“Picture Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 77 Hotels in Tulum
Los Angeles
“Picture Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

Absolutely fantastic! This hotel is much more than I expected and extremely reasonably priced. If you are in Tulum, I highly recommend this hotel. The owners, Janet and Jack are very warm, friendly and helpful. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

My husband and I wanted to spend a weekend in Tulum whilst we're living in another part of the Yucatan, and I didn't want to have any problems during the stay so I looked on tripadvisor to check out some reviews of local hotels. Posada Luna Del Sur was rated #1 in Tulum, so I booked, and now I know why it's #1!

We were greeted by Janet when we arrived at 9.30pm on Thursday and she took us to one of the ground-floor rooms. Where do I start.. the room itself was just lovely, we had a huge king-sized bed, air-con, ceiling fans, a little kitchen area with a sink, a fridge and breakfast bar, plenty of storage space, a sink, and a bathroom with a shower and hot water. The towels had also been beautifully arranged into the shape of swan by Jesus, the house-keeper (another day it was an elephant and another day a little girl!).

Janet then gave us a map of the town of Tulum and marked all of the restaurants and cafes that she recommended for breakfast and dinner, the bank, as well as areas of the coast that she recommended. She also suggested some day-trips that we might like to make, including a visit to the Tulum ruins, to go to Akumal to go snorkelling and see turtles and fish, to visit the Cenotes close by... and whenever we had a question, Janet and Jack welcomed us into their apartment upstairs and discussed their ideas with us. I really couldn't have asked for a better service!

The only thing that people might consider a downside is the location, and the fact that it's not right on the beach - you need to take a taxi for 45 pesos ($USD4.50, or 2.30 pounds) to get to the beach. However, I personally liked being right in the town with the shops and a great choice of restaurants and cafes and considering how much money you save by staying in town and the quality of the room and service at Posada Luna Del Sur, I didn't see it as much of an inconvenience getting a taxi to the beach in the morning and then getting one back at sunset. I did consider the possibility of staying in a hotel or cabaña near the beach but some of the reviews complained about the bad service, the bugs and the lack of air-con.. and the prices are generally quite a bit higher. Also, if you want to visit areas in and around Tulum, such as the Cenotes, the ruins or go to other towns nearby such as Akumal, Xcalak, Playa Del Carmen etc. it is more convenient to be located in the town.

To conclude, all I can say is that, if you don't mind taking a taxi to the beach, you will have no complaints at all if you stay at Posada Luna Del Sur!

• Liked — The room, the service, the hosts, everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

I decided to stay at Posada after reading some reviews on Travelocity and am incredibly grateful I did. I was in Tulum for a wedding and while most all the other guests stayed at a "rustic" beach side resort without a/c, electricity, or fresh water , which cost twice as much as Posada, I got to spend time with 2 of the most wonderful people in Tulum (Jack and Janet), get an insider scoop on activities, and feel as though I had found a temporary home away from home. Each and everyone of the wedding guests who saw my room and met Janet and Jack were literally green with envy. Janet and Jack are wonderful people and hosts ... if you stay at Posada definitely take the time to talk with them! And I can't forget Jesus ... everyday I came back to Posada to his ingenious towel animals and a spotlessly clean room. The love and care that the three of them put into Posada is palpable. Posada is definitely an oasis in the middle of the Mexican Riviera. I will never stay anywhere but Posada Luna del Sur when I return to the riviera!

• Liked — The owners
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at Posada Luna del Sur in the beginning of September and had a fantastic stay. Janet and Jack were absolutely fabulous -- extremely helpful and great to talk to! The hotel is small but very cute and although it doesn't have a pool, it's just a 5-minute drive to the beaches (btw, Paraiso is definitely the best on that stretch). In addition to the extremely reasonable rate, staying at the hotel in town encouraged us to walk around at night and go to some great restaurants (per Janet's recommendations). Overall, it's a great place to stay -- highly recommended!

• Liked — Owners, value for money
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

I recently returned from my second stay at Posada Luna del Sur and was nothing but thrilled with my experience yet again! Janet and Jack never failed to make us feel completely welcome at the hotel and our room was spotless thanks to the amazing Jesus! Aside from being warm and welcoming, Janet and Jack have taken the time to eat at the restaurants and visit the beaches so that all their recommendations are outstanding. Janet graciously booked our cenote tour and directed us to amazing snorkling sites. The new addition of a continental breakfast allows guests to meet, compare experiences, and drink good coffee which can be hard to find in Tulum! I have already begun thinking about my next trip in 2008 and will not consider staying at any hotel other than Posada Luna del Sur. It's location, affordability, and most of all Janet and Jack, make it the perfect place to spend vacation.

• Liked — Hosts, location, value
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Posada Luna del Sur back in November 2006. We loved our room and found it to be very spacious and spotlessly clean! It was also great having a a little patio area outside with chairs and a table and a kitchen area. The owner was very sweet and told us about some great restaurants to visit in the town. She was very helpful. I couldn't fault anything about the room it was cleaned daily and the bed was so comfortable. This place is a bargain too and ok so maybe its not right near the beach but the beach is a 5 minute drive away in the car so nothing to complain about. We had some bad rain when we stayed here so was handy being so close to the bus terminal so we could get out and see Chitzen itsa and a couple of the other towns. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The comfy bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

Tulum was our favorite city in our Yucatan vacation adventure, in large part to Jack, Janet, Jesus and the Posada Luna del Sur. They were so genuine and nice and gave us the best advice on exchanging traveller's checks, where to eat, where to go, how much things should cost, etc.

Also the beaches in Tulum were just gorgeous.

Stayed August 2007

Been to Posada Luna del Sur? Share your experiences!