“aaahhhh...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 76 Hotels in Tulum
Texas
“aaahhhh...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a 6 day stay. We loved it!

We stayed in a beachfront cabana, sleeps 3. We were very comfortable. Slept like babies.

The ocean is just steps away. You sleep to the sound if the ocean. There is a road behind the cabana. Traffic sounds did not bother us.

The food was great. As were the cocktails. Service was always great. No rush, no pressure.

We highly recommend!

However, if you are wanting techno music by a pool, filled with loud drunk people, who can't wait to hit the next buffet...you should avoid.

• Stayed May 2013
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Zamastista, we’re thrilled to hear that you loved your stay with us and we can’t wait for you to return. Let us know when that might be so we can roll out our version of the red carpet for you. Warmest from all of us at ZAMAS.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
Larchmont, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I just returned from a four night stay at Zamas and my only regret was that I did not have more time there. The Tulum beach zone is quite spread out (more so than I realized) but Zamas is located within a great little cluster of other hotels, restaurants/bars, a couple gift shops, convenience store, and a dive shop that are all within a 3-5 minute walk. There are several other beachfront restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive north or south. My room was one of the small beachfront cabanas located about 30 steps from the water. It is very small but I wasn't in my room much aside from showering and sleeping. The room was clean and came with two hammocks right outside the door for relaxing. They also provide you with bottled water, which is always nice. I also have a water bottle with a UV sterilization light so drinking tap water was an option for me as well. The small beach area is nice although there can be a little seaweed that builds up. It can be a little rocky in the water but water shoes solve that problem. There are also two beautiful public beach access areas about 2 miles north of the hotel along the beach rode, which are very easy to get to if you have a bike or rental car. The beach by the Tulum ruins is also very nice for swimming, although it can get quite crowded at times. It is very easy to get into the town of Tulum with a rental car and inexpensive taxis are also readily available in the area. The restaurant is also very good. Service was laid-back but still pretty good and I found the food to be excellent.

I recommend renting a car to explore the area further. There are so many great sites within a 2 hour drive of Zamas (Chichen Itza - 2 hours, Ek-Balam - 90 minutes, Coba - 1 hour, Muyil - 45 minutes, Tulum ruins - 15 minutes, Xel-Ha (25 minutes), tons of Cenotes within an hour of Tulum to swim/snorkel/dive), the Sian Ka'an biosphere reserve - begins about 20 minutes south of Zamas). I could easily have spent two weeks here.

The other part I absolutely have to mention was the guy working at reception. I believe his name was Mariano and he is originally from Argentina. Not only was he very nice and makes you feel welcome but he was also exceptionally helpful with suggestions on sites to see, tours, and restaurants.

People need have realistic expectations and understand that Zamas is a rustic beachfront hotel with limited services. There are no phones, televisions, or air conditioning in the rooms. And yes, it's the beach so there are a few bugs and you probably will get a few bug bites. But that is part of the charm and why I ultimately enjoyed my time there and would not hesitate to return. So grab your book, a cold beer, and lay back in your hammock for a while. It is supposed to be an escape from modern conveniences and being constantly connected to to your phone/tablet/computer. If you understand that and force yourself to disconnect from everyday life, then you will really enjoy your stay. If you don't, then I recommend turning around and driving north back to Cancun or Playa del Carmen to stay behind the security gate at one of the massive, sterile all-inclusive resorts that dot the coastline.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for the delightful comments about ZAMAS and your informative review of the Tulum area. We loved to hear that Mariano, guest services, was helpful and knowledgeable about things to do during your stay. We too wish you had stayed longer – come back and we’ll help you unplug once again. We hope to see you soon!!!
Vail, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a long weekend getaway. The location is great, it's close to town and right on the beach. The staff was very friendly. Everything was convienant from the dive shop being across the street to the restaurant being located right on the beach.

