“Great but could be better!” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Road Tulum-Boca Paila km 7, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
FALL SPECIALS!!!
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Tulum
“Great but could be better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stayed at the Beach Tulum for 7 nights in mid November for our honeymoon. The hotel itself and the beach was beautiful! It was very classy but yet laid back which I adored. By the second day most of the staff knew our names which impressed me very much. Upon checking in we were given a fresh juice cocktail and they took our bags and showed us the room. Very minimilistic which was perfect...no distractions. I could usually pick up wi-fi on my phone in our room and on the beach but some people could only connect in the restaurant or in the lobby. Each room has a hammock and we stayed in the superior room that was right on the beach which you could see full view of the ocean either while laying in bed or in the bathtub or shower which was incredible. We also had a rooftop deck with two lounging beds and a soaking tub. It takes a while to fill and isn't very hot but it was nice. Breakfast is included at Ziggys (the restaurant at the hotel) with your stay and everything was great. You get a choice of one hot drink, one cold drink, and an entree. We ate lunch at Ziggys a couple of times and the tuna nachos were PHENOMENAL!! Seriously I will day dream about the nachos. The burger however was quite awful, the meat was formed different than a normal hamburger and tasted a little off. Greg, one of the waiters, was so nice! He, and others, would walk the beach during the day and take orders. The first time he came to our beach bed he introduced himself and shook my hand, so sweet! Happy hour is from 4-6 in the bar which we always took advantage of. Try the coco loco!

Now for the not so great things. The room, sheets, pillows, and everything else in the room was always damp. We tried putting the fan on high, leaving the screen door open to get a breeze and we still couldn't get anything to dry completely. It just makes everything uncomfortable. I know there's not much they can probably do about this but it's worth noting. The floor is always slimy and no matter how much you (there's a broom in the room) or the cleaning staff sweep there is always sand everywhere. Hot water is a hit or miss, sometimes there's none and sometimes there's plenty. We had went to dinner one night and brought back a bottle of wine that was half full and the cleaning staff took it the next day while cleaning! I was so upset as it was a nice bottle of wine. My husband went to ask the front desk about it and was told that they must have thought it was trash. I also had a massage from veronica who they work with at the hotel. She came to the room and I had the massage on the front deck. It was nice but probably the worst massage I've ever had. At $100 for 90 minutes I expected t it to be a little better. And last but not least when booking our room back in early summer I requested the honeymoon room decoration that they list on their website. (If you read the reviews it includes champagne, and flowers on the bed) I was really excited about this and didn't tell my fiance about it until we arrived in Mexico the day after our wedding. When checking in the lady asked why we were visiting and I told her it was our honeymoon, she said that they didn't know that and jotted it down. Of course when we arrived in our room it wasn't decorated. We decided to wait until later in the week to see if they would do it another night, when they hadn't by late in the week we went to ask about it. We did get it but it wasn't as special when you have to ask 3 or 4 times to make it happen. I had mentioned repeatedly in our correspondence that it was our honeymoon. It rained really bad three of the days we were there and the cleaning staff was pretty busy with leaks and whatnot so come 4 p.m one day we had to request for them to clean our room.

All in all it was a great honeymoon but I can't say that we would go back to The Beach Tulum.

Room Tip: Choose the superior room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at The Beach Tulum, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all congratulations again on your marriage and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
We are very sorry your honeymoon did not result in a perfect stay due to some situations we are about to verify with our housekeeping and front desk staff.
Unfortunately, the heavy and incessant rain we had this season in combination with the tropical heat created high levels of humidity, more than usual . Alas, it rained for weeks not allowing the heat and moisture to dissipate which resulted in the sensation of dampness you described in your review.
Again, we apologize if we did not meet your expectations but hope you will give us the opportunity and visit us again in the future hopefully with more sunshine than rain to see all our improvement.

Muchas Gracias

Your The Beach Team!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We had a really nice time here but the room, bed, blankets, pillows were all damp and musty and the tables and chairs were terribly dirty. Surprisingly the towels smelled fresh and were fluffy. There is a certain expectation that the room may be a bit humid in a tropical climate but it was really uncomfortable. The breakfast each morning was amazing. We enjoyed our dinners at Ziggy's but didn't love the selection. Everything was sweet on the entrée side. There was also a bit of a push to order more. The front desk staff was perfectly nice and the ladies who served breakfast were great. The water temperature in our room and on our roof tub was hit or miss. Sometimes we had no hot water, sometimes tons. It really depended on the day. All in all it was a great stay but again, the room just lacked a certain level of comfort.

