“It's like your home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Posada Luna del Sur
Calle Luna Sur 5 | Tulum Pueblo, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 79 Hotels in Tulum
calgary
“It's like your home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Well, where do I start. This hotel is fine, but not extraordinary from the outside. Once you come inside however, it wins you over, in a very comfortable way.
The entire hotel is is immaculate, both in the common areas as well as our room. It's extremely clean, has all the amenities anyone would need, the king size bed is soooo comfortable and is a home away from home at the end of busy day in the Tulum area.
Tom, the owner, is so down to earth, and is the type of person that makes you feel like family, not just another hotel guest. He has a lot of helpful advice, and will make arrangements in renting a bicycle, getting a taxi, where to shop or finding the best guide in the area (all these apply to our stay of 4 nights).
On our early morning departure tour with Antonio of Yucatan Outdoors (whom Tom recommended, and we can't speak more highly of) he had left yogurt, granola and fruit in our fridge in the room, because we were going to miss the amazing free breakfast on the rooftop patio that is included each day of our stay.
Speaking of the rooftop patio, not only is it the place for all the guests to have breakfasts (hot breakfasts like enchiladas and chilaquiles, a bowl of fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, coffee, egg dishes, toast, fresh squeezed orange juice and others) included for free with the room, but to listen to the sounds of Tulum with nice background music from the ipod in the music player. We found it very nice to hang out there as well in the evening, and meet other guests.
On this holiday in the Riviera Maya, my husband and I stayed in 4 hotels over 13 nights from Tulum to Isla Mujeres. This hotel stands out easily as our favourite hotel. We truly hope we can return in the near future!
Gracias, Tom and all the wonderful people at the Posada who made our vacation in Mexico so memorable!
Cynthia and Scott

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are fine, but we had room 7 on the second floor which was perfect!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
Alnwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We appreciated finding ourselves at this Posada after a long journey from UK. Tom was very helpful, and even though we weren't right on the beach it was good to be central which gave easy reach to anywhere else. The breakfast and the service were excellent and lounging on a rooftop sette using free internet and laptop made things even more homely.

Room Tip: Maybe nicer on higher floors where the balconies would have been more private and maybe have views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I can see what this is ranked #1 hotel in Tulum, the room we stayed in was amazing (honeymoon suite) with cool animal shape towels sitting on the bed. Ok let me first describe a few things that I experienced here at the hotel (by the way this is my second time I'm writing this review, for some reason it did not post the first time I wrote it a month ago).

Tom was one of the kindest people I've met during our 1 month trip to Mexico and South America. Here's why.

- The first day we get there, someone on the beach swiped my cheap $5 pair of slippers. I ask Tom where I can buy some new pair, he goes into his room and gives me a brand new pair that he never wore, it was also an expensive brand (not that it matters, but rather the kindess) without hesitation.

- That night I explained that I'm a professional wave photographer and I need to be at the beach at sunrise and if there were any places I could rent a car. He said it was too late but he gave me the keys to his jeep and said I could borrow it. Again, he's known me for a few hours.

- The next day at breakfast Tom was doing his normal rounds talking and helping guests. We spoke briefly and he gave us directions to a nearby ATM machine. He specifically said, "Be sure to press NO when you receive your cash or the ATM machine will keep your card and shred it". I didn't really think anything of it, of course later that day I use the ATM machine and I forget to press the button and the machine takes my card. I rush to Tom and explained what happened, he immediately called a few friends that work in security, banks, he even let me make long distance calls to my bank in Hawaii. Unfortunately he was right, the ATM machines really do shred your card.

- Christmas Day I got really sick, we were at a different hotel and we called Tom (he was our go to person for anything, even when we were at a different hotel!) My wife was very concerned because I was really sick. Tom came over 20 minutes later with a bag of gatorade, medicine, food, etc... He made a special call to a doctor who prescribed a stomach medicine to help my conditions.

I could go on and on, but the point is that Tom goes above and beyond for ALL of his guests and makes them feel very welcome. The rooms are clean, comfortable and very nice, but most of all the service is 5 star.

Thank You Tom, we were so honored to stay at your hotel and experience your awesome hospitality. We also made a great new friend.

