“Great spot, great host, great value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Luna del Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Posada Luna del Sur
Calle Luna Sur 5 | Tulum Pueblo, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 74 hotels in Tulum
“Great spot, great host, great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights during our honeymoon before moving on to the beach. It was a great place to stay in town and good launching point for the local excursions we wanted to explore (i.e. Akumel, Chichen Itza, denotes, etc.). The reviews about Tom and his map are not overblown, nor exaggerated. He truly is a helpful resource and it is abundantly clear that he is genuinely devoted to making sure you have a great time in Tulum. His enthusiasm and spirit are infectious. As my husband put it, staying at Posada Luna del Sur is like staying with a friend in town because Tom makes you feel right at home. Since we moved on to a beach front hotel the following week, his map continued to help guide us beyond our stay in the pueblo.

Our room was great--very clean, we loved the towel displays that we found on our bed each night and it is such a bonus to have plenty of drinking water at your disposal. The wifi worked in our room most of the time, though sometimes it was spotty but hey, it's free wifi. The "world class" resort we stayed at in Playa del Carmen was charging 150 pesos a day for wifi so we were just happy to have this free amenity at all.

The main road right outside the hotel can be a bit dodgy to walk on at night (because for one black there's no sidewalk), but we quickly discovered that by walking away from the main road and then cutting back 2 blocks north was a great alternative. It's a very safe area and we were not hassled nor heckled at all.

If we make our way back to Tulum we will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PLDSrManagement, Manager at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hola Erin!

Thanks very much for your review and kind words, it is very much appreciated.
Yup, it is like staying with a friend! I do my very best to help my guests navigate and get the best of what Tulum has to offer.

You are right, Tulum and especially the Pueblo are a great hub for exploring the surrounding areas. Day trips to Chechen Itza, Valladolid, Mahuhal and other surrounding areas are all doable in one day.

I wish you the best on your new marriage and I sincerely hope you come back and visit us next year!

kindly,
Tom :)

697 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We just got back from a trip to Tulum. There were four of us, none of us had been there before and we were naturally a little apprehensive. We stayed at the Posada Luna del Sur because of the great reviews on Trip Advisor and it certainly met and actually exceeded our expectations. The hotel is very well located in Tulum on a rather quiet street. It was easy to walk to shop or eat and we could catch a taxi easily to go to the beach. The people that work at the hotel are super friendly and helpful. It is clean and quiet and cool. I loved coming in everyday from the beach or a trip out of Tulum to see what towel figure was on my bed. Tom is a wonderful host and gave us all sorts of good advice on where to go to the beach, where to eat, what to see and set us up with people that took us where we wanted to go. He helped us plan out every day of our stay and we had an amazing time. All his recommendations were "spot on". We were not disappointed with any. It was really fun because we got to know some of the locals we met through Tom's recommendations. The people in Tulum are warm and friendly and we felt very welcome there. Our trip out of Tulum with our taxi driver (gotten by Tom) to Chichen Itza, Valladolid and Coba was terrific. Our snorkeling and kayaking tours with Antonio and Jessica of Yucatan Outdoors (recommended by Tom) were amazing. We were really happy we chose this hotel in Tulum rather than a hotel on the beach because of Tom and his staff and the variety of activities and restaurants easily available to us. We highly recommend it. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Hi guys just finished my stay here. We booked this place on the basis of great reviews on TA but I now understand that most of the positive feedback really only applies if you have the pleasure of meeting Tom. We didn't, and we felt quite lost in the place where the staff did not speak English and Tom was not around. The rooms are nice and the place is walking distance to most of Tulum town.

Wifi doesn't reach the rooms so you have to go upstairs. Also there was a cockroach in our room one morning.

Tom's map, however, was quite useful so thank you for that

• Stayed August 2013
PLDSrManagement, Manager at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thanks for your review and comments!

You must have stayed here during the 1.5 weeks I was ill and in bed.

Most guests choose my hotel based on the reviews, you are correct. The reviews that state the hotel offers value, quality and service. They most likely do choose the hotel because a fellow named Tom helps, but this is not the sole reason. I would bet the sole reason is the awesome value for money you get staying here. This hotel offers more amenities (including free WiFi, breakfast, parking, concierge service among others) than any other hotel in Tulum. This I am sure of, because I do my homework, it is what I would want if I were staying here. To give me three stars in my opinion because you did not meet me due to an illness out of my control is a bit harsh.

