“Amazing!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Luna del Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Posada Luna del Sur
Calle Luna Sur 5 | Tulum Pueblo, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 73 hotels in Tulum
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to Tulum for Christmas this year, and found Posada Luna del Sur here on tripadvisor. The glowing reviews of this place won us over, and we were not let down! Tom, the manager/owner on site was AMAZING! He was there every day to check in with us during the complimentary breakfast [ which was fantastic! ]. And he was always there to give his secret tips for all of the amazing spots to go in and around Tulum. We would have been lost without him and his amazing map, with all his favorite spots highlighted on it. When we arrived, he gave us a fantastic overview of all the things to do, and recommended places just for us based on the type of vacation we wanted. The room was great! Clean, and right in the center of town, and the best taco cart in town is just around the corner!

We can't wait to go back!

Thanks to the amazing staff!!

684 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I loved this hotel.

The staff and owner are excellent. Upon arrival, you are shown to your room and provided with excellent information about the surrounding sights. We received lots of helpful recommendations for places to eat.

Every morning we were treated to a fresh, made to order breakfast on the rooftop terrace. Hygiene standards are excellent. I loved the personal touch of this place, much better than some of the other places in this area which feel more commercialised.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days. We saw that they had great reviews, so we got lucky and they had one room left. The whole experience of our stay was beyond what we expected. I don't even know where to start. First of all, the service is better than staying at a Four Seasons Resort. Tom made us feel like family. He is such an amazing genuine person and these days, that's hard to find. The rooms are very clean and spacious. Every day Gabriella will make an animal out of your towels. It adds such a nice touch. The daily breakfast that is served on the terrace is delicious!! You don't want to miss out on this and yes, it's included. The location is great and you can walk to all the nearby restaurants and bars. Rent a bike to go to the beach though. It's a nice path. My husband got his slippers stolen at the beach and Tom was so gracious enough to give him a brand new pair of slippers he so happen to have. Kinda funny! Then, the ATM took our debit card and Tom had has his friend call the bank to see if we could get it back. (Make sure you get your ATM card back after getting your money. This happens a lot) We had to checkout of the hotel an go to another hotel due to the high demand of this hotel. We were so bummed. My husband then got really sick and Tom generously came to our hotel to give him medication that he went on got at the pharmacy on Christmas evening. We weren't even staying at his hotel, but you can see what a kind hearted person he is. We are so happy to have met a friend that we will always stay in touch with and remember. If you're wondering if this is the hotel for you, you have no idea what an amazing place this is and how great Tom is.

• Stayed December 2012
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Posada Luna del Sur and would not hesitate to recommend to everyone this cosy and beautiful place with excellent staff and service. The hotel is in great location, walking distance to the City center, the rooms are clean and quiet, breakfast is excellent made from fresh domestic ingredients, the host Tom is very friendly and helpful, providing very useful information about Tulum, where to go, where to eat, etc. We truly enjoyed our stay there!

Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Posada Luna del Sur is an excellent choice for a very comfortable place to stay in the Pueblo of Tulum. Tom, Luis, Gabrielle, Brenda, the entire staff are so incredibly warm, welcoming, responsive and accommodating. The rooms are comfortable and spotlessly clean. The rooftop terrace is a great place to start your day with the fantastic breakfast and to spend your afternoon siesta. The kitchen staff and their food are excellent - the menu leaves nothing to be desired (fresh fruit, fresh OJ, hot and cold, big and small choices) and the fresh, local daily breakfast specials are a treat. Tom's orientation to the area and recommendations are excellent and he will go out of his way to make you comfortable in every way. Take a trip with his recommended tour guide, Antonio with Yucatan Outdoors, sooner rather than later so that you have time for a second trip with his outfit during your stay. It's also so nice to be situated in the town of Tulum, which is alive, safe, and entirely walkable, and the people so generous and kind. The beach area is lovely, close and convenient, but for those who want more of an authentic and balanced experience, the town of Tulum, and Posada Luna del Sur, is an excellent option.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
PLDSrManagement, Manager at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Hola Cat and Virginia!

Thanks so much for your inspiring words! The praise for my staff was so very much appreciated! My staff work extremely hard and take as much pride as I do in this hotel. I am blessed to have such a talented and friendly staff. I have passed on your words and they are thrilled they were personally mentioned by you in a review! The great thing about my staff is that they love what they do and it really shows!

It was a pleasure meeting you both and hearing your interesting travel stories and experiences under the palapa rooftop lounge.