Mahalo

Kenji

Room Tip: Request the Honeymoon Suite, it's awesome!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Mateo, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I unfortunately got the flu for the first week of my first trip to Mexico. Fortunately, I spent most of that time at Posada Luna del Sur. It would have been really easy for me to get all negative about it, but Tom was so nice and helpful. His recommendations of things to do, places to eat, etc were all spot on. Even in my diminished capacity I still had a really good time. I can't wait to have a chance to do it again.. without being sick. Of all the places I stayed on my trip this is the only one I'd book again without a second thought.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

An economical and refreshingly authentic alternative to staying directly on the beach, Posada Luna del Sur surpassed all of my expectations, even after reading the many positive reviews on this site. Tom was a gracious, attentive and all around excellent host/guide/hotelier.
the rooms were clean and simple, the location is great and close to many well priced restaurants. The included breakfast every morning is fabulous and the rooftop is a beautiful place to start your day every morning.
Above all, what stands out the most is the value of this hotel for the price point, and the impeccable service that Tom provides. He bent over backwards to ensure that me and my girlfriend had an enjoyable stay, helping us with an impromptu laundry run, and helping my girlfriend get some cold medicine when she was getting sick.
The experience was such a positive one that I have decided to write my first ever trip advisor review--this one, in recognition of a great overall experience at Posada Luna del Sur.
We will be going back to Tulùm within the next few years at least once, and when we do, we will be staying at Posada Luna Del Sur

Thanks Tom!!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

First of all forget other places to stay in Tulum, this is the only place you should consider.
Posada Luna del sur is cheap, clean comfortable and safe and makes a great place for you to explore the neighbouring sites and sounds surrounding this incredibly beautiful spot of the world.
So what makes it so good? Well let me tell you...
The rooms are large, with a massive bed, shower room kitchenette and your own little patio or balcony. Each room comes with a coffee perculator and a batch of excellent local Mexican coffee. Like I have mentioned before, the rooms are excellently maintained and cleaned, and each day a new (and sometimes scary) animal will have been created using the room towels by the cleaning staff. Each morning an amazing breakfast is served and I mainly dined on the myriad of Mexican specials that were on offer and now have the expanded gut to show for it.
Now what makes this hotel stand out from being just a good hotel is, like others here have said is the owner Tom. He is passionate about the surrounding area, and my advice to you is put down your Lonely Planet guide and listen to him. He will give you his own personalised map with his own favourite beach spots away from the crowds, local restaurant picks ranging from the pricey gourmets to the local musts, where to see Turtles, what tours to take, when to go and a what time the tourists will not be in every photo you have of that Ruin you really wanted to see. It's like having your own personalised guide that you pay no extra money for. He really made our stay in Tulum a little bit more special and for that I thank him.
The location is right at the end of the main road of Tulum (Tulum is basically a main road with businesses located down either side, with a road at the Play Del Carmen end leading to the beautiful beach) it's a 10 minute walk to the end of the road from the hotel and around a 60 Peso cab to the beach or alternatively you could hire a bike.
My wife and I stayed here for 10 days and I haven't relaxed so much in a long time. Yes it's not on the beach, but what you lack in beautiful beach views is more than made up by the absolutely superb level of service that Posada Luna del sur provides.
So if your still looking for somewhere to stay in Tulum, stay here. You wont be disappointed.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Tom is an amazing host!

Both he and his staff are kind, honest and gracious! Everyone was so helpful from start to finish and he was beyond responsive around all communications even though we were booking our stay during an insanely busy time of the year (our's was the last room available at the time of booking).

He generously accommodated an additional guest for breakfast one morning. And by the way...breakfast was UH-MAZING! I've never had an included breakfast be a delicious feast of made to order local produce! I was shocked that a high quality breakfast like that could ever be included (and I'm a snobby vegan who grew up in California ;)

And when I forgot a favorite white bikini of mine at the hotel after I had departed he was able to contact his housekeeper who had already put it in a safe place ready to be found. If that wasn't already awesome enough he even offered to FedEx my suit back to me in the States!! Huh?! Yeah!!!!

Book your stay here knowing you will be in excellent hands that genuinely care about the quality of your experience. The location is perfectly situated in the center of Tulum town, never too loud but everything just close enough.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Posada Luna del Sur? Share your experiences!