Our room was spacious but a bit dark for being on the lower level. We had an amazing front porch with hammocks to relax in. Overall this was an easy, laid back vacation.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
We’re so happy you enjoyed your stay with an “amazing front porch with hammocks” and thrilled you appreciated our friendly staff. Sorry to hear that the room was a little dark for your taste; our Jungle Garden rooms work for budget-conscious guests who will spend most of their time outdoors (or who like to sleep in!). We hope to see you again soon – let us know when you plan to come and we’ll see what sunny accommodations we may have available for you!
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My recent 6-night stay at Zamas was delightful. I was looking for a quiet, peaceful vacation and this hotel provided that with clean, attractive accommodations, and a delightful open-air restaurant right on the beach that was comfortably casual. The managers of the property, including of the restaurant, were very attentive; in fact, I was upgraded to a larger more comfortable room after I mentioned that my room didn't have adequate ventilation. Since I'd traveled to Tulum previously, I was not interested in any excursions - I just wanted to relax in the shade of a palapa and watch the tide roll in and roll out while sipping a margarita. And that's exactly what I did. I'm already looking forward to my next visit to Zamas.

Room Tip: A second floor room is desirable for view and the ventilation.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments. We’re pleased to hear that our staff was attentive and the ambiance delightful and attractive. Moreover, we’re thrilled to hear that you got exactly the vacation that you wanted. We make every effort to tailor our service for each individual guest. Whether it’s an excursion-heavy itinerary or a laid-back beach trip – we want our guests to have the stay they’re looking for. We look forward to your return visit!!!
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just spent a little over a week in Cabana 7....beach front. All in all, our stay was fabulous....the plus items included; our beach front Cabana location was literally right-on-the-beach, the food was a solid 7 out of 10 (margaritas a 10!), the live music was amazing and the staff was just wonderful. We enjoyed our stay there quite a bit. The area is truly paradise...reminds me of Thailand a bit. The negatives included our Cabana location backed up to the road, which wasn't that big of deal, but it felt a little "exposed". When sitting in the lovely restaurant, you view the beach ....and then a good portion of the road (again, feels a little exposed). Also, the beach is swimmable, but there are far superior beaches just a few clicks down the road either way. Lastly, you will get stung for a much higher nightly rate if you book through their website. It is best to call the hotel directly (do not email them, it gets routed to a booking agent and you will $100 more PER NIGHT).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
We’re very happy to hear that your stay was “fabulous.” We continually strive to provide excellent service, good food on the beach and a fun vibe – and we’re thrilled to hear we hit those marks with you! Regarding reservations, our rates are consistent online and at the hotel. We have promotions from time to time and our receptionists will offer these onsite based upon availability. A small hotel, we do what we can to provide quality service at competitive rates. The cove of our “lovely restaurant,” is the site of numerous photo shoots and is considered a spectacular site by many; it is just a short walk to a long stretch of open beach. We look forward to seeing you another time – please let us know if you’d like to return and we will do our best to make your stay fabulous once again.
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Well, my girlfriend and I stayed @ Zamas recently and really enjoyed ourselves. We stayed right on the beach, enjoyed beautiful sunrises, delicious guacamole and fresh shrimp, and some downright tasty tequila. Rates are very reasonable, staff is courteous, helpful, and very friendly. The rooms were very clean, the showers were awesome, and proximity to many Tulum attractions makes Zamas a can't miss choice for your trip. When you go, be sure to say hi to Roger!

--Jon + Gillian

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thanks for staying with us at ZAMAS and sharing your experience here. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed your room, the beautiful sunrises, and the delicious food and drink!!! Roger says “hola” and we all look forward to your return stay!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I were overwhelmed by our stay at Zamas. It was even better than we imagined it would be, and we were all quite excited to begin with. The staff, the location, the variety of wonderful things to do and see made every day lovely. Town, a large grocery store, the ruins, a convenient bodega, and choices for food and beach lounging were all a walk, bike ride, or economical cab ride away. The biosphere was amazing too! I recommend a tour with the option to float through the mangrove canals.
Zamas is in a great central location but still quiet with its own beach and amazing food! I can't wait to go back again! Thanks, Susan and Zamas!

• Stayed March 2013
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for the lovely comments about ZAMAS – we're thrilled that you loved Tulum and we're so happy that we made your trip that much more special by staying with us. We look forward to your return visit very soon!

Been to Zamas? Share your experiences!