“The hotel itself is really nice, but the owners and staff (and breakfast) really make this place awesome.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Luna del Sur

Save Saved
You added Posada Luna del Sur to your Saves list
Posada Luna del Sur
Calle Luna Sur 5 | Tulum Pueblo, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 76 Hotels in Tulum
San Mateo, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I unfortunately got the flu for the first week of my first trip to Mexico. Fortunately, I spent most of that time at Posada Luna del Sur. It would have been really easy for me to get all negative about it, but Tom was so nice and helpful. His recommendations of things to do, places to eat, etc were all spot on. Even in my diminished capacity I still had a really good time. I can't wait to have a chance to do it again.. without being sick. Of all the places I stayed on my trip this is the only one I'd book again without a second thought.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

An economical and refreshingly authentic alternative to staying directly on the beach, Posada Luna del Sur surpassed all of my expectations, even after reading the many positive reviews on this site. Tom was a gracious, attentive and all around excellent host/guide/hotelier.
the rooms were clean and simple, the location is great and close to many well priced restaurants. The included breakfast every morning is fabulous and the rooftop is a beautiful place to start your day every morning.
Above all, what stands out the most is the value of this hotel for the price point, and the impeccable service that Tom provides. He bent over backwards to ensure that me and my girlfriend had an enjoyable stay, helping us with an impromptu laundry run, and helping my girlfriend get some cold medicine when she was getting sick.
The experience was such a positive one that I have decided to write my first ever trip advisor review--this one, in recognition of a great overall experience at Posada Luna del Sur.
We will be going back to Tulùm within the next few years at least once, and when we do, we will be staying at Posada Luna Del Sur

Thanks Tom!!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

First of all forget other places to stay in Tulum, this is the only place you should consider.
Posada Luna del sur is cheap, clean comfortable and safe and makes a great place for you to explore the neighbouring sites and sounds surrounding this incredibly beautiful spot of the world.
So what makes it so good? Well let me tell you...
The rooms are large, with a massive bed, shower room kitchenette and your own little patio or balcony. Each room comes with a coffee perculator and a batch of excellent local Mexican coffee. Like I have mentioned before, the rooms are excellently maintained and cleaned, and each day a new (and sometimes scary) animal will have been created using the room towels by the cleaning staff. Each morning an amazing breakfast is served and I mainly dined on the myriad of Mexican specials that were on offer and now have the expanded gut to show for it.
Now what makes this hotel stand out from being just a good hotel is, like others here have said is the owner Tom. He is passionate about the surrounding area, and my advice to you is put down your Lonely Planet guide and listen to him. He will give you his own personalised map with his own favourite beach spots away from the crowds, local restaurant picks ranging from the pricey gourmets to the local musts, where to see Turtles, what tours to take, when to go and a what time the tourists will not be in every photo you have of that Ruin you really wanted to see. It's like having your own personalised guide that you pay no extra money for. He really made our stay in Tulum a little bit more special and for that I thank him.
The location is right at the end of the main road of Tulum (Tulum is basically a main road with businesses located down either side, with a road at the Play Del Carmen end leading to the beautiful beach) it's a 10 minute walk to the end of the road from the hotel and around a 60 Peso cab to the beach or alternatively you could hire a bike.
My wife and I stayed here for 10 days and I haven't relaxed so much in a long time. Yes it's not on the beach, but what you lack in beautiful beach views is more than made up by the absolutely superb level of service that Posada Luna del sur provides.
So if your still looking for somewhere to stay in Tulum, stay here. You wont be disappointed.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Tom is an amazing host!

Both he and his staff are kind, honest and gracious! Everyone was so helpful from start to finish and he was beyond responsive around all communications even though we were booking our stay during an insanely busy time of the year (our's was the last room available at the time of booking).

He generously accommodated an additional guest for breakfast one morning. And by the way...breakfast was UH-MAZING! I've never had an included breakfast be a delicious feast of made to order local produce! I was shocked that a high quality breakfast like that could ever be included (and I'm a snobby vegan who grew up in California ;)

And when I forgot a favorite white bikini of mine at the hotel after I had departed he was able to contact his housekeeper who had already put it in a safe place ready to be found. If that wasn't already awesome enough he even offered to FedEx my suit back to me in the States!! Huh?! Yeah!!!!

