My boyfriend and I stayed for 4 nights during the last week of May and we had an excellent time. La Zebra is my favorite place to stay in Tulum and I'm only staying here from now on! I've been to Tulum before and have seen other hotels up and down the beach and La Zebra is by far the best if you want a small boutique hotel with luxury cabanas and the best beach. We had cabana no. 5 and it was perfect and very private and you still get an ocean view. They do a great job with cleaning service and I appreciated the fresh beach towels and water they left in the room every day after cleaning. We loved the bed and thought they were very comfortable so I didn't understand the complaints about the beds being too hard....those people must like sagging super plush beds that will ruin your back!
Tanya at reception was extremely helpful and even helped us call a particular cab driver every day to take us places. If you are in Tulum and want a reliable cab driver, Ignacio is your man! We met him the first day and he basically drove us around all day for a very affordable price, waiting for us at each destination. And we got his cell number and we kept arranging rides with him for everywhere, including Playa del Carmen. His cell is 984143-1412 and taxi number is 379. He's a nice, hard working guy trying to support his Mayan wife and son. Also, he lived in California for a while so speaks excellent english and he is always exactly on time when you arrange times to meet. Everyone at La Zebra was very kind to keep calling him for us and arranging rides with him.
For the majority of our stay, we hung out on the property and just lounged, read, swam and enjoyed the beach. This stretch is definitely the best beach in all of Tulum...the waves are less turbulent and it just isn't as crowded as further down towards Zamas. There are a fair number of people staying in other places who come to hang out so I can see that during high season, competition for lounges under umbrellas could get fierce. We didn't any have issues on that front but we were also waking up on the early side and grabbed our lounges first thing. We had friends staying at Zamas and Maya Tulum and the beach down there is a joke. It's rocky and smelly because of seaweed. The food at La Zebra was great...their breakfast menu is awesome and they have an imported Italian espresso maker and use good espresso. The lunch and dinner is the same menu so I found the lunch options extremely limited and just did breakfast and dinner there. We had dinner at Posada Margherita twice...they definitely have the best restaurant in Tulum and excellent food even in terms of San Francisco standards and the service was super friendly so I don't understand the complaints about the "Italian attitude" there either. Zamas restaurant is just average but it was lovely to right by the ocean. We ate at one of those $4 roast chicken places in town which is the best meal for value you'll get in Tulum and also at Don Cafeto for some authenticity.
If you are looking to get away from normal life and truly relax, this is your place! And don't forget to do the cenotes cause they are incredible!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated directly on the beach in a historic former coconut plantation, the family-run La Zebra offers a vibrant and rustic destination among Tulum hotels, where authentic Mexican culture and cuisine infuse every facet of your stay. Escape to an intimate Tulum Mexico hotel best described as stylish and jungle-chic, with thatched roofs and colorful hammocks, coco palms swaying in the breeze, and warm Caribbean waters lapping at the shore just a few sandy steps away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your La Zebra Hotel, Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Zebra Hotel, Tulum Hotel Tulum
- La Zebra Beach Cabanas Hotel
- La Zebra Beach Cabanas Resort
- La Zebra Tulum