“Great people, Great location & Great Hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Posada Luna del Sur
Calle Luna Sur 5 | Tulum Pueblo, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 79 Hotels in Tulum
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Great people, Great location & Great Hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

My wife and I have spent time in Tulum before and we were excited to spend our time this year with Posada Luna hotel/B&B.

Posada Luna del Sur, Marty and Sarah were a lethal combination. Personality, charm, comfort and convenience (and that's just the rooms!). We even got a special greeting upon arrival from Jacko the family lab. (he's a sweetie).

From the moment we arrived, Sarah was very nice and very helpful in giving us meal ideas and locations of anything we could ever think of needing in the town and surrounding areas, (ask about the best steak house) thank you Sarah. Then we got to meet Marty, what can I say about this guy that hasn't been said already...all round good guy, helpful, accommodating and to think he is a Habs fan.( solid brother).

The hotel was charming, very nice large rooms, clean ( thank you Gabby), nice kitchenette, large purified water, coffee, fridge etc. ( great idea). Beds are very comfortable and the grounds and tropical gardens are wonderful. We sat on our balcony most early mornings and late evenings, very relaxing spot. Each morning we were greeted upstairs on the roof top patio with a fantastic large breakfast ( thanks Pepe and Ricardo ) eggs (anyway), french toast (maple syrup), cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, toast, juice, and coffee. Trust me, you don't need anything else.

The location of the hotel is just right. Your in town but only five minutes from anything. Posada Luna del Sur, Marty and Sarah and the staff make you feel like your home, what a relaxing beautiful stay and people. Thank you very much guys, and you know we'll be back!

And for you the people who are reading this review, Go, book it, and trust me, you will be glad you did!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
Nakusp, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

There isn't too much left to say. All the positive accolades have been used by other guests. Marty and Sarah are the consummate host and hostess. They are cheerful, positive and help you in any way they can from recommending good restaurants, giving direction to tourists sites and calling honest taxi drivers for you.

The rooms are a good size, spotlessley clean with a very comy king size bed and soft pillows. Each room has a 29L container of purified water, a kitchenette with an adequate size fridge, a sink, and dishes and cutlery. We had a small patio off our room with a bistro size table and chairs which overlooked a beautiful tropical garden. All rooms are air conditioned which is an absolute must.

Every morning we feasted in fresh fruit..mango, papaya, pineapple,watermelon and drank fresh orange juice.There was also toast , granola yoghurt, and a special hot breakfast which changed daily,huevos rancheros, omellettes, pancakes ,french toast etc.

We can't forget about about the wonderful staff. Kudos to Gabby the housekeeper who keeps the place immaculate and who creates the most unusual towel designs. Pepe and Ricardo for their culinary skills and Rafael the night watchman who kept us safe.

The roof top patio cover with a huge palapa was a wonderful place to relax at the end of the day and meet new friends and learn about their travelling adventures. There is a well stocked bar for the guests which operates on the honour system. What a wonderful idea !

Room Tip: We loved our room #5 on the ground floor.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

We were in Tulum for a wedding and had never been to Mexico before so we of course checked all the hotels with Trip Advisor. After reading all the positive reviews of Posada Luna Del Sur we decided that it would be the best place for us. How right you were, it was lovely and charming and the owners were most gracious and accommodating. The room was clean, air conditioned with a nice size fridge. There is purified water in every room and wifi as well. It is located right in town so it was fun to walk around and get a taste of the local flavor. A short taxi ride brought us to the most glorious beaches. After a day at the beach, it was great to be able to go back to a clean, air conditioned room. It also included a wonderful breakfast in the morning on the rooftop with the best fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee, a delicious breakfast du jour and advice from our friendly hosts, Sarah and Marty. I would highly recommend this place, you won't be disappointed! Thank you again!