I am thrilled you equally enjoyed Antonio´s tours! He is no doubt the best tour guide in the Mayan Riviera and definitely the best value as well, and this is backed up by his perfect Trip Advisor rating.

I look forward to hopefully seeing you back in Tulum one day... I will be waiting =)

Warm Wishes,
TOM
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I would like to keep this hotel a secret in case of future availability problems for our return - but I could not keep myself from writing a review...
Firstly - make no mistake - it is not a 5 * luxury all inclusive type or feel. So, if you expect that sort of accommodation I would look elsewhere. It attracts the discerning/savvy traveler who enjoys being part of the local culture and way of life.
The Posada is on a quiet side street in Tulum Pueblo. I MUCH preferred staying in this location rather than on the beach. We took a taxi most days which was approx £7 return. Took 5 - 10 mins. Very easy to get as there are lots all over the place. The beach hotels are more expensive for meals and drinks. We would spend the days there and enjoy leaving the evening mozzies behind and return to Tulum itself. Very glad we did not hire a car as it would have worked out far far more expensive.
The Posada itself is gorgeous. It is tastefully decorated with thought behind. Also very clean indeed.
Tom the owner is wonderful. And so are all his attentive staff. Without exception. he will tell you everything you need to know - and more...He is like a bible and I would swear he would go to the end of the world and back to help you.
The breakfasts are incredible. We miss them terribly! The mole is so much more superior than the famous 'Cetli' mole sauce. Be brave on the first day and have the Mexican special rather than the Full English...
We found the beaches, Pueblo, and The Posada very safe. No issues whatsoever.
Favourite restaurants were Altamar, El Asadero, el Camello, Ginger and Charlies. Stunning in their own different ways. Disappointed with Cetli.
Value for money is exceptional. 10 out of 10.
So, that's it in short.
Finally Tom has strong Welsh roots - so

Ymwelwch a'r gwesty hyfryd hwn.
Mi fyddwch ym mharadwys.
Yn brofiad bythgofiadwy...

Room Tip: We had room 7 - which was great...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Elaine and Francis!

Thank you very much for your review! It was a pleasure meeting you and hosting you last month! Reviews like yours are spot on and we thank you for taking the time to write one! We would like to thank you for your compliments regarding your take on the hotel´s value, a perfect 10 score! Value is so important to us and we want all of our guests to get the best possible value we can offer, as well as offer delicious value orientated restaurants and private independent tours. We believe in offering more amenities, clean and comfortable rooms, combined with a great breakfast and a personal service unmatched; all for what we think is the best value south of Cancun! We will NEVER use the term ¨eco chic¨ as an excuse to cut corners on quality and value.

We thank you for your stay and until next time, teithio yn hapus!!! =)

Warm Wishes,
TOM
tacoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I feel terrible that I am just now remembering to write this review since it has been months. As I was recommending hotels to my in-laws I realized I had forgotten... Hopefully Tom will forgive me :)

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon after we got sick of the all-inclusive in Playa del Carmen. This place was a restful relief after spending a week in that tourist trap. We just showed up on Tom's doorstep and he gave us a nice room. He even went and got us champagne for our first night there. He has created a map with all the best vendors and sites. He can recommend wonderful tours with Antonio to the wildlife preserve. It is funny though, what we enjoyed most was renting bikes for riding through town and to Tulum. The shop Tom recommended for that was great as well. I wish we had stayed there instead of Playa del Carmen for the whole time so we could have tried more of the dining suggestions he had. He also took our clothes to the laundry for a very reasonable charge. This kind of hospitality is so appreciated since sometimes you can feel like other places are trying to rip you off because you are a tourist. Tom does not, and he loves this area and wants you to be able to enjoy it as he has. Thanks Tom, you were the highlight of our honeymoon.

• Stayed May 2012
PLDSrManagement, Manager at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hola from beautiful Tulum! Thanks for leaving your review, it is very much appreciated and I am thrilled that you said I was the highlight of your honeymoon! Well, don´t mention it, as it is my job and duty to do my best and make sure that all my guests experience the absolute best of what Tulum has to offer. The advice I give is very unique to this hotel, I do not go with the flow like other hotels and supply you with obvious info or stuff that is easily found on TA or other websites, I like to give you the hidden secrets and such! Like you said I absolutely love Tulum and enjoy passinng on the info I have discovered here! Thanks again, and I wish you guys years of happiness and congratulations on your marriage once again! Come back and visit us on your anniversary! I will be waiting :) Warm Wishes, TOM

Been to Posada Luna del Sur? Share your experiences!