“Relaxing, friendly, albeit busy beachfront during the weekends” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ahau Tulum

You added Ahau Tulum to your Saves list
Ahau Tulum
Carretera a Boca Paila Km 7.5 Tulum beach zone., Tulum, Mexico (Formerly Esmeralda-K)   |
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in Tulum
Moreno Valley, California
“Relaxing, friendly, albeit busy beachfront during the weekends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Disclaimer: I am going to sound very pretentious in some parts of this little travelogue.

When I travel, location is everything. My travel buddies this time around were my brother, Andrew, and, our friend, Keith. In Tulum, we found everything. Nothing about this place is pretentious. You come with your own set of expectations and wants. With that in mind, you set out to do those wants and expectations. Tulum grants those wants and expectations in a very relaxed, and friendly environment. Never has "siesta" been so true in Tulum. Life in Tulum is how it is life is meant to be lived.

My expectations and wants were the sun, and the beach. Ahau Tulum, an eco friendly chic resort, gave me these wants and did not fail my expectations. Growing up in Southern California, the sun here is much brighter and burns the skin much more so that in my part of the world. I have come to the conclusion that the reason being is smog. Yes, I have burst my bubble, and have accepted the fact that my part of the of the world despite its beauty and grand moments has smoggy skies. So I lay in the day bed that were so effective in the white sand beachfront of Ahau Tulum with mango yoghurt in my hand, and listening to my songs on my iPhone. Now this is where my pretentiousness comes in: sitting in my Indian pose, listening to music I love, and sunbathing is zen-like to me. This zen-like moments happened more than once. It truly heals the soul and relaxes the mind. That alone is worth the price of admission, folks. It also has to be said that the resort open its beach to the general public during the weekends which turns it to a busy beachfront. Although, I was assured that day beds are reserved for junior suite guests, and cabanas for the master suite guests which is nice as Ahau rightly commands a price for its accommodation.

If sitting by the beach with your music on isn't zen-like to you. Ahau also offers yoga sessions at 0800 and 1000 every morning by personable yogi. True to Tulum's chic atmosphere, yoga seems to be the fitness regimen of choice. They even have sunset yoga with chocolate and wine. But it also offers: kite surfing, paddle boarding, and a long stretch of white sand beach to jog/walk. I did jog almost everyday and it kicked my butt more so than the sterile jogging trails my neighborhood.

The food. I never had a bad meal in Ahau, and in Tulum's hotel/restaurant row. Nuff' said. Casa Banana, Restaurare, Ziggy's, Hartwood won't disappoint you if you are a foodie. My brother is a vegetarian, and fear not, they all have vegetarian options.

Go to Tulum now! And stay in Ahau! As I told an Ahau receptionist, I will be coming back when I have my own little family someday.

Room Tip: Book a junior suite: you get priority beach seating which you will need when the beach is swarmed by...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hello!

We want to thank you for the great review you recently posted about Ahau Tulum. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that it was as relaxing as you wanted . We work hard to keep the beach clean and to have the beds and chairs ready for our guests, however, in this Eastern local vacations we have a lot of visitors on the beach as is public and that's why we have private beach beds and umbrellas for our guest and we are glad you enjoy it yours. We are glad that you liked our food and beverage options as well as our activities like Yoga and Kite surfing. We hope we can see you back in Ahau soon with your litlle family!

Arturo Soto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We recently stayed three nights on honeymoon. The food and service at the restaurant/bar were excellent. We had a junior suite and our room inside was very nice. However it was not private at all and we could hear every move the family next door made and assume they could hear ours as well. We had a view of the hut in front and everyone in the bar could see us on our balcony. Our experience was not luxury and as the most expensive hotel we stayed in Mexico (at least £70 per night more than any other 4* hotel we stayed) it was the most disappointing. Great for families but would not recommend for romance.

• Stayed April 2014
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Hello,
We want to thank you for the recently post about our hotel and also we would like to apologize because you did not receive our special honeymooners service as we did not have any notice that you were in a honey moon trip. Most of the reservations come with a note informing us about special events as birthdays, anniversaries, honey moon, etc. In this case we offer an upgrade to a more secluded, private and romantic junior suite with special amenities. The diversity of guests that Ahau receive every day obligates us to have different room options for families and couples and we have a wonderful and huge beach area with different beach beds for everybody as well as the restaurant and food. Tulum is romantic as itself and Ahau is one of the most famous romantic spots in the area as you can read in all other reviews. We hope you can give us the opportunity to come back and to offer you the best honey moon ever. Tulum and Ahau will be waiting for you.

Warm Regards

Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I don't know any place more perfect than Ahau Tulum. It is the most inspiring place I have ever been and I am completely in love.
I hope when you visit you get to see one of my original Josana Blue paintings that I created while staying at Ahau. They will be hanging in various rooms along with the elated and calm sweet energy they were created with. A most glorious experience always.
Until next time...

