“Magical Mistery TRUE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ahau Tulum

You added Ahau Tulum to your Saves list
Ahau Tulum
Carretera a Boca Paila Km 7.5 Tulum beach zone., Tulum, Mexico (Formerly Esmeralda-K)   |
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in Tulum
San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
“Magical Mistery TRUE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

From the first moment I step into Ahau I was fascinated by the beauty of it all… gorgeous rooms, nurturing delicious food, friendly and caring staff, architecture of space and light, very respectful to the environment…
I also felt very much at home because the owners and manager, David, Milana and Pepe, treat every guest as family…So, yes I did feel at home in Paradise! And I am really appreciative of what they have achieved in this place, I always recommend it as avery magical entry point into nature...
I´ve stayed there a few times now, and there is nothing compared to the joy of being waked up by the rising sun… I love the way the rooms ( spacious, huge windows, high beds) where thought for this to happen… its subtle, but everything feels at place and at ease… true luxury for me!
I also loved the food, home made hummus is delicious, the vegetables wraps with tomato sauce are just perfect, also their juices ( try the “love” one) and omg desserts, for me the chesse cake and chocolate fondant !

I almost forget, you can do yoga in a beautiful space facing the ocean… it is a wonderful space…

So if you are longing to be in nature, and you are longing to indulge yourself, to relax, to enjoy, to feel at home, to feel at ease, to feel cared about, to feel magic… this is a place for you, as it was very much for me.... till we meet again Ahau :)

Room Tip: Whats good about Ahau is that every room has a beautiful view, and they have a room for every budget...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
We really appreciate your kind review, as hoteliers it is our pleasure to serve our guest and try to go beyond their expectations, as I mentioned before to other guest Nature already did the Job by providing with an outstanding blue sea and a unique beach.
Please come back any time you want we'll be delighted to have you once again, with the promise of showing you a good time, good food and of course the Yoga Classes.

Sincerely

Jose Escalante

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

You really can't beat Tulum if you're looking to get off the grid, see some sights (great Mayan Ruins!) and above all relax by the calm and beautiful Gulf of Mexico. I took my girlfriend here in November for 4 days and the weather and water were perfect. Ahau Tulum was an especially great choice as it has everything we could possibly need on site and is located right on the beach. Everything here has such a relaxing, minimalist and yet luxurious feel to it. The lodge/restaurant/bar/yoga studio has everything right at your fingertips and the food (while a little pricey) is quite good. I don't begrudge the price of food as you are paying for convenience and it is certainly that.

My biggest recommendation is for people vacationing on a budget or for people who want to relax and enjoy comfort without the guilt of splurging on things you don't need. We stayed in the Bali Huts here at Ahau Tulum and they were amazingly affordable for what you get. The room has everything you need (comfy bed, hammock, night light, outdoor shower and vanity) and nothing you don't.

I've read that people are upset that these huts don't have AC. While we were there (November) the nights were calm and cool and AC would have been completely superfluous. Also, reviewers seemed to be complaining about the animals on site. Come on! The dogs and cats on site are cute as hell and are certainly not obtrusive!

I'd recommend this place to anybody, but especially to anyone looking to relax and/or find a romantic getaway. It also would make for a great wedding venue for small parties.

Room Tip: If you're on a budget or just want to get a good value, book the Bali Hut instead of the pricier...
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Hola,

We have recived your review and we want to thank you for it, we like the fact that you understand the concept of Tulum and specially Ahau, we provide a space for people to come enjoy, relax and even explore, the nature surrounding the area is beautiful and the fact of beaing off the grid make part of the magic, at night you can look at the sky and whatch the stars, and sleep with the sound of the waves chashing on the beach.

Please feel free to come back any time and enjoy the Mexican Caribeean, and once again Muchas Gracias!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

me and my girlfriend were lucky to get a referral to Ahau in Tulum

what a paradise

with all the respect to the spectacular views, beach front and other natural 'paradise conditions', above all we got an amazing service and great hospitality from the Ahau team, the workers and the owners

this place is not only a vacation resort, it is liberation for your body and soul (great for sex as well ;)

We will never forget this vacation!

M & A

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Hola!