Room Tip: It's worth it to get the room right on the beach. It feels like your own private beach.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at The Beach Tulum, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at our Beach Hotel and for your feedback.
Unfortunately, it is true that due to the incessant rain falls we had this season and the adjacency to the sea the humidity was felt everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Although our housekeeping staff has been doing all possible to keep the rooms ventilated and clean, mother nature has been inclement with us, this is probably why you could not fully enjoy our beach rooms.
We hope you will come an visit us for a second time when there is nothing but sunshine. Thank you again for all the nice words about our staff.

Muchas Gracias

Your The Beach Team
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had the best time at The Beach Tulum! The hotel and Tulum in general are really laid back & relaxing. We walked up and down the beach and did not encounter obnoxious music or “spring-break” types at any of the hotels. There were more than enough beach-front beds for lounging. Plenty of shade too!

The airline lost my luggage on arrival. As soon as we arrived at the hotel, the staff helped us coordinate with Cancun airport and my bag arrived several hours later. In the meantime, they directed us to the nearest Chedraui (grocery store) so I could pick up a bathing suit, shorts, toiletries and beer ( : They even gave us a cooler to use for the week and the bar re-stocked our ice no problem. The front desk staff was also great about recommending things to do and see. We used the hotel's transfer service to and from the airport without a problem.

The staff was friendly and just plain wonderful! They learned our names very quickly too! Ziggys service and food were perfect! We only ventured to another restaurant once. The restaurant/bar manager and head chef even asked our opinions on their Christmas Eve & NYE menu.

We stayed in room #7, which was the closest second floor room next to Ziggys. Perfect location & the restaurant/bar noise was minimal. The room was clean, modern and minimal. No TV, clock or phone. The room safe worked perfectly. Air conditioning is only available from 7pm – 7am, which was no problem because of the breeze. We didn’t even need the AC every night. The hotel has a water cooler in the lobby and I would suggest bringing large cups so you don’t have to make as frequent of trips.

We will be back (sooner rather than later)!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #7, which was the closest second floor room next to Ziggys. Perfect location &...
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had the most amazing romantic getaway ever! It supposed to be only for the weekend, but we ended staying for one more night, just because this place is amazing. If you are looking for a romantic place, this is your best option. I planned a few romantic things for my girlfriend, and the staff were very accessible and they just help me to make it happened.

The food was amazing, the beach was amazing, and the staff was incredibly friendly.
Air Conditioned is a must and it worked perfectly our entire stay. Specially if you had a bad time sleeping in a warm humid room. We stayed in one of the "Superior Room", the room had really nice amenities and all you need to have a comfortable stay.

Honestly I try it because I saw good reviews in Tripadvisor, but now I am the one who recommends this Hotel. Undoubtedly, this will be my choice when I return to Tulum.

Thanks for this amazing experience!

Room Tip: If you can, go for the Superior Room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The beach was great, better than most the pictures represented. I stayed in room 201 in the Superior section, and would have been happy in either (superior or deluxe). Breakfast was included at Ziggy's - surprisingly great food and extremely friendly staff that knew our names by the third day. A couple notes to keep in mind - Tulum is off the grid, so they watch the electricity and water carefully (many of the restaurants are just lit by candles; the food is expensive everywhere and most only take cash (pesos or dollars, doesn't matter), however, I had a couple fantastic meals so it was worth it; taxis will drive you up and down the beach section for $5, but take a flashlight at night if you want to walk along the road. I would definitely go back, it's much better than the all inclusive resorts up the coast towards Cancun.

Room Tip: The Superior rooms are all quiet, I could see certain deluxe rooms adjacent to Ziggy's restauran...
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I loved the hotel and staff, but Leonardo was the person who made our vacation a stand out. He was very attentive and went out of his way to make sure we were happy, and to do anything we needed (even the things that weren't his responsibility). Leonardo is a real gem and I hope this hotel realizes it and pays him what he's worth!!!! I would definitely go back to this hotel because of him.
Dorothy

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice beach location. Nice dinner staff, beautifully served dinners. That's sadly all the good I have for this place. We stayed in a ground floor, deluxe room. We stayed 5 nights. Every morning at 7am there was talking, banging, grinding, drilling and general maintainence noise outside our room. I don't know if this was random, but it sure was annoying.

Outside of that complaint, room 04 has little privacy due to being right by the walkway to the beach. If we were sitting on our terrace, people could easily see us lounging.

Breakfast is decent, service is slow and mediocre.

I suppose the cost is worth the beach location, but I'm not especially convinced of that.

• Stayed November 2013

Been to The Beach Tulum? Share your experiences!