“Paradisio” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 77 Hotels in Tulum
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Paradisio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My family and I stayed at Zamas every Christmas for 10 to 14 days every year between '04 and '07 and had fantastic stays in a number of different accomodations from the beachside cabanas, to the houses on the main road, to the garden cabanas. The fresh pineapple lassies, juevos rancheros, and fresh deliciously prepared seafood are some of my fondest memories of our travels to the Yucatan Peninsula. Zamas has a great restaurant, great hotel accomodations, and is in a beautiful part of the world near the world famous Tulum mayan ruins. The owners and the staff are always attentive and friendly, and I cannot wait to visit again soon!

Room Tip: The beachside cabanas are beautiful!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ZAMASHotel, General Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories of ZAMAS. We hope to see you again very soon! In addition to your favorite menu items, we’ve added a few more to our repertoire and can’t wait for you to try them. Write and let us know when you are coming and we’ll make sure you get the VIP treatment. Warm regards from all of us at ZAMAS.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I would highly recommend Zamas to anyone planning a trip to Tulum. Paradise is the only word to describe it! Cute and authentic beach cabanas with all of the little extras you expect from a boutique hotel. The rooms are clean and fresh with comfy beds and you fall asleep and wake up to the sound of the waves! Excellent restaurant with live music every night and the hotel staff are the nicest, most helpful we encountered in Tulum.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
ZAMASHotel, General Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed our “authentic beach cabanas with all the little extras.” Tulum is a special place and we aim to provide an ambiance that compliments its natural beauty. Please let us know when you’d like to return and we will do what we can to ensure your stay is just as special next time. Warm regards from all of us at ZAMAS.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Simple and basic, but comfortable, super romantic posada on the beach.
It offers space for a comfy, fresh queensize bed and a walk i shower. Thats it. But that's alsoi what I liked so much about it, you don't need anything else. And it's a perfect place to have one of your best sleeps/dreams ever, with the sound of the waving sea all night!
In the morning when you get out of bed, within two steps you're with your feet standing in the white, soft sand staring at the ocean.
Zamas restaurant is very nice decorated and they serve good food. Very nice breakfast menu!

Room Tip: check in which season you are planning to stay in this area, cause sometime the beaches are covered...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thanks for the lovely comments about your “super romantic” holiday at ZAMAS. We’re delighted to hear that you liked our “good food” too. Please let us know when you want to return and we’ll do everything we can to make your return visit extra special.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a 6 day stay. We loved it!

We stayed in a beachfront cabana, sleeps 3. We were very comfortable. Slept like babies.

The ocean is just steps away. You sleep to the sound if the ocean. There is a road behind the cabana. Traffic sounds did not bother us.

The food was great. As were the cocktails. Service was always great. No rush, no pressure.

We highly recommend!

However, if you are wanting techno music by a pool, filled with loud drunk people, who can't wait to hit the next buffet...you should avoid.

• Stayed May 2013
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Zamastista, we’re thrilled to hear that you loved your stay with us and we can’t wait for you to return. Let us know when that might be so we can roll out our version of the red carpet for you. Warmest from all of us at ZAMAS.
Larchmont, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I just returned from a four night stay at Zamas and my only regret was that I did not have more time there. The Tulum beach zone is quite spread out (more so than I realized) but Zamas is located within a great little cluster of other hotels, restaurants/bars, a couple gift shops, convenience store, and a dive shop that are all within a 3-5 minute walk. There are several other beachfront restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive north or south. My room was one of the small beachfront cabanas located about 30 steps from the water. It is very small but I wasn't in my room much aside from showering and sleeping. The room was clean and came with two hammocks right outside the door for relaxing. They also provide you with bottled water, which is always nice. I also have a water bottle with a UV sterilization light so drinking tap water was an option for me as well. The small beach area is nice although there can be a little seaweed that builds up. It can be a little rocky in the water but water shoes solve that problem. There are also two beautiful public beach access areas about 2 miles north of the hotel along the beach rode, which are very easy to get to if you have a bike or rental car. The beach by the Tulum ruins is also very nice for swimming, although it can get quite crowded at times. It is very easy to get into the town of Tulum with a rental car and inexpensive taxis are also readily available in the area. The restaurant is also very good. Service was laid-back but still pretty good and I found the food to be excellent.