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I traveled here on our way down to Belize to visit a friend in the Peace Corp. We were there for a few nights and had such a phenomenal experience that on our way back from Belize we chose to stay at Posada Luna del Sur for our last night instead of staying closer to the airport. Sarah and Martin are WONDERFUL- our first afternoon there Sarah brought a map and circled all the restaurants that were worth our time as well as outlining all the worthwhile attractions to do in town and outside of it. When we mentioned we wanted to visit the ruins, Martin was able to negotiate an amazing rental car rate for us so we wouldn't have to deal with cabs all day.

The hotel itself is small and clean and has a very homey feel to it (the maid makes the most amazing animals out of bath towels I've ever seen). They serve breakfast up on the roof every morning (complimentary) and it's delicious- local dishes, cereal, fruit, pastries and Sarah and Martin and their adorable dog are there to help with any questions you have.

The hotel is right in town, so you really get to experience authentic Mexican culture and it's only a 10 minute cab ride from the beach. I cannot say enough good things about Sarah and Martin and the entire staff who truly took our trip to the next level with their hospitality and friendliness. I will absolutely be back and I wouldn't stay anywhere else after the service we received here. Tulum is officially my new favorite destination in all of Mexico.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, Wash.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

This was our second time staying at Posada Luna del Sur. It just gets better with each visit! The hotel has changed ownership since we were first there in March 2009. We didn't think it could be better or more welcoming than the first time.Boy! were we wrong! Martin was on his own, while Sarah was visiting in Montreal and, he was the most easy-going, congenial and welcoming host we've ever had the pleasure of staying with! The roof-top breakfast area is bright, airy and spacious...what a lovely spot to start your day! Once again, our room was bright, charming and spotlessly clean. Martin helped organzie a terrific tour to Sian Ka'an which was a highlight to our trip to Tulum. We are definitely going back to Posada Luna Del Sur, hopefully, next year!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Tulum is a town for people who want to get out of the highly Americanized Cancun area. If you are looking for local flavor, I think that you will get that at Luna del Sur in Tulum. I don't think I will stay anywhere else in my future visits to the area.

I took my dad on vacation to Posada Luna del Sur because I had read good reviews on TripAdvisor about the place. I'm glad I gave them a call! Sarah helped me to book my stay and Marty was there throughout our visit. Marty had great tips on how to get around, where to eat, and sights to see in and around Tulum. He helped us figure out trips to Akumal and Coba, which ended up being extra special days. He is incredibly knowledgeable, friendly, entertaining.
The rooms were very comfortable and had everything we needed. I liked to hotel's location since it was conveniently located just off the main road. It is within walking distance to everything in town and a taxi ride or bike ride away from the beach. On a side note, I took the ADO into town and it was about a 10 minute walk south to get to the hotel. Not bad!
The breakfasts were delicious and filling. There was a hot selection with several variations of it (Omlette vegetarian/meat/ cheese for instance) along with fresh cut fruits like mango, pineapple, and watermelon, as well as yogurt, bread, nutella etc. The guys making your breakfast are personable and they helped give me tips on local Tulum too. Another added bonus is that there was a large container of drinking water in our rooms that kept our costs down since we didn't have to purchase bottles on our own.
I feel like I am missing my family now that I left. Marty and the other men and women working at Luna del Sur are fabulous people that are genuine and welcoming. The other guests and the staff at Luna del Sur make it feel like a second home too. I'm already trying to figure out my next trip.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

I just returned from 5 nights at Posada Luna Del Sur and I wish I was sitting on the rooftop palapa right now. Marty was waiting for me to arrive and gave me warm, gracious and informative welcome. He had great recommendations for meals and for getting around to cultural attractions. The breakfasts, included with stay, were excellent. The rooms were large, clean, and very nicely appointed. Balconies overlooking a little garden were very quaint as well. Most importantly, before my arrival, Sarah recommended a terrific dive company (Halocline Diving). Once I saw some of the rival dive companies, and how slack they were regarding safety, I was happy that she pointed me in the right direction. I had a truly wonderful stay and will be back.

Room Tip: room 6 at the far end of the hotel was quiet
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Posada Luna del Sur? Share your experiences!