We have been to Tulum before and stayed just a short way away from Ahau so we already knew to expect the amazing beach.
We saw Ahau being built on a previous trip and decided we would stay December 2012.
We stayed (for 13 nights) in a Junior Suite on the beach (lower level) as we were with our 3 year old. The room was, I have to say, probably the best bit for me. Clean, bright, close to the sea, really beautiful (though could have done with more storage space).
There is a good sized veranda which worked well for us as our son can play whilst we relax.
The rooms are at the upper end of what you might expect to pay at a good place in Tulum so your expectations are set quite high.
In terms of the room, I'd give 10 out of 10. Issues that niggled a little were:
- Plates being left for 24 hours after room service and the dogs/cats/wasps being attracted to it!
- No kids menu; one day we were charged US$ 31 for a childs fish and chips
- Not a great choice of wines :-( - you'd expect in a place like this, they would have a couple of nice ones (as Villa Estrellas does)
However, the staff were great and they did adjust the price of the kids meals when we drew their attention to it.
They seem to really want to please and make your trip the best so they have to be commended on that.
Special mention to Jack and Edgar - they were very nice and welcoming.
Overall, the food is pretty pricey and compared to some of the other restaurants in Tulum, this is not always completely justifiable. It was though, on the whole, good quality and pretty tasty.
There was some amount of repairs during our stay (ie. to water pipes) but this was done very quickly and didn't really affect us.
To conclude, I'd recommend Ahau though there might be some slightly better options in Tulum if you are with small (ish) children...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ecological luxury Hotel with a Guest House in Tulum Beach in Mexico ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Ahau Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ahau Tulum Hotel Tulum
- Esmeralda k Hotel Tulum
- Esmeralda k Tulum