“Carefree Seaside Escape” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brooklyn, NY
“Carefree Seaside Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

Zamas quite literally rocks! With a variety of excellent live music every night in their uncommonly large and perfectly situated restaurant, Zamas excels past its competitors on the crowded yet still peaceful beaches of Tulum. We stayed for several nights in an extremely spacious, clean and breezy room. David, at the front desk, was as pleasant and helpful as you could ask for. Just a first class outfit and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

Zamas is nice. The rooms (cabana 7) was great except for 2 things. 1. Noise level from the road. It is too close to the raod. 2. Noise level from resturant was load particularly when there was entertainment.
he beach is very small and somewhat disappointing. We went to other beaches during the day.
We loved Tulum and will go back but would stay elsewhere. We will go back to eat though.

boston, ma usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

The visual appeal of the restaurant drew us in. Sitting right on the beach it looked fabulous. The food was italian themed and better than average for the area, but the place was jammed and service was the slowest we had in the area, very very slow, and rude.

I would suggest that if it is not overwhelmed by a tour group, which it appeared to be, it might be worth it. if it looks crowded, there are better options along the road. the waiters all seemed disgruntled, spoke very little, wandered around frowning and basically looked as if they hated life. After asking three times for the check and waiting 45 minutes for it we put down what we thought the amount would be in cash on the table, rounding up to be safe and including a tip and eventually left.

interesting side note....decent Italian reds were cheaper than some average chilean or argentinian wines that I know from past tastings. odd but true aberration in the wine list.

Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

First of all, I am NOT a Four Seasons/Ritz (marble counters, 5 billion thread count sheets) type of guy. So this review has nothing to do with Zamas not fitting into that mold.

The single biggest problem with the hotel, in my opinion, is that it is split in half by a fairly busy two-lane road. The beach and common areas (reception, restaurant, etc.) are to the east of the road; the Garden Cabanas are to the west of it; and the road cuts right through. Literally every inch of the hotel is within 150 feet of this road - and some parts are much closer. During the day (7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.) I would guess an average of 10 to 12 cars per minute drive past/through the resort, and there is lighter traffic all throughout the night. Because this is rural Mexico, many of the cars are old and loud, and some seem to have lost their mufflers.

My family and I stayed in a Garden Cabana for 7 nights for Spring Break. Both bedrooms were about 40 - 50 feet from this road, and we clearly heard traffic all day and night. What's more, our cabana was located about 200 feet down this road from the main hotel. So, several times a day we had to walk with our small kids (5 and 7 years old) on the side of this road (no sidewalks or shoulders), shielding them from the traffic as we hugged the fences that surround the other cabanas so as to stay as far away from the traffic as possible.

The cabanas have no A/C and are supposed to be cooled by the ocean breeze. The breezes are fairly refreshing, but none of the cabana windows or doors have any mechanisms to keep them open. So, depending on the direction of the wind, some windows and doors will not stay open, or will abruptly shut when the wind changes directions (the glass in one of our patio doors actually broke when it was slammed in this fashion). We wound up improvising by using ripped-up trash bags to hold some of the windows open, so that we could get enough breeze to cool the room.

The electricity in the room is solar-powered, so several mornings we had no electricity until 8:30 or 9:00. Oh - and we had no running water for about half of one day, due to something breaking in the water system.

The beach is small and there are a great many rocks - both on shore and within 20 or 30 feet of shore. This makes playing in the surf with your kids difficult, and sometimes painful. I will say the beach is pretty to look at and hardly ever crowded. However, again, the road runs the entire length of the beach, about 30 feet from it.

The restaurant is highly revered but my wife and I found it to be just average. We live in Texas, so we eat quite a bit of Mexican food - both traditional and Tex-Mex - and we found most of the food there somewhat lacking in flavor. Also, one night at dinner I got food poisoning and we're pretty sure my wife's margarita was laced with some sort of drug (a "rufy"?). She went from stone sober to severely dizzy and disoriented after about 3 sips. Very bizarre.

On a bright note, we found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. The wait staff at the restaurant was very slow at times, but I'm told that's to be expected in that area.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

As we arrive, everyone seems to look at us, no...wait, stare like we were aliens from another planet. It wasn't until the last day of our stay that people started to be nice or seem nice. Even the people that were staying there, a lot of Europeans, seem to be as hostile & pompous as the hotel representatives. Other than that, the rooms has a homely feeling. But, they do any turn down service. So no to replacing wet towels, re-spreading your bed, ridding sand from the floors, or trying to rid the bugs and roaches that come throughout the day & night. But, weather is nice. Some of the people there were annoyingly pretentious. The beach is small, rocky, and colder than the surrounding beaches. You have to go where the locals go to experience a cleaner beach. The food is over priced, please travel along Tulum Ave, there are tons of better food there, and did I forget %50 cheaper?

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

Never stayed at the Zama cabanas but have eaten at the restaurant numerous times over the last 10 years. Never had a bad experience. Have even driven down all the way from Cancun to sit at the beach and eat at the restaurant. The food was always good, fish is the best, and the drinks even better. Never had problems with the service. A little knowledge of Spanish helps. Great view with the waves braking on the small beach where it is a little difficult to swim. Often fishermen pull unto the beach and the restaurant serves super fresh grouper or red snapper.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
New England, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

I'll have to echo the sentiments of other reviewers who were critical of the service received at the restaurant. I went there based on what I read in the guidebook I was using for my Yucatan trip, however I was very disappointed with my experience at Zamas. We went there for lunch, arriving around 11:20 or so. The waiter presented us with a menu which had breakfast on one side, and lunch options on the other. At 11:25 when he came over to take our order, he said that they were only serving breakfast at that time, even though I wanted lunch, and refused to let me order lunch. So I ended up ordering a crepe, even though I was looking forward to trying some of their seafood on the lunch menu. A few minutes later he went to take the order of the table next to us, and they wanted breakfast, but he told them that they were now serving lunch; it was 11:30. I couldn't understand why the waiter didn't just offer to allow us to order lunch, or simply wait 5 minutes for him to take our order at 11:30 so that it would be made after the cutoff. Not too bright of him, considering the lunch meal would have been much more expensive, resulting in more profit for the hotel and a bigger tip for him. The breakfast crepe I ate ended up being totally bland and overpriced. I was so upset with the level of service that I wanted to leave a very small tip, but i was shocked to see that the bill had the tip already included!! WATCH OUT! -- DO NOT DOUBLE-TIP -- this place (and many others in the Tulum area) add a tip (either called "servico" or "propina") to the bottom of the bill, but most people may look at the bill quickly and assume the small charge at the bottom is some sort of tax and end up tipping again. Usually this automatic tip is 10%.

One positive thing about the restaurant is it's great location on the beach. However, I wouldn't want to stay at the hotel, since you don't have any privacy on the beach -- the restaurant overlooks the beach that the people staying at the hotel use, so if you're on the beach you have dozens of people staring at you the whole time.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Zamas? Share your experiences!