“Excellent Little Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 74 hotels in Tulum
Seattle
“Excellent Little Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

We were guests at La Zebra last week and I had to pop in and let my thoughts be known. We arrived from a resort up the beach that was a great disappointment; I also had a horrible stomach flu at check in. Despite that, I had as good a time at La Zebra as one can have with a sickness of that magnitude!

Right off the bat, we loved the beach. Simply glorious! The lounge chairs were wonderful (certainly heaven after the hard wooden chairs of the last resort) and the coconut palms and hammocks completed the picture beautifully. Most of the people on the beach were not staying at the resort--they just come for the great beach and cantina, if that tells you something.

We were in cabana 4 and found it perfectly clean, artfully decorated and the bed was so comfortable it brought tears to my eyes (especially after the super hard bed of the other place). I spent a lot of time in that bed, and can say it was very nice.

The cantina was great--excellent freshly-squeezed orange juice that brought me to life once the flu dissipated. I didn't get to sample the menu much due to the sensitive stomach, but what I did have was well done. Service was pretty good--sometimes slow, but not a big deal. One night, all I could manage to think about eating was a bun from one of their sandwiches; the waitress got it for me, and there was no charge as she saw how sick I was. Just a kind gesture, I think!

The ladies at the front desk were exceptional--in my haze, I didn't get their names, but the one from NYC was kind enough to bring some ibuprophen in to me from town when she arrived for her morning shift. And she made sure the maid cleaned our room first daily so I could get back in to sleep. Kudos to the staff! You guys made my stay infinitely more comfortable!

The only drawback I can mention is the noise--we were there when the people on the property behind the cabana were also there. They are drummers. Made for a couple of loud nights, and I should have brought it to the attention of the desk--they would have done something about it. The cabanas near the road are probably not the quietest places to stay, but the good news is that they plan to build new cabanas and get rid of the ones near the road. They also plan to upgrade--this for the 2009 season.

It should make an already great resort even better, and we can't wait to return with our kids for another great vacation--hopefully this time without a stomach flu!

• Liked — Great staff, best beach, ever!
  • Disliked — Noisy neighbors
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

522 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

When we began our research into Tulum, we knew virtually nothing. As a result of some expert advice – Thanks, Pepper! – and as a result of availability, we ended up at what turned out to be the perfect location for our family: La Zebra.

We were fortunate enough to be in room number one, a two-bedroom cabana that opens right on to the beach and has a perfect view of the water from the front bedroom. Relaxing and sleeping to the sound of the ocean surf couldn’t have been better, and the room’s 24/7 electricity, private bathroom, hot water, and comfortable furnishings made this a wonderful place to hang our hats while in Tulum.

Just steps away was La Zebra restaurant and cantina, which served up delicious food and drinks for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Service was friendly, and while staffing was stretched when the place got busy, we never had to wait long for our waiter or our food and drink. (We did tend to eat on the early side, though, and avoided the biggest crowds. It is a popular place.) Olaf was particularly friendly and helpful, but the entire wait staff was pleasant.

At the front desk, Jiri welcomed us, provided excellent advice on ruins tours and cenotes to visit, and answered all our questions.

As one other writer notes, La Zebra’s Sunday evening salsa party is a bit loud. If you’re participating, I’m sure it’s great fun. If you’re trying to put your kid to sleep – as we were – it was a bit trying, but fortunately he was pretty tired after a day on the beach, so he did go to sleep relatively quickly in spite of the music.

I couldn’t recommend La Zebra more highly and would likely stay here again on our next visit. Passers-by would often stop at our room, as we sat in the beach-facing doorway, to check out the cabana. They were all impressed and will likely be reserving it themselves on their next Tulum adventure.

Other restaurants to visit: Mezannine (apparently owned by the same folks as La Zebra) has delicious Thai food in an amazing setting with warm, friendly service. Posada Margherita (reservations required) had wonderful Italian food, but the service is not terribly friendly.

• Liked — Beach location and wonderful cabana
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to La Zebra Hotel, Tulum? Share your experiences!