“Dream honeymoon realized” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Tulum
Los Angeles, California
“Dream honeymoon realized”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Most of the glowing words of adoration I could pour forth regarding The Beach have already been shared by other reviewers who had wonderful experiences - a testament to the staff and establishment (I've also never posted anything on TripAdvisor, but The Beach was so great that I had to do it!)

My wife and I could not have envisioned a more perfect place for our honeymoon. Neither of us had been to Tulum previously and The Beach truly welcomed us and made our stay something we will treasure forever.

Highlights:
-Rooms: huge, spotlessly clean, beach access (also: we could spend a whole week sitting on the rooftop patio watching pelicans and other assorted ocean birds cruise back and forth along the coastline with the trees rustling)

-Location: Convenient for Ziggy's (great food) and other restaurants (Recommendations from The Beach staff to check out Hartwood and Simple did not disappoint). The water the property fronts is perfect (bonus: the fresh water springs that bubble up just off shore)

-Staff: Always 100% ready to help with a smile - recommendations, explanations, stories. (During our stay Neri, Silvina, Juan, Abraham, Leonardo and Jose Luis all really made impressions!)

Randoms:
-Crabs crossing from the mangroves to the ocean through Ziggy's during dinner kept me absurdly entertained (I admit a level of simple-mindedness, but I attribute my bemusement of the nightly crossings to my level of relaxation). Perhaps not as majestic as turtles laying eggs, but hey- those crabs got personality!

-Don't forget your sunscreen: we were lazy and decided to purchase it from Ana y Jose. Pricey mistake.

-Don't skip a Cenote tour.

Thank you thank you thank you to everyone at The Beach...we can't wait to return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at The Beach Tulum, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for spending your honeymoon with us and for leaving such a wonderful review. It makes our day to know that we exceeded your expectations and that you had such an memorable time at our Beach resort.
We hope to welcome you back next year for your first anniversary or whenever you can come back to beautiful Tulum!

Gracias

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My wife & I stayed at the end of December, our first stay in Tulum. Although we had a great experience, (for the most part), the "high season" room rate price hike left us feeling a bit let down, in terms of "value for money". First, the good; rooms were nice, bed was soft, and bathroom was huge. The covered patio, (2nd floor deluxe room) was great for getting out of the rain, but remaining out-doors. The beach area was clean, every day, and the staff was helpful in getting our bearings, this being our first time in Tulum. The hotel is easy to access with a nice sized parking area for taxis & such, and is "close" to several nice restaurants. Wifi was handy, though a little unreliable. Now, the bad; breakfast = wasps. They were ever-present and persistent which really ruins the outdoor dining experience. Never had issues with wasps at any other hotel in Mexico. Next, service at Ziggy's is SLOW. While you may say this isn't the hotel's fault, they are affiliated, and thus share some of the blame. It would often be an hour, or more, from ordering drinks or food to receiving them, particularly on the beach. Speaking of the beach, this hotel seems to prefer beds, instead of chairs. How about having some nice chairs, like other next-door hotels. Air conditioning... we knew it ahead of time, but the whole 7:15 pm - 7:00 am thing can be a little frustrating. The AC had a habit of turning off throughout the night, requiring someone in bed to have to get up and turn it back on, again. A small mini-fridge would have been nice, given the lack of ability to get (or keep) anything cold in a timely manner. At nearly $500 per night, I expected a lot more. Would I go, again? Not at that price... perhaps for half that price.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Beach Tulum and for giving us your feedback about the service and our amenities. We will consider your suggestions and forward your comments as well to the restaurant manager.
As far as the rates are concerned, you stayed with us during peak season, which is Christmas Holidays. Please check our website for our high season or Summer rates and Special offers.

Southampton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The hotel was different than any other place I have ever been. There was a luxurious, yet rustic feel to our time there. No TV, limited air-conditioning, limited wifi, comfortable bed, breezy beach, wonderful service. Would love to go back tomorrow!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on second floor have an additional deck with bed and pillows.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at The Beach Tulum, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and lovely comment about your recent stay with us. We are flattered to read that you had such a unique and wonderful experience at our Beach Hotel and that we fulfilled all your expectations.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon and be of your service again her in beautiful Tulum!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This was our second time staying here. First time was great, so we went with them again. The staff were more than accomidating, they will do anything in their power to help you. We booked all of our excursions (Coba, Snorkleing) through the hotel, and every excursion was unforgetable. All we had to do was be in the lobby at the agreed upon time, and there would be someone waiting to pick us up. Our room was cleaned spotless everyday. Breakfast menu from Ziggy's has lots of delicious meals to choose from, which is great if you are breakfast people like we are. It really makes it easy knowing that a great breakfast is right there, included, especially if you have an early excursion, no early morning decisions.
Only thing is, for the price, they should have wi-fi in your room and terrace. I like to "unplug", but I didn't want to go to the lobby everytime I needed to use it, like checking trip advisor to choose a new restaurant or activity.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at The Beach Tulum, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

we are honored to read about your second experience at our Beach Hotel and are so happy to receive your feedback again. It is our commitment to create a memorable atmosphere to our guests. Moreover, our staff is always aware of the different needs of our guests whose satisfaction and enjoyment are paramount to us.
Again, thank you very much and hopefully see you again in the near future.