We are happy to hear you had a good time with us, every day we put all of our love and effort to make everyones vacation a memorable one.
We hope you comeback soon for more!
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We recently stayed at Ahau Tulum for 10 days in one of the Bali Huts. It is an absolutely magical place! It has such a relaxed vibe and the beach is divine. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. We had such a fun, relaxed time there - my partner proposed on the last day!!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I went to Ahau, Tulum for the renewal of my friends vows. I have so much to say about the resort and the experience it creates I am going to use bullet points to help summarize what I have to say.
• The room - What an extremely unique setup, it's very different from the traditional 5 star resort with marble floors, AC and blackout curtains! The room didn't have AC and at first I thought this would be a problem and was very skeptical. We had a suite on the second level and our villa was just a few meters from the ocean. The room had a very open design so the cool ocean breeze came in under the roof and through very cleverly designed vents, we kept very cool all night and the best aspect of this setup was that it allowed the sound of ocean to gently hypnotize us to sleep. The other initial downside was that there were no black out curtains in the rooms. After the first sunrise I loved the fact that every morning at first light I woke up to a magical sunrise and it set a great tone for the day.
• The experience - on the first day I walked over to the bar and I ordered a light beer and to my surprise the barman said sorry we don't stock light beer and the manager remarked "The food and lifestyle here is so healthy you can afford a proper beer" and he was right the food was amazing and healthy and I lost 4 pounds that week. Before I left Miami I went and bought some new sandals for the vacation and due to the out of norm experience at Ahau Tulum I never put on my shoes once the whole time. The resort built on the beach and I had the fine sand between my toes the whole experience, I loved that. The cherry on top of the experience is the great sense of community created by the people at the resort.
• The food - Simply amazing and want to recommend the eggs ahau for breakfast and the ceviche, ahau actopus, chicken skewers, egg plant starter, whole line fish and the club sand wedge were all some of the best dishes I have ever had. Try the Raw Cacao ball for breakfast it's the healthiest energy boost and its yummy!
• Activities - Mauricio runs the kite surfing, snorkeling and surfing at the resort and simply put he is a champion, I learnt how to surf and kite surf. I got up in my 6'th hour, it was a truly an amazing experience kite surfing exceeded my expectations for enjoyment. Kite surfing can be dangerous but Mauricio had top of the line equipment and with him by my side I felt super safe the whole time. I really recommend that if you ever wanted to try these sports, USE HIM he is amazing! The resort has hammocks all over and if you just want to relax, then they are perfect...
Overall I loved the place so much I extended my stay from 4 days to a week and I didn't want to leave. One of the other guests was initially there for 5 days and he was going into his 4'th week! Ahau Tulum is not your traditional 5 star resort with marble floors, I have been to many of those resorts in top beach destinations around the world, Ahau Tulum beat them all the way in every way and my overall experience has been un matched, I can't wait to go back!
I highly recommend this experience.

Room Tip: There is no pool. You live on the beach close to the ocean... Book the downstairs suite if you w...
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed in Tulum at Ahau for 4 nights starting last Monday. I had high expectations based on the reviews on TA but my preconception was not close to the realization.

I stayed in a guest room and that was a great way to go for the price! The staff was unbelievably friendly and accomodating. The landscaping of the grounds were beautiful and the food was the best I have ever had in Mexico.

Pepe, the GM there, was so nice. He gave me a lift one day to town when he noticed I had been waiting for a while for a collectivo. He also said hi all the time and asked how things were.

What an experience. The beach was awesome and I will be back for sure.

DO NOT CONSIDER ANY OTHER PLACE TO STAY IN TULUM. YOUR WORK IS DONE. STAY HERE. YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY YOU DID!

Thanks to Pepe, Edgar, Jamie, Joaquin and Iris!

Room Tip: Just ask and they will tell you.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hola,

The fact that we are a small hotel give us the great oportunity to meet almost all of our guest, it is our pleasure to serve you and try to help in any way we can.

We really appreciate the great review and also the comment about the food in our restaurant, we have been trying new dishes and make sure our menu has something for everybody.

We hope to see you soon back in Tulum.

Gracias
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Oh my, where to begin? Ahau Tulum is such a magical place to spend a vacation. They are accommodating and aim to make your vacation the best. The rooms are comfortable and exotic, the view is breath-taking, the staff is kind and helpful, and good vibes circle the entire area. I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody, it has everything you would want to relax and have a stress free vacation. It stands to be one of the most beautiful places and adventures I have ever been a part of. I truly feel blessed for having been able to experience its beauty.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
PepeEscalante, Manager at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Hola!

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Ahau. It is our pleasure to provide you with a relaxing, comfortable accomodation in an already beautiful environment. The staff and guests together create the good vibes that keep this place going. Thank you for choosing Ahau, please come back and see us again soon. Many blessings.

Been to Ahau Tulum? Share your experiences!