Room Tip: master suits & junior suites are all amazing and have their own special unique touches...all wit...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Hello,

We want to thank you for the excellent opinion posted about Ahau Tulum. We are glad that you were inspired with our hotel and also we are very happy to have some of your art in our rooms, thank you again!! I hope we can see you back here again soon. All Ahau staff will be waiting for you.

Warm regards.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Everything about Ahau is what a vacation should be - beautiful, relaxing, good service, nice staff. What a treat to step out from our master suite right on to the pure white sand. Special thanks to Jill and Ari at the front desk - always helpful and smiling, Martin and the rest of the staff in the restaurant who always took care of us, and Marco who kept the beach area always clean. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Don't miss going to the top of the water tower at sunset. The view is spectacular!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello!

We want to thank you for the extraordinary review you recently posted about Ahau Tulum and also because you are sharing this with our future guests, therefore, they will have a better view of where are they going to spend their next vacations. We are committed to fulfill all of our guests needs and we are always working to exceed their expectations. We are glad to hear that Marco, Jill, Ari, Martin and all the restaurant staff improved your stay. We hope to see you son back in Ahau.

Merida, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I would like to say a special thank you to the Owners and staff at Ahau for accommodating our family on a last minute stay at the resort.
Ahau is not one of the mega Resorts in Tulum that I am used to staying at. It's a smaller quaint palapa topped bungalow "ecco" resort on the Tulum "Hotel Zone" road that parallels the beautiful beach. Ahaus beaches are the most beautiful pure white sand on the planet (no rocks here) and the staff keeps the beaches clean and the chairs and such are out early every morning! The restaurant on site has plenty of choices and the food and bev manager is happy to fulfil any requests possible!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hello!

We want to thank you for the great review you recently posted about Ahau Tulum. We are very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We work hard to keep the beach clean and to have the beds and chairs ready for our guests. We are glad to hear that our staff and the food and beverage manager Paris fulfilled your expectations as well as our restaiurant food options. We hope we can see you back in Ahau soon and once again, thank you for the compliments offered to our owners and staff.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

If you're planning a trip to Tulum, stay at Ahau!!

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 6-night stay at Ahau, and everything about our experience there was excellent. We stayed in a junior suite for the first three nights and a master suite for the remaining three. The master suite was truly the most beautiful room I've ever stayed in. Not having a/c was not an issue at all--the breeze from the ocean was really strong and they provided strong fans as well.

The food at Ahau was incredible--we ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel almost every day and every meal was so fresh, delicious and affordable (the food was even better than some of the "trendy" restaurants in Tulum that are packed at night). Martin (and all of the other restaurant staff) were incredibly friendly and warm, and the service was excellent all around.

Jill and the other staff that ran the reception desk were so helpful in recommending and setting up excursions, giving restaurant recommendations, etc. They booked our transportation to and from the airport, which went really smoothly. Oh and the yoga at Ahau was excellent, too! My boyfriend, who doesn't have much experience practicing yoga, did a few classes with me, and the instructors were really patient and helpful and made him feel welcome.

I can't wait to return!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello!

We want to thank you for the marvelous review you recently posted about Ahau Tulum and also because you are sharing this with our future guests, therefore, they will have a better view of where are they going to spend their next vacations.. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed one of our top level master suites and that you enjoyed the oceans breeze in there. In addition, we are glad to hear that Martin and all the restaurant staff as well as the food surpassed your expectations. We also want to thank your for the good comments about Jill and our front desk staff as well as our Yoga instructors and we are really happy that your boyfriend was able to try the Yoga. We will be waiting for you with open arms on your next visit to Ahau!!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I went to Ahau for a yoga retreat in late January; it was one of the best vacations I have ever experienced. The Hotel was amazing, no shoes necessary, the entire resort is built on finely sifted white sand. We never needed to eat anywhere else, the food at Ahau, including early morning coffee, was fabulous. If this isn't reason enough to vacation at Ahau, then it must be the wonderful, caring staff who catered to our every whim. It was the definition of tropical paradise!
Tulum itself one of the most beautiful places to visit, and there are plenty of restaurants and activities within walking distance, or short cab ride, if you wanted to do something outside the resort.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hello!

We want to thank you for the excellent review recently posted about Ahau Tulum and the Yoga retreat. We remember of course all the ladies enjoying the platform on the beach and the restaurant and its food. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed Tulum surroundings and that our staff suited your needs at all times. We invite you to come back to Ahau and enjoy the Paradise again!

Warm regards,

Arturo Soto

Been to Ahau Tulum? Share your experiences!