, the owner, was fantastic as were the rest of the staff. The rooms are spotless with all the amenities you'd need when you're not at home, including a really helpful local map with restaurant and other local knowledge recommendations (take them, trust me- they're awesome!). The location is 10 minutes walk from everywhere in town and a 50 peso (negotiated) ride to the beach. All in all I wish I could rate this little gem more than 5 stars.

• Stayed September 2013
League City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

If your going to stay in Tulum this is the place to be. I was amazed by this quaint boutique hotel and grateful to Tom the proprietor who helped me and my boyfriend plan outings and pick restaurants. We've stayed at other hotels in the area previous to this trip but this is by far the most comfortable ,most cost-efficient and most friendly place we've stayed. My boyfriend and myself have found this hidden little gem in Tulum and now we can call it our home away from home as we will definitely be coming back!

-Adri & Lloyd :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My wife and I were visiting Tulum for several days to check out some property in the area, as well as visit the ruins and get a feel for the community. We chose Tom's Posada Luna Del Sur based on some other reviews on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed. We had a great stay. The room was quite comfortable, stylish and very clean. It included a small kitchenette, refrigerator and coffeemaker as well. In addition, in our room which was on the second floor, we were able to receive a reasonably good wifi signal during our stay.

Tom took us to our room and gave us a map, on which was marked all of his top recommendations for food, drink, excursions, etc. Very helpful. In addition, he took the time to point out some of his very favorite spots and gave us a nice overview of the town and what it had to offer. He is a genuinely nice person and eager to help you enjoy your visit to Tulum.

The staff was excellent as well, especially our maid who thrilled us each day with a new "animal" sitting on our bed, created from our bath towels. It became one the high points of our stay, wondering each day what new animal she could fashion."

In any case we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there, and we will "hang our hats" there again whenever we return.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

One of key requirements was the availability of WiFi... which is advertised... but on arrival it was explained to us "that it was not wholly available to all rooms due to signal issues and being in a developing country etc... but it was available on the roof top seating area if needs be".

Well no... in the main it wasn't available even upstairs... it was down most of the time and even when connected, at best it was slow and the connection kept dropping.

Time and again whilst we were there we heard the owner explaining to guests... "Well it is provided free gratis and what can you expect... we are in Mexico..." or "It's a problem with the provider...".

No Tom... it is your infrastructure, your setup, your failure to pay an ISP for a respectable package...
i. All other networks we connected to in Tulum firstly worked... secondly, worked well... had no speed or performance issues, could deliver web pages at reasonable speeds and had we didn't have to keep re-connecting.
ii. We had five different makes of devices, three phones and two mini-tablets... blackberry, apple, Samsung and Microsoft... all of which had continual problems... so it the problem was not our end...
iii. Networks in Tulum we successfully connected to without issue included... restaurants, bars and other hostels and hotels... located all across town including down at the beach...

You even make excuses in various places verbally and sprawled on reviews sites or hotel paraphernalia... not to include WiFi when reviewing the hotel since it is provided free gratis etc... and yet we didn't pay for WiFi anywhere else in Tulum...

So cut the [--] and either (i) invest in a decent wireless infrastructure OR (ii) don't advertise it... one or the other... my pain is that you made such a thing of it and yet you ride on the back of it dishing out the excuses when someone complains... had you not advertised it we might well have stayed somewhere else... so don't advertise WiFi availability when you do not deliver... and no the mere presence does not count... it should at least stay up for a while and be capable of throwing up the odd web page... no one expects lightning speed in a developing country - whereas your network... well snail mail would be quicker.

Other than that our stay was absolutely fine thank you... although as a final word, I think some of the reviews come across as somewhat sycophantic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PLDSrManagement, Owner at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thanks for your feedback, however I feel the rating you gave me is not warranted.

If your key requirement, when traveling to Tulum is WiFi, then maybe you should have traveled to Cancun, where you are able to book at a large resort, with a commercial network connection. Usually, people that travel to Tulum, do not bring ¨three cell phones and two net books.¨ Usually my guests enjoy this Mexican paradise and cannot be bothered with checking the internet, while on vacation. It is almost a sin to do that! :)

In no way do we boast or brag about our 128 Kbps DSL line. Again, you seem to be forgetting this is a free service. This means, the hotel does not profit off this service, it is an added feature and amenity. Complaining about a free service is like complaining that you did not like the dial-pad on our free room-safes or did not like the color of our free beach towels, the size of our free room fridges and so on. Nowhere on the website or our TA listing, do we claim you get WiFi in the rooms, so this is not false advertisement. In fact, on our TA listing it clearly states ¨WiFi hot-spot.¨

To be fair, I will admit that our internet is sometimes not very stable. This is due to the fact that the internet technology that is offered in Tulum, is not on par with big cities, like London. But for the most part, I can say with confidence, our internet is usually fine for casual web browsing and not slow as ¨snail mail.¨ I actually worked in the IT Network industry for years and I have done what I can do with this network to make it as efficient as possible. Again, we never claimed it worked in the rooms. We have a WiFi hotspot, simple. Also, please keep in mind that if most of our guests were using the internet at the same time, the bandwidth is being limited. You probably tried to access your device at breakfast, when typically everybody is trying to access it. Our network is sort of like a ¨first come, first service¨ basis network--meaning that if you check it at a non-peak time, you´ll have better luck with the speed (again, it is free, and I will stick to this explanation, and it is not an ¨excuse¨ like you claimed. It is fact. ).

Your comment about ¨infrastructure, setup and failure to pay for an ISP respectable package,¨ are invalid. If you were in the know, you would be aware that this is the only package that is offered in Tulum, so do not assume anything before knowing the facts. The only other possible ¨package¨ we could offer is to install a commercial ISDN (which to begin with is outdated and not even that quicker) line, costing our guests $19/ per day (see resort comment above), which we believe to be a joke to charge our guests that much for an internet connection, in 2013.

If you received proper connection rates in ¨hostels, restaurants and at the beach,¨ then chances are these establishments were dead and did not have 24 guests hogging all their bandwidth.

If you experienced slow speeds but you were PAYING for this service, I would understand your complaint, but you were not paying for anything, so you should have been happy to get free internet to begin with, I´m sorry but if roles were reversed, I would be ecstatic to have free internet.

Lastly, if you look at all my reviews, you can clearly see that a tiny % of people actually mention our internet and its speeds.

My best advice for you, if you keep to travel this beautiful world, would be to remember to leave your devices at home. I am sure you would have a more peaceful visit and not be bogged down by technology while visiting this paradise or any other paradise this world has to offer. Sit back, enjoy the surroundings, have a drink. Go and explore the paradise and save those emails for when you get back.

Kindly,
Tom

Been to Posada Luna del Sur? Share your experiences!