Best wishes and muchas gracias,

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had booked a stay at Cabanas Tulum, I was not happy with the bed situation (we were 3 ) so Dan, the most kind and helpful manager moved us over to The Beach with an increase in price, but I was willing to pay it for the more satisfactory room..
The room was directly on the sand, it was quite comfortable , the outdoor area was nice, a hammock, table , chairs and a day bed.
Breakfast was included and the choices were great. They had a variety of fresh juice drinks, smoothies , coffee etc..along with all kinds of egg dishes.
You could eat at table right on the sand which was lovely ..if you do not like bees, they do tend to surround anything sweet you are eating, I used an open jam packet to lure them away .
Ziggys, the bar beach club was always busy , but, the service was great the waitstaff very
helpful.and the food came out quickly.
We ate lunch there a few times and I really enjoyed the Panamian Ceviche made with grouper .
Their chips and dips were super and at happy hour all drinks were two for the price of one.
The room was kept very clean and each day a wonderful towel creature would be placed on our bed.
The beach was kept spotless, something you would appreciate as if you walked down the beach in some areas the seaweed was thick on the sand and the collection of plastic caught in it was appalling. We did see crews picking out the plastic and sorting it to throw away? recycle? I am not sure, but, it really is sad to see ...another reason to avoid plastic products and be aware of where they end up if not recycled.
the hotel fronted a beach with many palm trees that provided shade and enough loungers and beds to choose from, so you did not have to worry about where to place you towel for the day.
The waitstaff walked up the beach with menus and you could order and the food would be brought to you.
The hotel was run like a 5 star resort , but, it had a casual and semi rustic atmosphere , not a lot of bells and whistles. I appreciated this, and chose Tulum because there are no large resorts in the town.
Also, in this particular hotel, no small children are allowed to stay, but kids are allowed at Ziggy's Beach Club so at times there was a crowd of people with small children there.

The staff was incredible, the front desk very helpful, everyone had a smile on their face and you felt it was genuine.
Taxis were plentiful, in fact , we had planned to rent a car, but changed our minds. We did go into Tulum Pueblo two times, once for dinner and once just to look around..
We stayed a week , enough time to see some sights, enjoy good food and just relax..
Some of the staff that made the stay memorable:
Alfredo
Sylvania
Roman
Jeronimo
Leonardo
Jorge
and Dan, the manager
However, they were all professional and helpful.

Room Tip: All the rooms were good, but I would say that further away from Ziggys would be a little quieter...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are so happy to read about your feedback and would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our Boutique Hotel. Thank you also for your special chorus of praise about our staff members, everyone has appreciated it very much.
We are looking forward to hosting you again in the near future and will make sure you feel our Mexican warmth and sincere hospitality.

Best wishes and muchas gracias

Your The Beach Team!
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at The Beach Hotel in late May early June of 2013. This is my 3rd time staying at this location and will continue to stay at this hotel every time I come back to Tulum. The rooms are located on the beach and their service is better every time. The staff is just amazing and they will go above and beyond to ensure that your stay is pleasant and truly a real escape from everything.

Breakfast is included with your reservations and their food is very good. Breakfast is a la carte and they use very fresh ingredients. My personal favorite are the chilaquiles! Coffee and Orange Juice are also included with your breakfast.

I highly recommend this hotel for those that want to get away and enjoy the beach at a very different level, it is peaceful and serene. No phones or WIFI in the rooms, which I absolutely love. Its truly paradise. The food, bar and grounds are simply excellent.

Special thanks to the the amazing staff that always makes this hotel an absolute delight to stay: Rafa (manager), Neri (bartender), and Leonardo (waiter), etc. Everyone did and excellent job but these guys set the standards high and add that extra touch without being overwhelming. I am looking forward to my next stay soon.

Regards-

Sra. Reyes

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you on behalf of the whole team for this great review! It makes us really happy and proud to read about your recent stay at The Beach Tulum.
Thank you so much for being our guest and we would be honored to see you again in the future.

