“Awesome place to visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 67 things to do in Tulum
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tulum Monkey Sanctuary was closed on October 13, 2014 due to the death of the owner of the property. Thank you for your support. The Tulum Monkey Sanctuary is a privately owned 60 acre ranch. On the ranch we have 15 rescued Spider Monkeys that live in natural habitats. There are also wild monkeys that pass through on their normal feeding routes. In addition to Spider Monkeys we have saved many, many animals including lots of street dogs. Although the Tulum Monkey Sanctuary is closed at the moment we hope you will support us in our move to the YuCARE Ranch. The YuCARE Foundation will be dedicated to broad based animal rescue (starting with the monkeys of Tulum Monkey Sanctuary) and will be self-sustaining both financially and environmentally.
Timmins, Canada
“Awesome place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

My family and I toured the Tulum Monkey Sanctuary while holidaying in Playa Del Carmen and loved every minute of it! Aside from being able to learn more about spider monkeys and to interact with a few of them, the greatest thing about this place is the fact that it is relatively unknown to most - tourists and local residents alike! There weren't the crowds and frenetic pace of many organized tours to tourist attractions. There was simply my family, another family and our tour guide. What a great way to wander through the jungle, swim in a small cenote and get up close to some entertaining and adorable monkeys! The tour is VERY laid back, which worked very well for us.

The sanctuary is doing great work to rehabilitate monkeys that have lived pretty sad lives in captivity and to develop safe zones for "undomesticated" monkeys where they aren't in danger from humans.

Getting there can be a little tricky since you have to do so on your own by taxi or rental car, but if you catch a cab in Tulum, the drivers will know where you are wanting to go. In Playa Del Carmen, you will want to have the map printed out for your driver since not many of the locals know of the place.

Kettering, Ohio
15 attraction reviews
“Best Thing We Did While on Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I came here for the morning tour of the Monkey Sanctuary and fell in love with this place! John was an amazing tour guide and the fact that they only allow for small groups (we had 6 people on our tour including ourselves), made things very laid back yet informative at the same time. The spider monkeys were very cool, but that was not the only focus of this excursion. We also had a guided hike in the jungle and swam in cenotas located on the property. You walk away from this place with fun memories, an education in spider monkeys as well as other local flora and fauna, and a HUGE appreciate for what these people are doing!

Highly Recommend!

If you do go, bring sturdy shoes (you walk through jungle trails), wear your bathing suit if you want to swim in the Cenotas, and bring your own towel to dry off afterwards.

Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful private tour ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We visited the monkey sanctuary based on Trip advisor recommendations and were not disappointed! John was a very knowledgeable and open tour guide. We were happily surprised at the proximity to the animals and how well cared for they were. Our hike through the jungle to have swims in private cenotes was a highlight! Thank you for a wonderful experience.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
8 attraction reviews
“Charming and Delightful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I'm not someone who uses the word "charming," a lot, but all I can say is that I was absolutely charmed by this place. The property is beautiful, you get to see and learn about the monkeys, the tour guide was enjoyable and informative, and the small cenote at the end was a lot of fun -- you can do an (optional) jump down, then swim through a short cave. The tours are small, the volunteers clearly care a lot about the mission and the place, it's a wonderful time with adorable and interesting animals and the admission fee is supporting good work. I went with my boyfriend and there were only 5-6 people total on the tour. We were there for about 3 hours and really enjoyed it. I definitely recommend that you check it out!

Visited February 2014
Bend, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I recentley visited the sactuary with my husband, my parents and a family friend, we all absolutly loved our experience. The staff were wonderful from the moment we arrived at the gates. There were a total of 13 people visiting the sactuary which they said was a large group so they split us up into two seperate tours, which was great there is nothing worse then being on a tour with tons of people. Jon was our tour guide and he was fantastic. He was very friendly and informative and answered every question our group had about the sactuary. We were able to touch and interact with sereral of the monkeys. The property itself was very beautiful with several different animals to look at as well as a cenote to swim in. We spent about 3 1/2 hrs there and not once did we feel presured to leave in fact Jon told us to spend as much time with the monkeys as we wanted. It was also nice to not be faced with a giftshop and a tip jar at the end of the tour although i would have gladly given them one. Overall it was one of my favorite parts of my 10 day stay in cancun and a must see for anyone traveling in the area.