WiFi is a free service. We use standard residential equipment, not commercial grade. We do not charge $19/day for you to check your email or post the latest blurb on Facebook. We believe the internet should be used under our palapa deck, on one of our comfy sofas.

Lastly, you can read all 610 reviews and you will see this is the first review that listed our rooms as having a cockroach. This was clearly an isolated event and was due to the fact that you probably left the patio door open or one perhaps sneaked in when you were entering the room. We are in the jungle here, this is normal. However, this is not a sign of a dirty room or hotel. My hotel is the cleanest in Tulum, I am pretty confident of that. I get fumigators in once a week (more than the standard). The hotel is constructed with concrete walls and there is no way for one to breach your room from the sinks or showers either, because they have special grated drainage systems.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We intended to stay 2 nights, and wound up staying 4. Unless you have no intention of leaving your accommodation, Tulum Pueblo is the place to be (for food/drinks/activities) and this place is stunning. Host Tom was quick and accurate with communication, great for advice and a just a lovely bloke for a general chat - it's not just some acted superficial schtick made to seem like hospitality. The rooms and common rooftop are both perfect, and the staff fantastic. We live on the other side of the world and hope to make it back to stay here again some day.

• Stayed August 2013
PLDSrManagement, Manager at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Hola guys!

Thanks so much for your review, it is much appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here and appreciated what is the lazy, Caribbean, Mayan village of Tulum.

Thanks for the great feedback pertaining to our rooms . My housekeeper Gabriella, who is an ex-head housekeeper at a larger resort up the road, thrives on perfection and cleanliness. I will pass on the word to her!

Tulum is definitely not for everybody, but rather it is reserved for the more adventure orientated traveller or the individual who enjoys learning about culture end exploring an interesting Mayan village and world-class beach.

You are right, I don´t act when it comes to hospitality. I truly try and give you what I feel is the best advice on what to do when you are in my hometown of Tulum. I try and take a raw, no sugar-coating approach to Tulum .I love my job and I love passing on the knowledge and secrets of what this town has to offer!

Thanks again for your comments and hope to see you back here one day!

Best,
Tom
PlayadelCarmen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just wanted everyone to know we had a great time in Tom's place. We looked at staying on the beach as we like the beach and own a condo on the beach in Playa del Carmen, about 40 minutes enough from Tulum. We decided to stay at Tom's place because the price was great and we could see the town of Tulum and drive our rental car to the beach everyday.
We loved everything about Tom's place from the locations, the rooms very clean, with a perfect little private balcony/patio to sit out and either enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine at night, daily breakfast prepared fresh upon order by the nicest and friendly employees. Tom was so helpful and informative with his own words and printed out information for everyone to use. Even though Tom did not feel well he still was there for your service, everyone gets sick, but that did not effect his service. There will always be unhappy people as that is just the nature of some people and they never seem to be happy wherever they go, but please do not let that keep you from making your reservations today for perfect little place in Tulum - Posada del Luna - Owner- Tom. Thank you Tom for a wonderful time at your place. Looking forward to our return next year. Terry

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Maya Beach, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I trusted Trip Advisor when I chose this place and I wasn't disappointed. On first impression we noted that the place sparkled. It was that clean and bright and perfectly appointed.
We met Tom the owner after a deliteful complementary breakfast on the rooftop. There is no doubt that Tom loves what he does and he shows it by being available for answers, suggestions on activities and places to dine and even provides a must have map of Tulum, complete with comments based on personal experience. I would have to give him most of the credit for making our vacation special.
The staff was friendly and helpful. Housekeeping provided us with a daily laugh at seeing the "towel creation" of the day. Breakfast was served by smiling faces, a special treat!
We will definitely be returning to our oasis in Tulum!

Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was our second trip to Tulum. Boy, how things have changed over the last 11 years. We truly enjoyed our stay at Posada Luna del Sur. Tom and the staff were great and helped make sure we enjoyed our time. This is a great location to visit the town of Tulum and all the regional attractions, however, make sure you drive, take a cab, or rent a bike to get to the beach -- too far to walk. All the little extras made this the perfect location for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Posada Luna del Sur? Share your experiences!