Best wishes and Muchas Gracias

Your The Beach team!
Dodge City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

The Beach Tulum is an Oasis, a respite, a place you felt CARED for and Taken CARE OF. We also got to experience a better version of LIFE...one where you aren't at the beck and call of the phone, the computer, and the tempatation to tune out Life with the TV. Without all the distractions of electronics and people and NOISE, we were truly able to RELAX. The BEACH Tulum has an amazing location, staff, restaurant, and vibe. We had already spent 4 nights in Mexico in two other cities, and are SO happy to have finished our trip with 8 nights at the The Beach Tulum. We could stay there for a month. First and foremost, the Staff makes this beyond a hotel stay, you quickly feel like you are staying with friends. The Staff at the Front Desk are the creme de la creme. We felt ALL of the staff's genuine kindness and were impressed with how hard they would work, yet still be so gracious and ready to smile at the end of the day. We loved hanging out at Ziggy's where we marveled at the service and the delicious food. Dinners are a 5 star fine-dining experience. Everything we ate was incredible. Breakfast was a treat everyday, I was excited to try something new and it was always SO good! You also get a coffee or tea AND a drink, like a smoothie, juice, or healthy green drink. We felt like we were getting an amazing deal with it being included in the room cost. I was partial to their Avena (KIND of like oatmeal but more like heaven in a bowl), and would order that in addition to my breakfast. Someone complained about having to pay extra for more than the entree.... The breakfasts are HUGE. You would not need to order anything else, especially if you take advantage of ordering a smoothie or shake which would REALLY fill you up. But if you just HAVE to order something else (like the Avena! for breakfast "dessert"), then trust me, you will be happy to pay about $3 for it! But back to the HOTEL:
The Room: We stayed in a Deluxe 1st floor (they call it 1st, but in America, it would be the 2nd floor) room with a rooftop, closer to the restaurant, actually 2nd room over. We were NEVER bothered by any noise from the restaurant. One night we had the pleasure of hearing romantic music as we readied for dinner, and were so happy to find out it was an amazing musician playing his saxaphone at the restaurant... what a treat! Okay, back to the room. We LOVED. LOVED it. The bed, bathroom, balcony, rooftop, all of it. Water pressure was GREAT. Only once in 8 nights we lacked hot water, and the problem was fixed within 10 minutes. My husband is picky about his mattress, he prefers a soft top and I prefer firmer, somehow folks, we BOTH found the bed comfortable. I loved having a closet, a safe, plenty of surface space to spread our stuff out with the furniture and "headboard" design. The FINISHES... OH MY GOODNESS. If you are a nature lover, and appreciate craftsmanship and simplicity.... We were in love with the wood doors, the massive CHUNK of tree they used as the bathroom countertop... the inlaid pebbles around the cement tub/floors to catch the water. Yes, I said cement tub. The tub is ENORMOUS and we loved the shape of it. Very comfortable for two people:) We came home researching cement forms for tubs because we'd like one in the next remodel project! Also love the touch of the inlaid Wood around the footprint of the bed that seemlessly met the cement floor. The patio is definitely "delux" for two people. A bed/couch/hammock, table and 2 chairs. And the rooftop?? I recommend a night trip up there...Our first night at The Beach, we fell asleep under the stars, listening to the ocean. We woke up at 1 am a little chilled and a little confused how we found ourselves still up there. It was Nov. 24th and we were sleeping outside with no blankets, sheets, etc! That's not a testament to how tired we were...that's a testament to how the ambiance of The Beach Tulum, the rooftop sunbed, God's nightlights and ocean soundtrack transport your senses to COMPLETE relaxation.
UNPLUGGED: In case this aspect of the Hotel concerns you, take the leap of faith that you CAN live without a tv:! You will NOT miss it! You could always bring a few DVD's for your laptop if you are worried about needing some entertainment, but chances are, you won't use them until you get back on the plane. There is WiFi around the hotel and at Ziggy's so you can stay in touch as needed. But you will thoroughly enjoy just lounging on your deck watching the ocean, or even better, hanging out at the bar:) And if you want adventure, walk down the beach and try out other restaurants/bars. We had 2 Sunday nights here and enjoyed them at La Zebra down the road, with the live Salsa band and dancers. We enjoyed a Reggae band at OUR hotel one evening, an entertaining Tequila class one night, The Saxaphone player another. Another night we went up the beach to listen to live gypsy music. Keep your ear to the ground, do research, ask the locals whats happening, and you will find MORE to do than you have time for. You wont miss the tv. I loved having time with my husband, kid free, and having "date night" every night...and DAY!
MASSAGE: We scheduled a couple's massage... and its not something my husband was keen about. I had to talk him into it. But he LOVED it. These ladies are precious and talented, and its more than a physical experience, they make it a spiritual one. BOOK ONE! or more. Let me add that later Veronica came to my room when she heard I was having some back and leg pain, and gifted me some therapy that allowed me pain relief enough to take a much needed nap, and REFUSED to receive pay. She just wanted to help. THAT was the heart attitude of ALL the staff.