Book your stay here knowing you will be in excellent hands that genuinely care about the quality of your experience. The location is perfectly situated in the center of Tulum town, never too loud but everything just close enough.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is close to good, inexpensive restaurants. Also, it is easy to get a taxi to the beautiful beach where you can spend the day at one of the clubs. Much cheaper than staying on the beach. Rooms were very large and clean. The big fridge was great. Also, breakfast was excellent.

The owner was very helpful. For example, he arranged our onward transportation ahead of time because I was concerned that the bus would be full. He had lots of recommendations for places to visit. The Grand Cenote was wonderful.

Room Tip: Room 12 was slightly apart...large and quiet.
Rogers, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

What more can I say than others have not??? It is all true!
Amazing customer service, best breakfast in town, great design from the rooftop garden to the rooms, great location - a short taxi ride from the beach. Make sure you use Tom's recommendations on tours and local places to go. Most of all, it is the owner who makes the place special. I will be back hopefully with my baby next time!
Tom, thank you for the green tea :-) and hope to see you again.

Room Tip: All rooms are good rooms. You will stay mostly on the beach or on the rooftop garden so rooms really...
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Like many visitors to Tulum, we debated a long time whether to stay on the beach vs. in town. We heard the beach was more "romantic" but also more rustic with mosquitoes and limited electricity/running water, whereas the town had better restaurants but wasn't particularly charming. Ultimately, we decided to stay three nights in town at the Posada Luna del Sur. We are SO glad that we did, since this was one of the best places we've stayed recently.

Location (4/5): The hotel is at the western end of the main Tulum strip. However, since Tulum is really small and the strip is only 1-1.5 km long, we were always only about a 5-15 minute walk away from anywhere we wanted to go. We did have some trouble finding the hotel since the road Luna Sur is not labeled and can only be accessed from one side of the road. If you're coming from Cancun or from Coba, you will have to make a U-turn and then turn right onto Lona Sur. We were eventually able to figure this out just by programming Luna Sur into our Garmin GPS.

Rooms/facilities (4/5): we had a king room on the 1st floor (the second floor is the suites). The room had a comfortable king-sized bed (completely with daily towel animal from the housekeeper), a small kitchenette with a fridge and some cutlery/plates/cups, drinking water, outside porch, and air conditioning, The bathroom had good water pressure and enough hot water to take a decent shower. Sleep quality was excellent as the hotel is quiet, and we had no concerns about safety. Unfortunately, we could not get wireless in the room (which I hope the hotel eventually corrects), but there is a really nice rooftop lounge where wireless is readily available. Other minor gripes: there was no full-length mirror, and some of the cups looked like they needed a little re-washing when we arrived.

Breakfast (4/5): from 8-10 am, the hotel serves a free breakfast on the rooftop lounge. You can order as much as you want off the menu, including the special of the day (usually a Mexican dish like huevos rancheros), American egg dishes, toast, granola, and fruit. The server spoke passable English, though she often forgot to bring out parts of our order. Make sure to bring some money to tip the server and chef.

Service (5/5): here is where the Posada really excels and earns a five-star overall rating. While it's true that there is no "reception" desk per se, the friendly staff are on-site from around 8A-5P and the owner Tom lives in a room next to the the rooftop lounge. Tom is a Houston native and has owned the hotel for a few years. He's the type of person who was designed to be in the hospitality business - not only is he genuine friendly and gregarious, but he is also a extremely invested in making sure that guests get the most of out of their experience in Tulum. To achieve this, he gives personalized itinerary advice to each guest and provides a very useful annotated map highlighting all of his favorite places in the area. Based on his advice and map, we were able to find two of the best restaurants in Tulum (Cetli and Altamar), an excellent nearby taco stand, and a phenomenal beach club. Just as important, we were able to avoid the many over-priced, mediocre restaurants in town or on the beach. Talking with Tom allowed us to travel like a local and dramatically enhanced our Tulum experience.

Value (5/5): the other highlight of the hotel is its value. Tulum is not a cheap place to stay by any means, particularly during high season. This hotel was one of the most affordable places in town, and considering everything we got (personalized service, good room, full breakfast), the price was a bargain.

Conclusion - there's a reason this hotel is recommended in all of the guidebooks and is #1 on TripAdvisor. It is definitely not for people who are looking for luxury accommodations or beachside views, but it is a perfect place for people looking for great service and value in their accommodation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Posada Luna del Sur? Share your experiences!