I recommend renting a car to explore the area further. There are so many great sites within a 2 hour drive of Zamas (Chichen Itza - 2 hours, Ek-Balam - 90 minutes, Coba - 1 hour, Muyil - 45 minutes, Tulum ruins - 15 minutes, Xel-Ha (25 minutes), tons of Cenotes within an hour of Tulum to swim/snorkel/dive), the Sian Ka'an biosphere reserve - begins about 20 minutes south of Zamas). I could easily have spent two weeks here.

The other part I absolutely have to mention was the guy working at reception. I believe his name was Mariano and he is originally from Argentina. Not only was he very nice and makes you feel welcome but he was also exceptionally helpful with suggestions on sites to see, tours, and restaurants.

People need have realistic expectations and understand that Zamas is a rustic beachfront hotel with limited services. There are no phones, televisions, or air conditioning in the rooms. And yes, it's the beach so there are a few bugs and you probably will get a few bug bites. But that is part of the charm and why I ultimately enjoyed my time there and would not hesitate to return. So grab your book, a cold beer, and lay back in your hammock for a while. It is supposed to be an escape from modern conveniences and being constantly connected to to your phone/tablet/computer. If you understand that and force yourself to disconnect from everyday life, then you will really enjoy your stay. If you don't, then I recommend turning around and driving north back to Cancun or Playa del Carmen to stay behind the security gate at one of the massive, sterile all-inclusive resorts that dot the coastline.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for the delightful comments about ZAMAS and your informative review of the Tulum area. We loved to hear that Mariano, guest services, was helpful and knowledgeable about things to do during your stay. We too wish you had stayed longer – come back and we’ll help you unplug once again. We hope to see you soon!!!
Vail, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a long weekend getaway. The location is great, it's close to town and right on the beach. The staff was very friendly. Everything was convienant from the dive shop being across the street to the restaurant being located right on the beach.

Our room was spacious but a bit dark for being on the lower level. We had an amazing front porch with hammocks to relax in. Overall this was an easy, laid back vacation.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
We’re so happy you enjoyed your stay with an “amazing front porch with hammocks” and thrilled you appreciated our friendly staff. Sorry to hear that the room was a little dark for your taste; our Jungle Garden rooms work for budget-conscious guests who will spend most of their time outdoors (or who like to sleep in!). We hope to see you again soon – let us know when you plan to come and we’ll see what sunny accommodations we may have available for you!
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My recent 6-night stay at Zamas was delightful. I was looking for a quiet, peaceful vacation and this hotel provided that with clean, attractive accommodations, and a delightful open-air restaurant right on the beach that was comfortably casual. The managers of the property, including of the restaurant, were very attentive; in fact, I was upgraded to a larger more comfortable room after I mentioned that my room didn't have adequate ventilation. Since I'd traveled to Tulum previously, I was not interested in any excursions - I just wanted to relax in the shade of a palapa and watch the tide roll in and roll out while sipping a margarita. And that's exactly what I did. I'm already looking forward to my next visit to Zamas.

Room Tip: A second floor room is desirable for view and the ventilation.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments. We’re pleased to hear that our staff was attentive and the ambiance delightful and attractive. Moreover, we’re thrilled to hear that you got exactly the vacation that you wanted. We make every effort to tailor our service for each individual guest. Whether it’s an excursion-heavy itinerary or a laid-back beach trip – we want our guests to have the stay they’re looking for. We look forward to your return visit!!!

Been to Zamas? Share your experiences!