“Romantic jungle/beach setting, great food - and vegan!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 223 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Mexican, Vegan, Healthy, Fusion, Organic
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Author vegan cuisine, supporting local products and farmers, inspired in permaculture and pursuing sustainable development all served with love in tulum's jungle, few steps from the beach.
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Romantic jungle/beach setting, great food - and vegan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We visited Restaurare since it had the top spot on tripadvisor and we were not disappointed! Lovely open air restaurant that is nicely shaded in the jungle like setting on the opposite side of the road to the beach. It is a little hard to find - opposite the Hemingway hotel and marked by a wooden sign and a chalkboard not greatly lit like all the rest! - You walk down a stepping stone path into the jungle clearing. The tables are lit with hanging candles and there were flaming torches too (possibly citronella). The waiter was wonderful, fantastically friendly and spoke brilliant English. The menu was written on a tiny paper scroll, very intriguing! They had great fruit cocktails (non alcoholic) I had watermelon, ginger and peppermint (30 pesos), so refreshing! The menu is made up of vegan versions of traditional mayan dishes. I had the traditional 'pork' tacos (an appetiser but big enough for a main! 70 pesos) and my boyfriend had the dark chocolate mole main dish with vegetables and tofu (140 pesos). Wonderful, tasty and you probably wouldn't know it wasn't meat unless you were told, it was great to be able to taste the traditional flavours without the meat (my boyfriend doesnt eat pork or beef and I am cautious to eat meat when traveling!) So impressed with the place - we wanted to go back for more fruit cocktails in the daylight but did not get chance to! Oh but check the weather, as we left we were completely drenched in a down pour, not sure what they do in the rainy season!

• Visited February 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Super good vegetarian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our meal here. I had read all the great reviews on trip advisor, and since we were staying in the area, I definitely had to try it out. My girlfriend and I had the the Chaya Tacos and the Curry Maya, both of which were fantastic. We also had a couple of the delicious fresh fruit juice blends. The service was great, and the prices were reasonable. If you're a vegetarian, then this place is a must in Tulum, and if you're not, you'll still really enjoy it. We definitely can't wait to go back.

london
“Good food but nothing unusual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband is vegetarian, I'm a devout carnivore. I'm always on the search for vegetarian cuisine that is imaginative and varied. Restaurare was good but not great. Apart from vegetarian alternatives to Mexican fare, there was an unimaginative curry and a stir fried tofu dish on the menu. The food was ok-- and I am damning with faint praise here. The appetisers were excellent but we felt the main courses were stodgy and unimaginative. My husband had better vegetarian fare at Ginger and other local places than he had here. The service was excellent. The setting relaxed and beautiful. There is no alcohol served here, but following our meal, we went to the bar at El right next door for a margarita -- a ritual we stuck to for the first 5 nights we were there.

London, United Kingdom
“Imaginative, traditional, healthy food. Whether you are a vegie or not.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The first time we ate here we had actually planned to go to the popular place right next door, but the service in there was so awful (staff grunted at us to wait at the bar, then seated other guests before us), that we left and ended up here at Restaurare. So glad we did. We're not a vegie couple but the food here was awesome and the service so friendly and welcoming. The fruit shakes are delicious (we ordered 2.. one was tangerine, orange, papaya and mint and the other was watermelon ginger and peppermint), and for a starter dish we'd recommend the oyster mushroom ceviche., although the dishes are all delicious and full of flavour and Mayan influence. The setting is romantic and the whole experience is one we would heartily recommend for all, not just vegies.

• Visited February 2013
El Paso, Texas
“Loved their breakfast & good vibes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful breakfast at Restaurare on January 7, 2013. We went on the recommendation of a waitress we met at another restaurant who noticed we were vegetarian. We are so glad she told us about this place! The atmosphere was very relaxed & the tables among the palm trees made us feel truly in nature. The owners had really great energy, and it was clear that they are putting all their heart & talent into the restaurant. My husband had the amaranth pancakes & a fresh juice, and I had a truly delicious tofu scramble & coffee. We also shared a banana bread. Simply great food made with fresh ingredients & love. Highly recommend this place to vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.

• Visited January 2013