We were WELL taken care of while here. Anything we needed they jumped to help. I also needed further physical therapy, and they worked very hard to find someone for me, who was able to come to the hotel on the weekend, Saturday AND Sunday...and help me out. She was also a very generous soul, well-trained, and effective for me.
WEATHER: because we traveled Nov 20-Dec 3, the official end of hurricane season, I had previously looked for reviews on what the weather might be like, but didn't find much, so I will comment on that for anyone else. Most days were very sunny. In two weeks we had maybe 3 days that were mostly overcast. On the days that were sunny, there was usually a bit of rain, which might last for 5 minutes or 45 minutes, and then it was gone, and the sun came back out. Don't let this time of year deter you. Temps in low 80s. The bigger issue was if you wanted to do any water sports, you needed to take advantage of the "right" days. We waited around too long to Paddleboard, and then the days we wanted to do it, the water was too rough. But then those were fun days to play in the waves. And the kite-boarders were out in masse and were fun to watch... anyways a couple days were rainier than others, but we still had beach time on those days. I would go at this time of year again. Bring mosquito repellant. If you are a mosquito magnet like I am in the US, plan on being one there too. They left my husband alone. He even quit putting on repellant and they STILL ate me instead of him. They aren't swarming or anything, just more like a typical summer day in the US.
Money Exchange: We were new travelers to Mexico and had a learning curve, so to spare you some of the hassle we had, let me offer this advice: Take some time in TOWN to go to a Bank ATM and get the CASH you want to have in American and in Pesos. The hotel does not keep large amounts or even moderate amounts of cash on hand. I'm sure this is for their and our safety, and I don't blame them. You are money ahead to convert at the bank to Pesos, and use for meals away from the hotel and taxi's. The Hotel massages get paid in American. Most excursions with Tour Companys are paid in American and can usually be paid with a credit card/online. But most everything else local is best paid in Pesos. We were surprised how many restaurants were WILLING to take American, but the exchange rate wasn't as good. Ziggy's, was VERY fair and the exchange rate was the same as the banks, about $13 pesos/$1 Dollar. An equally nice restaurant a few hotels down the beach was charging us $11 pesos/$1 Dollar. It could vary place to place. So, if you are budget conscious, you come out ahead to pay in Pesos. The price of a fine dining tab (at other restaurants) would be up to $15 dolllars CHEAPER if you paid in Pesos vs American. We learned the hard way. Overpaying everyday could add up... we looked at it as more cash in our pockets to spend at Ziggy's bar during our afternoon happy hour on the beach!! You also come out ahead to have done one major transaction then to rely on using ATM's throughout your stay. You will be charged a fee for the exchange which is a percentage of the amount you withdraw, and then you are ALSO charged a terminal fee every time you use it between $7-10! We found two ATM's on the beach road, one didn't work, and the other charged about $9 fee to use the machine. Again...we were kicking ourselves for not taking out enough cash when we were in town, and only pay the ATM fee one time. It also costs about $8-11 to get to town via taxi....so PLAN AHEAD. Also be sure you have pharmacy/drug store type items with you because they aren't readily accessible on the beach, there's a large walmart-type store in town, but again, it takes up precious beach time and taxi money to go run those errands. For those of you NOT budget conscious....you may not care about multiple ATM fees or taxi fees, but you may care about your vacation time being wasted running after cash or converting to Pesos....so since its not easy to do on the beach...take care of it in one visit to town!
Back to THE BEACH TULUM. my Home away from Home....
Yes, I experienced some physical pain and limitations while I was in Tulum. Im so grateful I was at The Beach Tulum when this happened. As you can see, I have rave reviews for this hotel and our time here, in spite of having some serious physical setbacks while there. I would not have wanted to be anywhere else. We were PERSONALLY cared for. Fed well. Drank well:). Your soul and your body will thank you for bringing you here to DETOX from our crazy American lifestyle. Dreaming of going back..... Worth EVERY penny.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ctulum, General Manager at The Beach Tulum, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

I just shared with our staff the fantastic review you just posted in which our efforts of hosting our visitors and make them feel special was achieved. It is very important for us to have all feedback being positive or those details that need to be taken care of. Once again I would personally like to thank you for taking the time to let everybody know the experience with the personal care and for considering THE BEACH TULUM “your Home away from Home”. Please allow us to host you in the near future, we will make sure you feel our Mexican warmth and sincere hospitality.

Benjamin Fernandez
Hotel Manager

Been to The Beach Tulum? Share your experiences!